Best CMNT Results

54 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Yes, the halcyon days of a commentator not trying to get himself or his catchphrase over.

Yeah, that was my thought too watching the clip, it was nice the way Vic and Graham just stayed silent for a couple of seconds to let the noise of the crowd tell the story.

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Yes, the halcyon days of a commentator not trying to get himself or his catchphrase over.

I immediately pictured Wheeler pulling a "BERDU-SCORES!"

I actually don't really mind Wheeler thaaaat much.  Well spoken, supports the home team and he's obviously very engaged.  He's no Mad-Bull or Maestro, but could be worse.

On 6/10/2024 at 4:29 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:
On 6/10/2024 at 7:05 AM, The Real Marc said:

Counting scoreless tied friendlies as among the greatest results ever is so very small time.

This was a fun result, but it didn't mean anything so shouldn't count. We can sure enjoy it but if it defines us ... yikes.

Win vs Colombia Gold Cup is probably tops - I know it wasn't a sexy win, and attendance was low - but that is a game we would have lost in so many other circumstances but didn't and it won us a trophy.

The best results ever must always be official competitions where teams are playing for something.

I'm flying after last night but the Gold Cup final was our biggest win, and if we repeat rival and result a month from now I'd be fine with it.

I agree.  Friendlies are tough to judge when you look at the big picture,  for every good result versus a Spain or a France,  there are also games against  the likes of Finland whereby we look like we don't belong on the same pitch. 

The Canada team from the past four years is far superior to any team that we have had previous to this period.  Therefore, past results (prior to this period) against the likes of Brazil etc should be taken with a grain salt.  For example,  the 0-0 draw versus Brazil at the Confederations cup was sandwiched between a 3-0 loss to Jpn and a 2-0 loss to Cameroon.  In both of those we were significantly outplayed.  Overall, I actually found the 2001 confed cup to be a douse of cold water (as opposed to anything positive from a draw with Brazil) thrown at us following the optimism of the Gold cup win and even the disappointment of an early elimination from 2002 WCQ.  JPN was pretty much in control and in the CMR game,  CMR went up 2-0 in the first 20-30 minutes, then took the foot off the pedal but we still didnt score or even create a great deal of chances.   

I would regard the performance and result versus Belgium at the 2022 WC as more significant than any friendly against a France or a Brazil.  Same goes for that 1-1 draw at Azteca, that one too is more significant .  Also those wins versus Mex and T&T at the Gold cup in 2000 would rank higher for me.

Edited by Free kick

That 2002 qualifying campaign featured Canada drawing Mexico 0-0 at Varsity but we had already been eliminated by that point. Lost 2-0 to T&T in Edmonton and 4-0 away to T&T. That was after barely scraping by 1-0 over Cuba over two legs in the previous round.

For 2006Q we lost in the same round, this time losing to Guatemala and Costa Rica at Swangard and drawing Honduras at Edmonton.

2010Q was another drubbing and we don't talk about 2014Q.

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

I agree.  Friendlies are tough to judge when you look at the big picture,  for every good result versus a Spain or a France,  there are also games against  the likes of Finland whereby we look like we don't belong on the same pitch. 

I think in the end, friendlies are just a different beast. Probably need two separate lists, top friendly results (Brazil, France, crushing the two-time AFC champs, beating Japan 2-1, etc.)

And then 'real' matches, 85 vs Honduras, 86 vs France, Iceteca, 2-0 vs US in Hamilton, 1-1 at Azteca, 2000 Gold Cup vs Mexico and Colombia, 0-1 vs Belgium, etc.

Not sure where you would classify the Olympics, but the shootout loss to Brazil in 1984 was a memorable effort.

1 hour ago, Mihairokov said:

That 2002 qualifying campaign featured Canada drawing Mexico 0-0 at Varsity but we had already been eliminated by that point. Lost 2-0 to T&T in Edmonton and 4-0 away to T&T. That was after barely scraping by 1-0 over Cuba over two legs in the previous round.

