France vs Canada - Sunday June 9 - 9:15pm local 3:15 EST; 12:15 Pacific - Bordeaux

4 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Feel a bit bad for Ugbo. Other than LDF who was a long shot to get mins, Ike was the only other player not to get on the field. Wonder if he was carrying a knock or just didn't perform well during training sessions.

Agree, but I don't think Bair played either. 

1 hour ago, eramosat said:

The Canadian back line has established themselves a  possible competitive future!  Wow!!  If we took nothing else away from these friendlies, that would be more than enough to show!

So glad and relieved Marsch went ahead with the most logical and common sense formation and backline, and stuck with it for two matches back to back.  It'll help tremendously for Copa. 

Current form and skill trumps experience and familiarity.  No more caps based on the brotherhood crap and era.  We've been in the doldrums since qualifying for the WC.  Cheers to the new CANMNT.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

It's a shame we couldn't get a guy like Morris because he fits this system with his range/athleticism and positional awareness, but so be it.  I am somewhat surprised that Choiniere hasn't had more of a look on the field but also, so be it.

As for Ahmed, I have watched him a lot this year, especially most recently, and I feel like he has plateau-ed somewhat, more gameplanned against and less impactful as a result, so I can see why he might have been left off for these matches.

Right on about Morris, he would be a major piece and game changer.  I'm also a huge fan of Choiniere, but I feel Ahmed is being held back by Vanni.  Anyone else?

3 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Alright my thoughts:

I don’t mind March’s subs, you need to see these guys to decide wether or not they can fit your system now.

We can hang and create against the top teams, and we can do the pressing style Marsch wants.

Tani, JRR, Shaffleburg will be great as subs and for this system, could be a huge advantage for us to have them come on late in this system. 

Ali Ahmed would have been perfect for this game had he been fit. 

Bombito has much to learn but he’s got so much promise, and Cornelius has really really improved and grown.

Piette, Osorio are not fits in this system, however Osorio will have his uses against certain teams. I hate to say it’s but one of them needs to be left home for an AA who can play CM or LB. Shame we didn’t get Aidan Morris, because we need more CM depth.

Larin will be useful but I could see him missing out as time goes, just need someone to emerge.

Buchanan and Laryea are top class players. 

Kone and Staq is the way forward.

I do think we are going to need to integrate players like JMR, Theo and Saliba at a point after the Copa, they can offer more than some of the players called and used in these friendlies. 

I’d cut Piette, Brym, Hiebert from this sqaud. Add JRR, AA and maybe find a way for Waterman to make it ? 

Overall though, we have arrived, I’m not saying we can beat these type of opponents all the time, but we can give them a run and play with them.

Agree with all of it except Waterman.  He's been pretty bad this year. 

Piette and Osorio can still fit in there depending the situation.

21 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Our starting 11 is 0-0 vs Netherlands & France for 135 mins

Not an exact science but you get the point

triple post.

Edited by costarg

20 minutes ago, costarg said:

Right on about Morris, he would be a major piece and game changer.  I'm also a huge fan of Choiniere, but I feel Ahmed is being held back by Vanni.  Anyone else?

Yeah, I've wondered if Sartini might be impacting Ahmed negatively, but that is pure speculation. Let's see how he--Ahmed--evolves this season. I still think he needs to get way stronger.

29 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Mexico in Azteca last WCQ was special, as were the two wins vs. Mexico and US in the snow, but the game against Belgium probably takes top spot for me (for the moment) because of the context.  Not to take away from how we performed today, but a friendly does not bring the same degree of urgency as a match in the WC. Today's performance might be #2 all time for me.

Asking for a friend, is that the game Osorio thread a pass for the winner?

8 minutes ago, Mattd97 said:

Asking for a friend, is that the game Osorio thread a pass for the winner?

That piece of shit?! (Yeah, I guess.) 😉

Actually, Davies threaded the pass and Oso scored. No? Super composed.

Edited by The Beaver 2.0

3 hours ago, narduch said:

I'm predicting he doesn't make the final Copa squad.

We will call in a veteran or just go with what we have.

They will give LDF a small break before he joins the U20 qualifying 

I’m torn. The secrecy of his disappearance makes me think it’s a personal reason.  He could potentially be back on merit (in Marsch opinion) if that’s the case.  But he could also just not be ready and then I agree with you. 

2 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

This is a reasonable post. I do find bringing Oso is a legacy decision from the brotherhood days. Honestly, we probably need to move on from Piette as well, though he may have a small role for us as a DM.

Absolutely agree that we need to be open to trying other and younger midfielders from the bench. That said, no one is displacing Staq or Kone at this point. 

I’m just not sure who replaces oso or piette that is clearly better.  These guys have leadership and experience that’s useful and clearly defined roles. Unless someone is clearly better, there’s no benefit to dropping the leadership group for a youngster to sit on the bench. 

Possible Cm options: Ali, Paton, saliba, Fraser. None are better in the roles of a cam or cdm than piette or oso. Arguably all are lower calibre players. Ali is the only exception and he’s off form as a wingback these days.  

I’d love to move on from them but not if it weakens the squad. 

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

A Canadian did just buy Saint-Etienne

And they just got promoted so they are bound to go shopping... Yeah, I could see Crépeau benefiting, both because of the owner and because he'd be an at least servicable number I in Ligue 1 that could be both for fairly cheap, allowing the club to use the money elsewhere...

I gave a quick look to some key French media by curiosity and their overall take is that they are really unimpressed with their own guys' performance but they also seem to have a healthy degree of respect for our showing.

Missed the game so just finished the replay. Pretty much everything has been discussed at this point.

This is our likely starting 11 against Argentina. Not sure if I like how much film they will have to figure out a way to break us down. 

Kone was amazing. The Roma links were a suprise, but now maybe seem too low. I have never seen Mckennie play like that for the US. Perhaps a top 4 Italian team takes a closer look.

Shocked by our lack of depth at FB. Laryea is a capable sub on either side. After him there isn't many good options.

Lastly, although I don't think either should be at this level, cool to see a guy from Winnipeg and small town Nov Scotia come in and subs.

2 hours ago, costarg said:

Agree with all of it except Waterman.  He's been pretty bad this year. 

Piette and Osorio can still fit in there depending the situation.

Piette can as 6. When Eustaquio & Kone venture forward, Piette can sit back and play a destroyer role. Piette was great with Eustaquio vs Uruguay.

Osorio has no role in this team. The quality dropped once he stepped on the field today. He’s not up to this level. He needs to be phased out like Cavallini, Vitoria, Borjan etc. It’s going to cost this team the longer he stays involved.

Edited by anthony7