Match Thread: June 9, 2024 - Valour v Atletico Ottawa

another fail on the broadcast side...anyone who has fubo should have access to all cpl games live...dont know why its so hard for them to understand this...this issue has been going on for multiple seasons now...they are just getting more people unhappy as can be seen in comments and quotes on x

Missed the first ten minutes because the Onesoccer website neglected to reflect the revised kickoff time.

From a soccer standpoint an evening kickoff would be much better at this time of year in terms of the tempo but I guess the youth soccer minivan crowd wouldn't want that. No easy answers on this in a Canadian context.

The new surface is playing well in dry conditions as well today but why is the gridiron suddenly so visible?

Twardek and all his stepovers are laughable. What player is getting fooled by that by now.

Was expecting a bigger crowd from scoping Ticketmaster but maybe there are a lot of no shows on distributed tickets to youth soccer groups or whatever. Doubt the France game makes much difference.

Just now, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Missed the first ten minutes because the Onesoccer website neglected to reflect the revised kickoff time.

From a soccer standpoint an evening kickoff would be much better at this time of year in terms of the tempo but I guess the youth soccer minivan crowd wouldn't want that. No easy answers on this in a Canadian context.

The new surface is playing well in dry conditions as well today but why is the gridiron suddenly so visible?

Twardek and all his stepovers are laughable. What player is getting fooled by that by now.

Was expecting a bigger crowd from scoping Ticketmaster but maybe there are a lot of no shows on distributed tickets to youth soccer groups or whatever. Doubt the France game makes much difference.

Is this a heat thing? It's like 12 degrees out.

1 minute ago, Wippersuna said:

Absolute garbage call to give Ottawa a pk to take the lead. Ridiculous. 

It was soft but there is an argument that Apparicio should have gotten one earlier so I'd say ATO getting one overall is fair.

I like Voerhoeven, he is always a good soldier for ATO ;)

4 hours ago, jonovision said:

Decent game ruined by a dodgy penalty call.

Verhoeven is in Jordan Haynes territory for me. He serves no useful purpose out there.

Would like to know why PDS signed him. We already had midfielders that add nothing offensively.

All in all a meh day.

Crowd was OK.  Not great but with the 12:30 kickoff I was expecting a disaster.  Giveaways from last match or some other promotion at work I no know, but job done Valour.  Keep it up 

Pitch seems to play well enough.  Does grab the ball when there's some English on it but plays true enough otherwise.  Not fast, not slow.  Could have done a better job scrubbing the gridiron lines though.  Note to self, Wade Miller.

Game of two halves.  One more influenced than the other by poor officiating, to my mind, but that's the way she goes sometimes.  Deal with it or don't.

Atletico 2-nil.  Guess we know who dealt with it.

11 minutes ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Would like to know why PDS signed him. We already had midfielders that add nothing offensively.

Not his best day (Best day?  Is that even a thing?).  

He is sorta versatile, but he was no the most disappointing Valour out there today.

Different match were Dante in the squad.  But he wasn't.  And here we are.

2 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Crowd was OK.  Not great but with the 12:30 kickoff I was expecting a disaster.  Giveaways from last match or some other promotion at work I no know, but job done Valour.  Keep it up 

That and you've got to imagine there was at least some people who might have come on some other day who instead stayed home to watch the game against France.

13 hours ago, Soccerpro2 said:

There is a place for one-dimensional midfielders, but he always just seems so... bad. Taking two or three touches and a turn to play a simple give and go. He really doesn't seem comfortable at all on his right foot, and you don't usually see such one-footed players in the middle of the park.