France vs Canada - Sunday June 9 - 9:15pm local 3:15 EST; 12:15 Pacific - Bordeaux

48 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

IIRC Shaffelburg was the only player who subbed in both games, so not really "the same guys". Plus 3 of the 5 subs against the Dutch were not current MLS players.

I suspect we got more MLS players as subs in game 2 because the first game was only a couple of days after the MLS guys got into camp. For Laryea specifically, more time for him to continue to get fit.

You forgot Miller

For me Laryea, Osorio and Piette are proven commodities or ar least we know what we have. As far as everyone else who were subs I wasn't impressed or at best didn't see enough to think anything of them

Laryea, Hoilett are solid but off the top of my head I'm not too confident in anyone else we'll have coming off the bench for Copa

Edited by SpursFlu

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Something else no one commented on, or maybe I missed it: we ended this match with 8 MLS players on the pitch. The only who weren't were Millar, David and Eustaquio. 

We replaced 6 European based players with 6 MLS players from 5 different teams. 

That sounds like a statement from Marsch, and in fact it is not a bad calling card for MLS. 

Part of the contract for funding the MLS Canadian National Team Mens Head Coach 🤔

I saw the biggest team need being a supplement to the 2 mids, akin to some of Osorio's play from the past.   I am NOT any kind of analyst, nor do I understand any rudiments of football talk.  I do not know what a 9 is, or a 10, nor any terms of any kind!  Just watching and looking and thinking.  Was happy to see a mini thread develop, as follows...

11 hours ago, costarg said:

Like most teams in 2024, we don't really need this profile in the middle anymore.  Our midfield was a lot different in WCQ.  Stache and Kone both have strong offensive instincts and play.  They're just stuck covering too much ground playing a two-man midfield vs the stronger teams.  David drops back to do it a lot as well.  We also have creative and offensive wingers as well as FB's.  Osorio is ok for depth, but we don't need that connecting piece in the starting 11.

9 hours ago, Lansdude said:

Ideally we need a stronger out-and-out striker, hold up artist and aerial threat playing off David than Larin. Then we'd have everything we need north-south creatively.

8 hours ago, costarg said:

Bair and Vilsaint would probably be the most naturally suited for that role, hopefully that develops.

6 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I'm not seeing that role as hugely important with Marsch.  He wants turnovers and quick, easy goals or if France is an indication a bit of control with the ball.  Long balls up to a target man not a regular thing. 

5 hours ago, GasPed said:

I kind of agree, but would note that against France we created some very good chances off of some fast moving counters/direct play - and it's that kind of speed/athleticism that is (or at least has been) and probably should be a primary source of xG for us.  I don't think a traditional 9 is what we need to facilitate that, but we do need someone who can be that intermediate outlet/relay for the counter - ideally someone who can get to and knockdown a chest high ball from our CB's and immediately one-touch it to a winger, or can turn and go with it.  Tbh, we just need another Jonny David.

4 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

David does it extremely well on the break if the ball is to feet.  I think that what we are built to do.  

If you are asking for high balls chested down, you are asking for a 9/target man/hold up player.  The issue is a lot of time those players are bit slower.  I think we  are going to (or should) to priortise speed in the forward areas.  The thing is Larin is not slow, just plays languid a lot of time. 

But I still would rather another midfielder or a midfielder set up in the 10 position.  

So.  Reading these comments, and seeing it come, I think?, full circle.  Cloning David would be #1 choice, for his intelligence in coming back all the time to help the midfield, and continuing to be a fully committed attack-the-net player.  As well as his ability to be the (I think?) 9/target man who can react to the situation, receive long balls, and turn it into a multi-player attack?  This is not a real choice though, by a long shot...no such player looms for Canada...

Simply, don't Kone and Eustaquio need a lot more help, than simply getting a better target up-field??  I understand how Canadian offensive play can easily funnel up either wing, with assistance from the back in some cases. But isn't the middle of the playing field more important to upgrade for the team?  Not counters...basic play?

Happy to read anything.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Off topic or late topic

but surely he's putting on that accent 😄.

As someone who taught English for years, that is Kyllian hiring a teacher with a specific accent, and then studying a lot. I don't find it over the top at all, it is trying to be hip American, but it might be young British. The French like the Spanish have to work hard on the "r", he still misses the "h". But he's not entirely translating, so he has a good level of fluency.

I trained accent for students who had to do lectures and presentations, in detail, phrasing, connecting words, and my students had a standard Canadian accent, with their Catalan defects. I think he's done a very good job.

I wish Larin had the same attitude with Spanish, he still can't say a phrase into a microphone after 18 months ("estoy contento por la victoria y el gol"). Bellingham, in contrast, was speaking after 3-4 months, exemplary for an Englishman. The other day Tajon on that OS interview did not dare to speak a phrase in Italian but Petrillo being histrionic and not letting him breathe meant that maybe, being a timid guy, he turned off. 

My foreign students in Engish university programmes here are very lazy, diddle around on Duolinguo and don't take it seriously at all. Go to a physical class (apart from it being fun), have a real human as a teacher. Kyllian must go 3-4 times a week and it shows.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

As someone who taught English for years, that is Kyllian hiring a teacher with a specific accent, and then studying a lot. I don't find it over the top at all, it is trying to be hip American, but it might be young British. The French like the Spanish have to work hard on the "r", he still misses the "h". But he's not entirely translating, so he has a good level of fluency.

It's very much not young British, if he is copying it well. 

He is fluent, that's not the issue. 

But again it was a joke. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

It's very much not young British, if he is copying it well. 

He is fluent, that's not the issue. 

But again it was a joke. 

There are actually clips of him speaking English from several years ago and apparently… this is just his accent.

He sounds like a Japanese guy trying to cosplay as a Texan. I just think he’s overcompensating for his natural accent by layering on the absolute most American sounding accent he can to mask it. On a smaller scale, you hear a lot of American singers who try to sound British pull off a strange accent and vice versa. “Why does the guy from green day sound like that” well, that’s what happens when a guy from the east bay does a Joe Strummer impression. 

Impressed by his English though. I figure guys at Mbappe’s level don’t even really need to learn foreign languages because every interviewer should be defaulting to his native language as they do with Messi, but he’s quite good. 

39 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

There are actually clips of him speaking English from several years ago and apparently… this is just his accent.

He sounds like a Japanese guy trying to cosplay as a Texan. I just think he’s overcompensating for his natural accent by layering on the absolute most American sounding accent he can to mask it. On a smaller scale, you hear a lot of American singers who try to sound British pull off a strange accent and vice versa. “Why does the guy from green day sound like that” well, that’s what happens when a guy from the east bay does a Joe Strummer impression. 

Impressed by his English though. I figure guys at Mbappe’s level don’t even really need to learn foreign languages because every interviewer should be defaulting to his native language as they do with Messi, but he’s quite good. 

Yeah, absolutely fair play to him for doing that work.

The almost nasally bit is what Brits do when they are making fun of an American accent or doing a bad one. 

(One of my favourite comedians Kevin Bridges doing his "Chad Hogan" bit for instance.)

Even like a lot Scandavians I met in the UK who have perfect English but sound American rather British.  Maybe because the America accent has a lot of those influences.  Or just the media they consume I guess. 

• 2 weeks later...