Best CMNT Results

After our superb result away to France who are currently ranked second in the world, it got me thinking about our best results as a national team. 

Of course, the Gold Cup Final v Colombia is one, and beating Mexico in the same tournament is another. I think the win v Jamaica that sent us to Qatar is a huge one, but that one is more sentimental than achievement. 

During 2022 WCQ there were a few great ones, including beating USA in Hamilton and the draw at Azteca.  

I'm going to put this draw against France in the discussion to be top 5. Am I way off?  Are there any important/fantastic results that I'm missing?

12 minutes ago, GasPed said:

Iceteca has to rank up there, as does Canada v. Honduras, 1985, St. John's.  But yes, I would rate this game, even though just a friendly, right up there. 

Same. A friendly yes, but when you consider the lineup that was fielded and the fact that Euros are just around the corner, it wasn't JUST  a friendly for France.

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

The Iceteca, for so many reasons, will remain our most iconic victory, for me, for a long time.

Being there obviously makes a huge difference, the travel, and also for personal reasons but it cemented in reality the idea something different was happening with this group of players.

We had amazing results where we drew the top 2 away, and we had beat decent CONCACAF teams, and banished some travelling demons but beating one of those teams meant it was real.

Honourable mention to the Forrest penalty save to keep the lead comfortable against Colombia - Gold Cup 2000. Although watching it back a few years ago it was a lot easier than had remembered.

This isn't one of our top 5 (you've probably all got that covered already), but one I remember well was in the Gold Cup vs. French Guiana in 2017. It was the first game of the tournament, and at the prior 2015 gold cup we went out with a whimper, scoring not a single goal, and continuing perhaps the worst multi-year run of performance for CANMNT that I can recall, which is saying something.

Canada took a 2-0 lead to the half, in large part due to Arfield, who, regardless of what came after, really did give the program a shot in the arm when he came over, and put in some very hard working performances. At 60', a 16 year old Alfonso Davies blew past the opposition defense like it was standing still and megged the keeper to make it 3-0 with his 1st ever goal for Canada. And you thought, OK, it is 3-0, we are playing French Guiana with 30 min left, there is no way we could blow this.

But wouldn't you know it, 10 minutes later, French Guiana had scored 2 in a row to make it 3-2 and you were thinking, 'come on, seriously?'

But then at the 85' mark, Davies scored again to seal the match and that victory (along with another Davies goal vs Costa Rica) was the key to Canada making the 2nd round. Where we lost to eventual runners-up Jamaica, but, after a really dark time for CANMNT, that game with Davies scoring 2 was a point where I thought maybe, just maybe, things were finally starting to turn around. And, as it turns out, they were.

Think the Gold Cup final in 2000 against Colombia has to be the best ever given what was at stake.

Although it was a defeat and therefore doesn't qualify for consideration, 0-1 against France in 1986 suprised a lot of people in Europe given the strength of the French team of that era (Platini was every bit as daunting an opponent as Mbappe) and the issues the CMNT faced after the NASL folded. Hungary had beaten El Salvador 10-1 at the previous World Cup finals so there was an expectation that France would win by a lopsided scoreline.

Counting scoreless tied friendlies as among the greatest results ever is so very small time.

This was a fun result, but it didn't mean anything so shouldn't count. We can sure enjoy it but if it defines us ... yikes.

Win vs Colombia Gold Cup is probably tops - I know it wasn't a sexy win, and attendance was low - but that is a game we would have lost in so many other circumstances but didn't and it won us a trophy.

Edited by The Real Marc

All time wins vs UEFA competition:

Austria 

Belarus 

Cyprus 

Faroe Islands 

Luxembourg 

Northern Ireland (2) *2-0 victory at commonwealth in 1995. 

North Macedonia *1-0 victory at varsity in 1998.

Switzerland 

Wales *2-0 victory at varsity in 1986.

* all wins were in Europe apart from ones stated. 

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The best results ever must always be official competitions where teams are playing for something.

I'm flying after last night but the Gold Cup final was our biggest win, and if we repeat rival and result a month from now I'd be fine with it.

I agree, This was a pretty significant friendly result though, Drawing France in France during the first window with a new manager who has been brought in to maximize our success at a home World Cup two years from now. Massive!

The result actually means nothing today but it could very well soon.

Argentina is - Captain Obvious incoming - going to be very tough.

Three big defeats in a row, in a new system - could be a bit soul-crushing.  I think (and thought before France) we have the ability to win the final two group games.  We now have tangible evidence that whatever happens against Argentina, we can bounce back and do play our game against Chile and Peru.

Do something positive in the COPA and there can be a knockon effect for the World Cup.  

13 hours ago, gigi riva said:

For me beating the USA in 2019 in Toronto will always be my favourite  just for the simple reason that it started as just another sporting event but within two hours it became the biggest sports story in Canada 

For me this isn't the most important game, but without a doubt the most important moment for CANMNT.  We saw the potential, things were finally lining up.  Shook off the monkey.  I'll never forget this match, I watched the entire match standing up in the living room.  My wife thought I was nuts and/or possessed.  At the end, I just said, "I don't think you understand what just happened, this is soo much more than just a win."