Match Thread: Copa America Group A - Matchday 1 - Argentina v Canada - June 20, 2024 - 8pm local time (ET) / 5pm PT

53 minutes ago, BigMo said:

That was fun. Unlucky not to get rewarded with at least a goal, but getting out of the Argentina opener with that result isn’t so bad.

Blinder of a performance by Crépeau who was my MOTM. Was also impressed by shift Larin put in and would’ve let him finish the game.

Probably one of Kones worst games in an NT shirt, but he is young so the unevenness is expected. I’m excited for the rest of our matches. 

Koné worst player on the pitch by Argentina media 

2nd bombito

2 minutes ago, Kusch to the Corner said:

I kind of think the last 20 minutes or so was pretty naive, on our part pushing so hard for the tie. This could very well come back to bite us. Goal differential will be important as I think there's a very good chance both we and Chile finish with 4 points.

I would be pretty hard on a coach that had us trying to protect a 0-1 loss in the first game of a tournament. 

2 minutes ago, Free kick said:

This has been a re occurance with Kone.  He can look like a super prospect one game.   And look bruttal the next

Yeah, pretty sure we had an entire recent Kone thread discussing this very thing. Consistency is the missing piece for the young man. But what is the key to consistency? For Kone, perhaps, it is about understanding that he does not need to play the killer ball every time. Or something else that I can't quite put my finger on.

1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I would be pretty hard on a coach that had us trying to protect a 0-1 loss in the first game of a tournament. 

Sorry not talking about trying to protect a one goal game. Just not being so aggressive that multiple grade A chances go the other way.

Edited by Kusch to the Corner

2 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Easy to say, but every time that ball went inches wide of the post late, goal diff was all I could think about. 

Edit: This is not KO phase. A different strategy is required. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

Just now, DeRo_Is_King said:

Easy to say, but every time that ball went inches wide of the post late, goal diff was all I could think about. 

At the end of the day its a house money tournament for us.  

The real goal is building a mentality going into 2026.  You kill that a bit not believing in your system the first game that means something.

Opinions. 

6 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

Koné worst player on the pitch by Argentina media 

2nd bombito

Not sure I agree about Bombito but that may have been because I was distracted by how brutal Koné was. 

3 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

At the end of the day its a house money tournament for us.  

The real goal is building a mentality going into 2026.  You kill that a bit not believing in your system the first game that means something.

Opinions. 

Interesting. I like the confidence and I agree that you play to win, but not at the expense of getting exposed for negligent defending (especially in Game 1 of a group stage where you're playing a top team and have a legitimate chance of finishing second). 

12 minutes ago, grigorio said:

Not sure I agree about Bombito but that may have been because I was distracted by how brutal Koné was. 

Plenty of long balls Bombito let bounce. You don’t want to give freebies to Argentina. Luckily they were rusty in the 1st half.

50 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

No , by ourselves and he almost injured Messi , he was horrible check the match again,  they are professionals.  

I think this is shows the delicacy of many Argentina fans, and it reminds me of the challenge Messi took v Nashville (was it MacNaughton?).  Just because it is Messi it is assumed that it was an horrific challenge.  Sure, it was a foul by Bombito, but it just because it was Messi fans like this clutch their pearls.  Bombito played to the level of his experience, and he will hopefully improve next game!

5 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Interesting. I like the confidence and I agree that you play to win, but not at the expense of getting exposed for negligent defending (especially in Game 1 of a group stage where you're playing a top team and have a legitimate chance of finishing second). 

That's always the risk, but it is also risky taking the foot off the gas against a great team.  

If you talk the game of trying to control all aspects of play and then abandon that when you are losing, it seems really hollow.

We have to score goals to advance, let keep trying to get in practice doing that.  

1 minute ago, Watchmen said:

I'm just getting back from the pub and didn't keep up on the thread. Which players are we angry about not being up to snuff against the #1 team in the world?

Obviously, you've read a little bit. 

Just got back from the match. I have maybe a different opinion I haven’t read the whole match thread but here goes. This is first hand from being there. 

I actually thought we did really well all considered. Honestly to put it in perspective Argentina just won the World Cup is reining copa winners and 98 of their player are the best players on some of the best teams in the world. Really. I think in my opinion we looked organised determined and had a tactical identity and held them for most of the game. And even created a few chances ourselves 

take example the right side of Argentina the my had Molina and de Paul who play for athletico and de Maria.. that means that really Davies can’t bomb up and down the line all day. It was relentless down the right side and I think Millar and Davies did a very good job mostly shutting it down. 
their left side which was Alvarez bacuna and macallister… again trying to hold them back doesn’t allow Tajon to get forward. 
through the middle they have parades (Roma) and Messi… yeah it’s going to be a tough game through the middle. 
world class teams have so much quality that they just move the ball and wait. 
crepaux in my mind and most fans around us motm hands down without him it could have been much worse. 

OH  did I mention the save by martinez. World Cup golden glove winner..

I myself don’t think it’s helpful to judge and rip and criticise losing 2-0 in the copa America to Argentinas A team 

i personally want to look at the positives and build on it  I e seen in the past 3 games a real hope and purpose to how we are playing and seen a lot of players gelling and growing which is what we are doing building to the 2026 WC…

rant over  been up for 24 hrs..

2 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Just got back from the match. I have maybe a different opinion I haven’t read the whole match thread but here goes. This is first hand from being there. 

I actually thought we did really well all considered. Honestly to put it in perspective Argentina just won the World Cup is reining copa winners and 98 of their player are the best players on some of the best teams in the world. Really. I think in my opinion we looked organised determined and had a tactical identity and held them for most of the game. And even created a few chances ourselves 

take example the right side of Argentina the my had Molina and de Paul who play for athletico and de Maria.. that means that really Davies can’t bomb up and down the line all day. It was relentless down the right side and I think Millar and Davies did a very good job mostly shutting it down. 
their left side which was Alvarez bacuna and macallister… again trying to hold them back doesn’t allow Tajon to get forward. 
through the middle they have parades (Roma) and Messi… yeah it’s going to be a tough game through the middle. 
crepaux in my mind and most fans around us motm hands down without him it could have been much worse. 

I myself don’t think it’s helpful to judge and rip and criticise losing 2-0 in the copa America to Argentinas A team 

i personally want to look at the positives and build on it  I e seen in the past 3 games a real hope and purpose to how we are playing and seen a lot of players gelling and growing which is what we are doing building to the 2026 WC…

Pretty good summary. 

3 minutes ago, spitfire said:

The overall sentiment is positive. I think everyone saw a good performance hindered by some poor finishing and silly mistakes.

12 minutes ago, RJB said:

I think this is shows the delicacy of many Argentina fans, and it reminds me of the challenge Messi took v Nashville (was it MacNaughton?).  Just because it is Messi it is assumed that it was an horrific challenge.  Sure, it was a foul by Bombito, but it just because it was Messi fans like this clutch their pearls.  Bombito played to the level of his experience, and he will hopefully improve next game!

Do you both mean Cornelius? Bombito was recorded with 0 fouls committed