For 2006Q we lost in the same round, this time losing to Guatemala and Costa Rica at Swangard and drawing Honduras at Edmonton.

2010Q was another drubbing and we don't talk about 2014Q.

You didn't mention 2018Q so I took a look, and what struck me (aside from the obvious) is that the seeding for the round where we went out were based on the FIFA ranking as at August 2014, at which point Canada was ranked 122 in the world (16th in CONCACAF). So whatever happens at Copa, things could be worse!

We did beat Honduras 1-0 to kick things off, a game I remember well, since I was in the crowd at BC place, and it was the first meeting of the two since the 2014Q we don't talk about, but it was downhill from there. The 0-0 draw that followed away to a terrible El Salvador side is probably on the list of 5 worst ever CANMNT performances where we didn't actually lose the game.

3 minutes ago, 74 Whitecap said:

You didn't mention 2018Q so I took a look, and what struck me (aside from the obvious) is that the seeding for the round where we went out were based on the FIFA ranking as at August 2014, at which point Canada was ranked 122 in the world (16th in CONCACAF). So whatever happens at Copa, things could be worse!

I was wondering how we managed to get such a poor ranking and going through results it seems obvious: We didn't win a single game in 2013 and only won one in 2014. We went fifteen matches and near two full years without winning a match. Included in that run was our loss to Martinique at the 2013 Gold Cup, draw and loss to Mauritania, and draws with both Bulgaria and Moldova.

What I had wiped from my memory was that the 8-1 game was the first of that fifteen game winless streak. Truly dark days.

1 hour ago, 74 Whitecap said:

We did beat Honduras 1-0 to kick things off, a game I remember well, since I was in the crowd at BC place, and it was the first meeting of the two since the 2014Q we don't talk about, but it was downhill from there. The 0-0 draw that followed away to a terrible El Salvador side is probably on the list of 5 worst ever CANMNT performances where we didn't actually lose the game.

I was at that game as well.   One thing that comes to mind:  there was no security check at the entrance to BC Place.  This may have been the last time that I had been to a sporting event whereby I didnt have to empty my pockets and go through a metal scanner to get in.  Recall on that day,  there were some terrorist attacks in Paris at Stade de France and a concert venue. 

Edited by Free kick

11 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Galt FC over Christian Brothers College 7-0 basically handed Canada the 1904 Olympic Gold medal. 

Yeah, it was sad that TSN (Telegraph Sports Network) didn't carry that game, totally disrespectful.

'Name the only country to win a gold medal in both men's and women's soccer' remains a great trivia question.

41 minutes ago, 74 Whitecap said:

Yeah, it was sad that TSN (Telegraph Sports Network) didn't carry that game, totally disrespectful.

'Name the only country to win a gold medal in both men's and women's soccer' remains a great trivia question.

I had never heard this piece of trivia before so I looked it up. The asterisk though is East Germany won the 1976 olympic men's tournament, and Germany won the 2016 olympic women's tournament. 

On 6/9/2024 at 11:51 PM, gigi riva said:

For me beating the USA in 2019 in Toronto will always be my favourite  just for the simple reason that it started as just another sporting event but within two hours it became the biggest sports story in Canada 

Another Thing I remember that night I was driving home from Aldershot Union Station  and as we got to Guelph I tuned into 93.3  CFRU  the UofG radio station and they always stream BBC World Service overnight  it was about 12.30 am and the Sports Round up was on as they call it  and I still tremember the spoertscaster saying  They are celebrating in Toronto tonight after Canada's Huge victory over the Americans  it was the second story on there report .

I am going back a bit with this one but the win in Honduras in August of 1985 has to be up there, it was a week after my first Canada cap a 1-1 home draw at Varsity against Costa Rica in a match many felt was a must win with the impending trip to Honduras! I had to work that day and had set it to record on my Beta Max machine hoping to not know the result, several voice messages on my answering machine with an actual tape in it from my late father gave it away! This match set the path for the historic return match in Newfoundland which sealed our first ever qualification!

https://canadasoccer.com/national/camps/?camp_id=70