Match Thread: Copa America Group A - Matchday 1 - Argentina v Canada - June 20, 2024 - 8pm local time (ET) / 5pm PT

Thoughts:

-Crepeau is our #1 and as much as I loved Borjan, feel a lot more comfortable with him in the back

- Shaf needs to be the first sub off the bench always. Loved his pace and his tenacity as soon as he came in the game. I don't mind the idea of him starting over Millar/Taj next game. He's earned it. 

- Bombito has a very bright future but he looked shaky all night. Lot of mistakes and seemed like he was losing his man a few times that led to grade A chances. 

- As much as I loved us going for the result I just hope that second goal doesn't come into play for the goal difference. I feel like 4 points in this group won't do it to make it out. (Let's hope for a Peru and Chile draw)

-Overall, it was a good effort and tbh this game feels very similar to Belgium in the sense we had grade A chances but we need to finish them. Going through the gauntlet of Netherlands, France and Argentina will bode well the next few matches. Let's get some results!

7 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I have seen the one where he got the ball and then the leg still given as at least a yellow and a foul because of the reckless nature. 

I mean I'd win a parlay if they record it as one cause Cornelius and Alistair held up their end of the over 0.5 fouls bargain, and we had another 0-0 first half and lost by 2. It paid well dammit. So yeah, reckless foul moise!

Edited by Mattd97

1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

He sells Bielsas?  Where does he get so many? 

Bielsa's philosophy of football they recalled to the average people that big club Leeds replace El Loco with someone similar to him in his line of thinking and feeling the game. 

Marsch is like the Jamaica coach, they are really good coaches !

1 minute ago, canadasoccer20 said:

Thoughts:

-Crepeau is our #1 and as much as I loved Borjan, feel a lot more comfortable with him in the back

- Shaf needs to be the first sub off the bench always. Loved his pace and his tenacity as soon as he came in the game. I don't mind the idea of him starting over Millar/Taj next game. He's earned it. 

- Bombito has a very bright future but he looked shaky all night. Lot of mistakes and seemed like he was losing his man a few times that led to grade A chances. 

- As much as I loved us going for the result I just hope that second goal doesn't come into play for the goal difference. I feel like 4 points in this group won't do it to make it out. (Let's hope for a Peru and Chile draw)

-Overall, it was a good effort and tbh this game feels very similar to Belgium in the sense we had grade A chances but we need to finish them. Going through the gauntlet of Netherlands, France and Argentina will bode well the next few matches. Let's get some results!

Agree with this. I'm less concerned about Bombito right now. It wasn't a great game for him, but give it time. Love Borjan and usually trusted him (especially in the earlier years), but Crepeau is amazing. What a game from him. Should be in a top league and might well end up there after this tourney. 

Davies missed a sitter in first half he kicked it row z inside the box very clear 

David 2nd half missed a sitter too

Eustaquio attemp well headed on was a world class save by DIBU 

Just now, JAVIERF said:

Davies missed a sitter in first half he kicked it row z inside the box very clear 

David 2nd half missed a sitter too

Eustaquio attemp well headed on was a world class save by DIBU 

Buchanan too.

Your best players had a chance and somehow they didn't take it

Millar and Kone had too many giveaways.  Bombito had some rough moments.  

Whenever Davies made a run and got anywhere near their box, he was always dangerous.  We need that more often.  

Marsch took too long to make changes. 

Gotta love the Shaff. 

Crepeau is a bad ass.  

Larin had a good game, good leadership. 

It will get harder from here on out.  

Messi on Canada " we knew it was a very eclectic and athletic team this  Canada football,  there was no free spaces in the first half they played with a lot of tenacity and intensity, they reagrup very good". He also complained about Bombito reckless unnecessary challenge he said " I don't know who he is this fellow but he almost breaks me in half since he lost ball control I GOT LUCKY ". 

TYC Sports Argentina 

Edited by JAVIERF

I sort of think both Kone and Bombito fell into a bit of a mental trap: "Wow, I can play with these guys (France)!  Bring on Argentina!"  But Argentina played very different than France - they pressed and counter-pressed aggressively, their man-marking gave our guys very little time on the ball and took away the passing lanes.  And both Kone and Bombito, with their newfound confidence, thought "No problem - I got this."  Which in turn led to numerous giveaways that would've been calamitous if not for the grace of God and hands of Crepeau.

To be fair though, it wasn't just them - when Shaff, AJ and JD pressed the Argentina left side, they coughed it up just like we did which led to chances just like they had.  But that's the nature of international soccer - you have to be prepared for radically different looks from radically different (but world class) players every game.  I chalk it up as a great learning experience for our talented but green players.     

2 minutes ago, GasPed said:

I sort of think both Kone and Bombito fell into a bit of a mental trap: "Wow, I can play with these guys (France)!  Bring on Argentina!"  But Argentina played very different than France - they pressed and counter-pressed aggressively, their man-marking gave our guys very little time on the ball and took away the passing lanes.  And both Kone and Bombito, with their newfound confidence, thought "No problem - I got this."  Which in turn led to numerous giveaways that would've been calamitous if not for the grace of God and hands of Crepeau.

To be fair though, it wasn't just them - when Shaff, AJ and JD pressed the Argentina left side, they coughed it up just like we did which led to chances just like they had.  But that's the nature of international soccer - you have to be prepared for radically different looks from radically different (but world class) players every game.  I chalk it up as a great learning experience for our talented but green players.     

Messi just trash talked about Bombito' s reckless unnecessary challenge on national television TYC SPORTS after the journalist asked him about his limp 

10 minutes ago, GasPed said:

Agreed. Kone had a lot less space then he did versus France and it was noticeable from the jump that the Argentinas plan was to press hard all game, which led to many fouls on Canada but there aggressive approach worked because players like Kone and Bombito were turning it over many times. Both young players and will learn from this for sure. 

4 minutes ago, Joe Keeper said:

So, just asking.... Can anyone tell me who the televangelists were and what is behind this who offered up a "message of peace" before the anthems? 

Conmebol president Paraguayan Alex Dominguez 

10 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

Scaloni said "that the pitch was atrocious and they could have gotten injured both teams , the. US organization knew we were playing here 60 days earlier and they just placed the real grass 48 HS prior that's a SHAME! " 

Could’ve been worse tbh. The sod they used for nations league was too thin and at times it looked like the match was being played on a trampoline. Either way, MBS is in Atlanta and has a retractable roof; the field should’ve been grass in the first place.

Dibu Martinez  the best " Canada is a strong side with good and renowned footballers that made us difficult even when we were ahead " 

The worst " the pitch was a disaster you can't compare to the EUROCOPA when you play in places like this, the pitch was horrendous "

44 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

Messi on Canada " we knew it was a very eclectic and athletic team this  Canada football,  there was no free spaces in the first half they played with a lot of tenacity and intensity, they reagrup very good". He also complained about Bombito reckless unnecessary challenge he said " I don't know who he is this fellow but he almost breaks me in half since he lost ball control I GOT LUCKY ". 

TYC Sports Argentina 

Baby.

He's not streetwise.