Match Thread: Copa America Group A - Matchday 1 - Argentina v Canada - June 20, 2024 - 8pm local time (ET) / 5pm PT

4 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Full time.   I saw enough from canada in this game  to give me confidence for the next two matches 

Yes.  But the next two matches might be a lot more physical, I suspect, because they'll be closer in talent, and I think physicality is in our oppnonet's toolbox.  So I hope we can pass through their press/tackles and don't get drawn into a vengeful approach.  This one was at least quite watchable, and encouraging at times.

Just now, phil03 said:

True, but it could easily have been a tie too. Its not as good against France but still acceptable considering the opponent.

Can't really compare the France game to this.  Way more intensity and intent in this one.  The most obvious evidence is Kone - when he has a split second more on the ball, he looks amazing.  Today, not so much.

That was fun. Unlucky not to get rewarded with at least a goal, but getting out of the Argentina opener with that result isn’t so bad.

Blinder of a performance by Crépeau who was my MOTM. Was also impressed by shift Larin put in and would’ve let him finish the game.

Probably one of Kones worst games in an NT shirt, but he is young so the unevenness is expected. I’m excited for the rest of our matches. 

3 minutes ago, eramosat said:

Yes.  But the next two matches might be a lot more physical, I suspect, because they'll be closer in talent, and I think physicality is in our oppnonet's toolbox.  So I hope we can pass through their press/tackles and don't get drawn into a vengeful approach.  This one was at least quite watchable, and encouraging at times.

Yeah. Chile can be cynical team.  Might be useful to get Layrea in there to force them into a red card

Not a terrible result and a pretty expected performance overall. The passing was abominable - particularly from Steph and Kone who looked terrible at times.

Obviously we’ve played three of the best teams in the world the past month but zero goals isn’t encouraging - we knew that was a problem against non-minnows and no signs of improvement. We had some good chances again but the players need to do better.

Just now, TGAA_Star said:

Could have been worse but now we are on negative goal difference because of this loss so the games against Peru 🇵🇪 and Chile 🇨🇱 are must wins

I think its fair to expect both Chile and Peru to be in negative goal differentials v Argentina too, so I dont think this is necessarily true.

3 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Could have been worse but now we are on negative goal difference because of this loss so the games against Peru 🇵🇪 and Chile 🇨🇱 are must wins

Not necessarely the second one, as they will get their turn facing the Argentine storm... Peru is the weakest team of the group so that was always a must win for us. I could see us getting through on a tie with Chile though.