Match Thread: Copa America Group A - Matchday 1 - Argentina v Canada - June 20, 2024 - 8pm local time (ET) / 5pm PT

2 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

Argentina players are like Uruguayans and Italians ,  they are dirty streetwise strong and astute to kick someone 

Bombitó is not that astute.  And a bit of bad person as I say football expose you the way you are in life.  

Romero is a bully 

And Dibu Martinez is a smartass 

Bombito is just starting his career, none of your descriptions fit at all. He is playing his first year pro as a starter and is doing very well. But even seasoned veterans made fouls like that on Messi, and worse, like Ramos, Arbeloa, and regularly. And they were top level internationals. 

Look at the foul on Davies 2nd half, far more cynical, very dangerous, just as "career ending" and perhaps more so because Davies has a career left. And deliberately relying on the fact that the ref was not showing cards to Argentina, who fouled almost double Canada did.

7 minutes ago, Soro17 said:

and yet, his career did not end. 

Thank God for it.  That tackle was completely unnecessary that's why I guess he is a bit of a bad person or someone who can't be trusted .  You can cover up your mistake by destroying the other fellow

And in football sense,  he wasnt intelligent enough .  Why rush ?  Run alongside him . 

He was saved his mistake by motm Creapeau 

Edited by JAVIERF

2 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

1) in Euro you have European refs in Copa America you have refs from ...America from Pole to Pole.  

2) There isn't a hint of racism about BOMBITÓ as they pronounced it down here ,  but he is as NASTY as you can get and a BAD person too!! Why ? ( Simple , he made a clown of himself because he couldn't control a rebound or a pass ,  he went to the floor to injure LIONEL in the ligaments of his ankle but then his knee cap moved awkwardly, that's what a bad person do,  if he was a smart player he would t rush in and try to injure a fellow footballer to cover up his controlling mistake,  In the middle of the park ) 

Bombito I don't know what Canadians see about this fellow he isn't Paul McGrath nor Baresi!!! I would rather see him as right back but as LIBERO he Is a liability and he will get a red sooner than later

Cant tell if this is crazier than the "saying the gold cup gets some B squads is false because then youre not supporting the community" or not. 2 all-timers though

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Bombito is just starting his career, none of your descriptions fit at all. He is playing his first year pro as a starter and is doing very well. But even seasoned veterans made fouls like that on Messi, and worse, like Ramos, Arbeloa, and regularly. And they were top level internationals. 

Look at the foul on Davies 2nd half, far more cynical, very dangerous, just as "career ending" and perhaps more so because Davies has a career left. And deliberately relying on the fact that the ref was not showing cards to Argentina, who fouled almost double Canada did.

Agree that Argentina committed more "tactical" fouls.  

Nothing against the kid but for me he is a fullback right or left not ever a center back not even the sweeper 

3 minutes ago, Mattd97 said:

Cant tell if this is crazier than the "saying the gold cup gets some B squads is false because then youre not supporting the community" or not. 2 all-timers though

For me someone who does that do evident to COVER Up His mistake is a bit of bad person. 

Lo Celso too !   But again his kick on Davies was for vendetta ,  Lo Celso Is not astute for kicking opponents he always get cards 

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

That's the Guardian a lot of the time. 

Guardian is usually decent though. What is he on about Steve Bannon? keystone? I don’t even think we sell those in Canada. Writer sounds like a guy who thinks he is smarter than he is and also may think that Canada and the United States are the same country. 

Just now, archer21 said:

But why would we want a bad person to be our fullback?

I have no problems with tackling is part of the game is s contact sport 

The thing is he had lost the ball ,  possession , miscues it miscontrolled the ball that was his ,  why going to harm someone ?  

Don't know if he is a bad person, but I do know he is not very intelligent.  

You lose your ball It bounces to Messi ,  you are fast go next to him ,  harass him off the ball ,  don't go to a tackle that was two towns late! 

3 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

Agree that Argentina committed more "tactical" fouls.  

Nothing against the kid but for me he is a fullback right or left not ever a center back not even the sweeper 

He does not really know what he is yet, but he could end up as a decent CB. The guy has literally never played high competitive football until this year. 

You also have to take into account the moment in the game. We were stretched, we were not getting to coverage as well, Argentina was pressing more insistently, and he was exhausted. Just look at how on the 2nd goal he could not take those quick 2 steps forward to get Lautaro offside, he was stuck. 

As I say, Messi was abused almost every Clásico, Ramos got away with murder, vs Espanyol twice a year, vs. certain European rivals. In Conmebol regularly. Watch how Peru and Chile come out against you.

2 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I would disagree, politics in football is a  pretty regular thing for them.

It's their audience, as small as it is, so I don't blame them.

By decent I meant “they usually write well”. Not the politics I’m concerned about, more that they’re using American analogies to refer to Canadian soccer. 

