Match Thread: Copa America Group A - Matchday 1 - Argentina v Canada - June 20, 2024 - 8pm local time (ET) / 5pm PT

Just now, Floortom said:

Not a terrible result and a pretty expected performance overall. The passing was abominable - particularly from Steph and Kone who looked terrible at times.

Obviously we’ve played three of the best teams in the world the past month but zero goals isn’t encouraging - we knew that was a problem against non-minnows and no signs of improvement. We had some good chances again but the players need to do better.

We scored against the States and Mexico, Japan, Morocco, Croatia.  Should have scored against Belgium. 

Get settled elsewhere, it will come I think.

Just now, DeRo_Is_King said:

This makes sense, but we still gave the ball away too often. 

81% not great.

Not abominable but not great.

We need to learn to do better with the ball obvioustly. Argentina aren't rapid like France but they are really quick and smart and did not let us rest. 

Hopefully we put the fear into Peru early, and we can pass our way into some confidence. 

1 minute ago, Gian-Luca said:

Why the fuck is TSN so doom and gloom?

I don’t think they are. I think our own players are more negative than the panel. It’s refreshing - look at us. How can anyone not be happy about this? What did you expect? 

We competed against the best nation in the world. We could have had a result and it wouldn’t have been unfair. 

3 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Not a terrible result and a pretty expected performance overall. The passing was abominable - particularly from Steph and Kone who looked terrible at times.

Obviously we’ve played three of the best teams in the world the past month but zero goals isn’t encouraging - we knew that was a problem against non-minnows and no signs of improvement. We had some good chances again but the players need to do better.

For those commenting on the 3 games without a goal.  I'd just like to remind you of what it was like...

image.png.efebc36c308af3f5df17f8035a021340.png

In those games, we knew from the outset that we would never create a chance, let alone score.  Now we are creating amazing chances against the best teams in the world.  Just been unlucky.  The floodgates will open.

4 minutes ago, RJB said:

Did anyone else think that every time he drop kicked the ball, Martinez(gk) was handling the ball outside the area?  I never saw a close up, but it sure looked like it from the wide angle. 

Maybe that explains how he kept somehow springing guys for breakaways

Not sure how many times I've seen that before, let alone like 3 times in a game

5 minutes ago, RJB said:

Did anyone else think that every time he drop kicked the ball, Martinez(gk) was handling the ball outside the area?  I never saw a close up, but it sure looked like it from the wide angle. 

100% noticed it. We needed an Abby Wambach. 

6 minutes ago, RJB said:

So that wasn't my imagination...unless we're imagining the same thing.

4 minutes ago, kacbru said:

For those commenting on the 3 games without a goal.  I'd just like to remind you of what it was like...

image.png.efebc36c308af3f5df17f8035a021340.png

In those games, we knew from the outset that we would never create a chance, let alone score.  Now we are creating amazing chances against the best teams in the world.  Just been unlucky.  The floodgates will open.

The golden years. 

1 minute ago, kacbru said:

Disagree.  I thought they did really well.  We created chances - far more than I was expecting.

They play good tonight ,   Larin was really good in holding the ball, Koné was really bad and should have been sent off

1 minute ago, Mattd97 said:

Bombito had some big mistakes but played pretty damn well considering his experience and the opposition 

No , by ourselves and he almost injured Messi , he was horrible check the match again,  they are professionals.  

I agree with them and Also about the Shaffelburg remarks from our pundits from TYC sports.  You can YouTube that later , and translate the Shaffelburg remarks