Match Thread: Copa America Group A - Matchday 1 - Argentina v Canada - June 20, 2024 - 8pm local time (ET) / 5pm PT

On 6/21/2024 at 3:54 PM, narduch said:

Is this for sure?

Or will we get the bait and switch like Qatar claiming they can Air Condition outdoor stadiums?

They did air condition the outdoor stadiums.   And, it was an awefull feeling inside the stadium and a terrible experience as a result of this.  I couldn't stand it and almost wanted to leave at half time at  one game.  I was at the KOR-URU game that started at 4PM and there were vents underneath each seat blowing cold air.   So with the inclined seats in a stadium,  this meant that vent in the seat behind me was blowing freezing air directly on me throughout the whole match.  It was awful.   Imaging being a Canadian in Qatar and complaining about the cold.  

Luckily,  the other matches I attended were in the evening.   So, thankfully,  no air conditioning

Edited by Free kick

54 minutes ago, Free kick said:

This doesnt bode well for WC 2026.  Seems that there will be several of these kind of surfaces (including in Vancouver) planned for WC 26

The reason why this event is in the US, aside from money, is so they can do dry-runs of some of the venues and plans they have for WC26, these pitches included.

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It doesn't matter, vs a far superior team if you are in it late then it's a merit. 

According to Scaloni and their players, and the Argentine press, that stop on the Staq header was also world class. I was not so sure, it was fairly in the centre, but they felt they got away thanks to great keeping. David could not hit the net, Tajon had one, Larin got to a near post and the keeper did well, we had a shot from Shaff that Osorio softened, Davies tried to repeat his goal vs. Madrid, there was his free kick that hit the wall, then a rebound, we had ten total shots, 18 touches in their box, 4 corners, they fouled us far more than we did them..there are quite a few Canada attacking plays in there and statistical evidence that says you can't just look at one end and not the other. 

Edit we were also denied the Shaff free kick on the edge of the box because the ref and assistant were too cowardly to call it, fearing it was a penalty. That was a lack of integrity and robbed us of a free kick chance in deep.

Anyway, we each have our opinions.   

Considering that in the WC qualifications we beat and tied both the USA and Mexico, it is not unreasonable to expect results from our next two games. The US and Mexico are rated above Chile and Peru.

Let's see how those games play out. I hope I'm wrong but I have a bad feeling about what's in store for CanMNT.

12 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Considering that in the WC qualifications we beat and tied both the USA and Mexico, it is not unreasonable to expect results from our next two games. The US and Mexico are rated above Chile and Peru.

Let's see how those games play out. I hope I'm wrong but I have a bad feeling about what's in store for CanMNT.

Why bother letting them play out? 

You said you knew Marsch was a bad coach 12 years ago, right?😉 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

2 hours ago, Free kick said:

They did air condition the outdoor stadiums.   And, it was an awefull feeling inside the stadium and a terrible experience as a result of this.  I couldn't stand it and almost wanted to leave at half time at  one game.  I was at the KOR-URU game that started at 4PM and there were vents underneath each seat blowing cold air.   So with the inclined seats in a stadium,  this meant that vent in the seat behind me was blowing freezing air directly on me throughout the whole match.  It was awful.   Imaging being a Canadian in Qatar and complaining about the cold.  

Luckily,  the other matches I attended were in the evening.   So, thankfully,  no air conditioning

They also air conditioned the outdoor malls.  This led to a comical situation where we went to a restaurant at one and the person asked if we wanted to sit inside or outside.  And we said inside, as it was too cold outside.  She said “no problem, sir.  We have heaters outside”. So not only were they cooling the outside, they were heating it as well.

44 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

USA yes but I would argue Mexico and Chile are similarly rated. The Chileans are rounding into form at the right time under new their manager.

Mexico, meanwhile, are in the midst of their worst generation ever, with no signs of hope on the horizon. 

I don't what the odds makers are saying, but Mexico and Chile probably have similar odds to get out of the group stage. Mexico is essentially playing at home though, so if they have better odds to get out that's probably why, because it's surely not down to what Mexico is producing on the field of play. 

8 minutes ago, eramosat said:

I have no prediction for the outcome.  I would just like a place to discuss those teams' tendancies, and Canada possible responses.

We, collectively, can coach well, at times!

There's a ticket thread. Maybe there?

Edit: Nvm. That's a thread for Canada's games vs each team. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

A question about the first goal:

Does Crepeau foul Mac Allister - and ref plays advantage?

If so, should it have been a card? Crepeau took him out without touching the ball.

At the time, I thought Crepeau would get sent off.

41 minutes ago, PastPros said:

A question about the first goal:

Does Crepeau foul Mac Allister - and ref plays advantage?

If so, should it have been a card? Crepeau took him out without touching the ball.

At the time, I thought Crepeau would get sent off.

It was a penalty yes but it goes a yellow ,  not a red ,  he allowed continuity since the pass was delivered to Julian Álvarez 

21 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

It was a penalty yes but it goes a yellow ,  not a red ,  he allowed continuity since the pass was delivered to Julian Álvarez 

Should have come back and given the yellow then.

Maybe the thinking was the ball was gone, McAllister stayed in to make his play and then the contact came from both players "doing their job" as it were.

But there were strange decisions, not necessarily all one way.

1 hour ago, red card said:

Conmebol being transparent about VAR decisions:

Yup, that angle showed that the point of the foul was outside the box.   When i saw it live,  I wasn't sure.

Edited by Free kick

On 6/21/2024 at 9:01 AM, maplebanana said:

Watching all the media mentally fellate Messi makes me want to praise Ronaldo purely out of spite. And I effin' hate Ronaldo.

All the media (on fox at least) is tripping over themselves to praise Ronaldo for *gasp* passing the ball. 

I retract my statement. Both Messi and Ronaldo can go fuck themselves.

25 minutes ago, maplebanana said:

All the media (on fox at least) is tripping over themselves to praise Ronaldo for *gasp* passing the ball. 

I retract my statement. Both Messi and Ronaldo can go fuck themselves.

For those that didn't watch, it was indeed very unselfish of Ronaldo to pass on that play, given he had a good chance to score and what it would have meant if he did. 

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

For those that didn't watch, it was indeed very unselfish of Ronaldo to pass on that play, given he had a good chance to score and what it would have meant if he did. 

Yeah and honestly, at already 2-0 and cruising, I bet almost everyone watching thought he would take the shot.  I would have bet on it - and lost.   

4 hours ago, Kadenge said:

No penalty, but very very close. How the ref missed the foul is a bigger issue. Not saying we would have scored on the free kick but that is in a very dangerous position. 

Put the whistle to his mouth and then decided against it when he realized it could have been a penalty.

Thought the ref actually did well on the whole but this was very poor.

Edited by theaub