All I want to say for now is I hope we (Marsch) makes a lineup change next match ( and more than one). If the endgame is 2026 like he likes to say we need to see different starting players.

The more interesting part of the Guardian article was the quote from Marsch saying that Argentina were five minutes late to start the 2nd half because they were scrambling for more time to analyze the video to figure out how they hell they could play against us. Which fits into (a) the goal that Marsch has to make things uncomfortable as possible for the opposition and (b) Messi admitting after the game that it was a tricky match because they aren't used to teams playing against them the way Canada did.

22 minutes ago, Alex said:

Last night a thought came to me, it was one I also had a few years ago…. Tell me if I’m crazy, but part of me back then was worried about this team getting big, going more mainstream

I have had the same concern many times.   There was a time when this team was so obscure,  that you be considered very much on fringes if you were a follower.  There was valid reason at the time to long and wish for that to change and to go more mainstream because there was a direct correlation between following and the expectations that come with it and the actual performance or results on the pitch.   

But in the back of my head, there was always this: "Be carefull what you wish for".  I think we are almost at that point.  and we will know better when they start releasing the tickets for the 2026 WC game.   I have a fear that at that point, we may long for the day when you were sitting in small group in a stadium full of Foreign supporters.

PS.:  try getting tickets to a raptors game.   do we really want to become like that?

Edited by Free kick

10 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

I have no problems with tackling is part of the game is s contact sport 

The thing is he had lost the ball ,  possession , miscues it miscontrolled the ball that was his ,  why going to harm someone ?  

Don't know if he is a bad person, but I do know he is not very intelligent.  

You lose your ball It bounces to Messi ,  you are fast go next to him ,  harass him off the ball ,  don't go to a tackle that was two towns late! 

I’m convinced you haven’t watched the play back. He didn’t go in to harm anyone. He misplayed the pass, which bounced between him and Messi. He then beat Messi to the ball by sliding in and trying to pass it over to Cornelius. Messi intercepted again, and the follow through from Bombito after sliding in to pass to Cornelius injures Messi.

There was no late tackle or intent to injure. Bombito was careless in his follow through, sure. But he won the ball, it’s not like Messi beat Bombito to it and then Bombito just decided to destroy him for no reason.

3 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

By decent I meant “they usually write well”. Not the politics I’m concerned about, more that they’re using American analogies to refer to Canadian soccer. 

The writer is English but American based

Not a lot of seperation of "church" and state.

Some more of his: 

Mark Cuban backs Biden. Why was he so keen to sell the Mavs to Trump megadonors?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/article/2024/may/24/mark-cuban-backs-biden-why-was-he-so-keen-to-sell-the-mavs-to-trump-megadonors

Why the pandemic could lead to a rise in hazings as college teams return to action

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/may/18/sports-team-hazings-fatalities-high-school-college

Again that's the audience.

2 minutes ago, archer21 said:

I’m convinced you haven’t watched the play back. He didn’t go in to harm anyone. He misplayed the pass, which bounced between him and Messi. He then beat Messi to the ball by sliding in and trying to pass it over to Cornelius. Messi intercepted again, and the follow through from Bombito after sliding in to pass to Cornelius injures Messi.

There was no late tackle or intent to injure. Bombito was careless in his follow through, sure. But he won the ball, it’s not like Messi beat Bombito to it and then Bombito just decided to destroy him for no reason.

shout it from the roofs. this is nuts. he didnt even knock over messi.  he barely interrupted his run.  he slid aggresivly to knock away a ball - did - but it bounced off messi and he collected it and kept running. 

3 minutes ago, RS said:

How can you possibly know that?

He knows that because he's intelligent.  How someone can go from writing broken English to near perfect grammar in such a short time proves that.  It's almost if it's a genius at work.

Pardon me for not keeping up with the thread but has it been mentioned that marsch was calling for Argentina to be fined because of their long delay coming back after the half (possibly reviewing video)  Apparently they had to walk halfway around the stadium as well, not sure if that was where Canada was situated also.

5 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

However, seeing the racism from Argentinian fans towards Bombito, I'm not surprised at all. Shows the class they have.

I'm not sure it's racially driven - it's more like Argentine fans are, shall we say, "highly protective" of Leo?  Any time he gets a rash challenge, a torrent of abuse and threats will most certainly follow.  (Ask Lukas MacNaughton)

HEHE streetwise??  I guess that means trying to deflect and focus on a "bad person" who made a challenge on the sainted one.  What about all the talk of canada must play a B team and park the bus to have any chance?  Hmmmmmm, seems like the #1 team in the world had to take an extra 10min studying film to try and come up with tactics to beat Canada.  Didnt me the media did this with McNaughton as well.  I didnt realize that Messi whined that much.  Fouling the guy who is making all the plays and dancing through your defenders to score goals just seems like such a streetwise thing to do.  And Bombitos challenges werent even cynical, he was trying to win the ball. Sour whiny grapes, as some one else mentioned, wait until Chile and peru come at you.