Match Thread: Copa America Group A - Matchday 1 - Argentina v Canada - June 20, 2024 - 8pm local time (ET) / 5pm PT

1 hour ago, TGAA_Star said:

Today is game day officially...we are the opening act guys...so it's time!!! Gotta show the world what Canadian football is all about but also make a statement in this game that even though we are underdogs, we are going to fight to the very end!!!

A great day for football! Canada vs Argentina and the Euro games earlier. Could be record beer sales today lol

13 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Okay. I'll take it.

1. Maradona

2. Messi

3. Pele

4. Cruyff

5. Beckenbauer

6. Ronaldo (Brazil)

7. Zidane

8. Ronaldo (Portugal)

9. Maldini

10. Puskas

I've seen half of them play, maybe 6 and I don't remember.

If we were to respect the memory of the sport, I think Eusebio would be top 10, and perhaps Kubala as well. Apart from that, I like that you put Maldini in there as he's certainly one of the greatest players to never win a Ballon d'Or

Then the Brazilians would put players like Garrincha up there. 

50 minutes ago, PastPros said:

Does anyone know if it will it be an 8pm sharp start? Or North American 8pm... more like 8:10?

(Need to know how fast I have to drive home)

I'm not familiar with how Conmbebol works. I would assume the games start at 8pm sharp?

if you are in the GTA the game should be on TSN radio too.

57 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I've seen half of them play, maybe 6 and I don't remember.

If we were to respect the memory of the sport, I think Eusebio would be top 10, and perhaps Kubala as well. Apart from that, I like that you put Maldini in there as he's certainly one of the greatest players to never win a Ballon d'Or

Then the Brazilians would put players like Garrincha up there. 

Di Stefano 

And one Liam Brady for me

George Weah was unmatched too in his prime he was twice Van Basten Voller Cantona anyone.

There was a kiwi player too at Werder Bremen Wynton Ruffer maybe just world class he was 

Edited by JAVIERF

35 minutes ago, narduch said:

I think there is a chance this could be the most watched soccer game in Canadian TV history?

TSN is hyping it big time and the game is in prime time. 

There is no hockey on TV tonight.

And Messi's popularity is at the highest level ever.

Read my mind.

If only they weren't competing with a big day at the EUROs.  But then, COPA has the time zone advantage.  Don't underestimate that.

3 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Read my mind.

If only they weren't competing with a big day at the EUROs.  But then, COPA has the time zone advantage.  Don't underestimate that.

I think this will actually help viewership. Feel like a lot of North American fans love the Euros because you can turn your TV on at 9 AM and basically watch games all day long. The last game of the day today is Spain-Italy which will probably be the most watched one, and even if there will likely be around 3 hours between when their game ends and ours begins, between the post game analysis and our pre game show, I think a lot of people will have turned to TSN at 9 AM this morning and won’t touch the remote until our game ends tonight.

Today’s gotta be one of the most stacked days of international soccer if not ever, it’s way up there. Spain, Italy, England, and Argentina all playing on the same day, all one after the other. Plus, Denmark, Serbia, Canada, Slovenia are by no means bad teams either. 4 excellent games today. 

58 minutes ago, narduch said:

I think there is a chance this could be the most watched soccer game in Canadian TV history?

TSN is hyping it big time and the game is in prime time. 

There is no hockey on TV tonight.

And Messi's popularity is at the highest level ever.

As it should be hyped

13 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think this will actually help viewership. Feel like a lot of North American fans love the Euros because you can turn your TV on at 9 AM and basically watch games all day long. The last game of the day today is Spain-Italy which will probably be the most watched one, and even if there will likely be around 3 hours between when their game ends and ours begins, between the post game analysis and our pre game show, I think a lot of people will have turned to TSN at 9 AM this morning and won’t touch the remote until our game ends tonight.

Today’s gotta be one of the most stacked days of international soccer if not ever, it’s way up there. Spain, Italy, England, and Argentina all playing on the same day, all one after the other. Plus, Denmark, Serbia, Canada, Slovenia are by no means bad teams either. 4 excellent games today. 

I agree and it will get more people watching Copa

Enjoy today, everyone. A day unlike any in Canadian footy history.

The approach I am taking tonight and I hope others are as well, is going to be just live in the moment and appreciate where we are. Playing Messi's World-Champion Argentina in a Copa America first where the expectations, once again, seem to be higher than the realistic outcome we have been accustomed to for so long...what a world.... regardless of the result, this is a great day for our program and soccer in this country. 

What I'm hoping for: A strong performance, plenty of grit and defensive cohesion, and some good spells in positive possession. Not expecting a result, but I want to see us keep things close. I want us to take the next step forward, to get some amazing experience that we can grow from, and to maybe close the gap between our current program and those of the elite nations.

Early days, I admit, but the more I see (and hear) from Marsch, the more I feel that he's a significant upgrade on Herdman. 

21 minutes ago, rhadan said:

To bad there wasn't a corner of all red for canada like denmark.

Any meetups outside the stadium ?

Since you guys are all in the ATL, then why not do meetups at your guys' hotel or where is the Canada team hotel? Go there or swarm the team bus just outside Mercedes Benz