France vs Canada - Sunday June 9 - 9:15pm local 3:15 EST; 12:15 Pacific - Bordeaux

1 hour ago, anthony7 said:

Hey man, I just want this team to be successful and continue to grow. Players like Invisible Oso need to go as he is not up to this level and can’t be trusted to come off the bench. Give other midfielders opportunity!! Like look at what happens when someone like Kone gets an opportunity and is not held back by favouritism & politics.

This is a reasonable post. I do find bringing Oso is a legacy decision from the brotherhood days. Honestly, we probably need to move on from Piette as well, though he may have a small role for us as a DM.

Absolutely agree that we need to be open to trying other and younger midfielders from the bench. That said, no one is displacing Staq or Kone at this point. 

12 minutes ago, 74 Whitecap said:

Argentina is pressing Ecuador on every inch of the pitch. Have to expect they will do the same against us.

Actually we are slowing the tempo.  

It's footballers Vs robots 

2 hours ago, bwilly11 said:

Where were you the day France could not beat Canada. Remember the day

In the stadium! 

Still buzzing back at the hotel.

Funny how the experience in the stadium isn't as extreme or overstated as a lot of the comments I'm reading here. We played for each other, with major commitment defending and covering, with some high level maturity out there. And as said,  couple players who should be able to find a better contract situation.

But I think the no 1 takeaway is about Marsch: he had an idea vs the Dutch, kept it, treated it more seriously by not subbing too early, and then hit a major result. The players have to buy in even though some are going to end on the bench. And us fans, you have to be impressed Jesse did that so quickly and in such a rational way.

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

In the stadium! 

Still buzzing back at the hotel.

Funny how the experience in the stadium isn't as extreme or overstated as a lot of the comments I'm reading here. We played for each other, with major commitment defending and covering, with some high level maturity out there. And as said,  couple players who should be able to find a better contract situation.

But I think the no 1 takeaway is about Marsch: he had an idea vs the Dutch, kept it, treated it more seriously by not subbing too early, and then hit a major result. The players have to buy in even though some are going to end on the bench. And us fans, you have to be impressed Jesse did that so quickly and in such a rational way.

yeah, your note about high level maturity is a good one. We played a smarter and more composed game. This might be the smartest game i've seen a guy like Davies play for us in a long, long time. It was a mature performance. 

3 minutes ago, RJB said:

I hate to be hyperbolic, but where does this rate for you in terms of all time results?  It's got to be up there as one of our best ever. 

Up there in my memory... and as others have said, not just because of the result - but because of how we played. We didn't park the bus. We competed and didn't look out of place.

2 hours ago, beachesl said:

Funny how our small but vocal band of Voyageurs at the match were cordoned off in major security operation like we were violent Hooligans from NW Eng.😁

Security also came to harass us with especially one authoritarian lady and keep bugging us when we'd done what they asked. I was distracted and irked for the first ten minutes.

The France fans were the epitome of passive, I don't think there's a softer fanbase in Europe.

Once again had a friend over for the game so just getting caught up on the thread.  Always interesting to read the varied (sometimes schizophrenic) takes on the game as it unfolds.  

Agree with many re the brights spots.  

Kone was really strong. Really hoping he gets a move and can thrive in a bigger environment.  This exposure in France could theoretically turn into interest in a league that would likely be a great next step  

Max seems to have regained the starting spot (deservedly so IMO). 

I like Millar as a starter and you can see the potential for a strong left side partnership to evolve with Davies.  

Loved that Tani got his first Cap - I think this guy will be in the mix (along with JRR and Jebbo?) for meaningful minutes in the coming years.

Larin looks so ineffective so often it is hard to reconcile his low impact with the fact that he is our all time leading scorer, should be in his career peak, and is playing in a top 3 league.  Objectively he should be one of our most effective players and yet I am frequently wishing that a young attacker would get subbed in just to see if he could make something happen.  

Bombito and DC are the future.  Bombito will be an absolute stud in a couple years.  Great get for the program.   And DC has matured into a solid starting option for us.  Pretty key that they stay healthy. 

Great day, great result.  

2 hours ago, clamlinguine said:

I couldn't get my freestream going until the second half, we were the better team! Crepeau a star? I didn't see him make a save! lol. Well...one. But I expect he will be the starter because he is our best afaik but still he was a bit slow coming out a few times. Davies was our best player.

I'm going to guess that you know nothing of goalkeeping. Max's interventions in the last few minutes were exceptional. Breaking off his line to force arguably the best attacking player in the world today into eating a one-on-one for nothing, then making a literally last-second save off that same player to preserve the draw were the two best things that anybody in a red shirt did today. And there were A LOT of great things that our boys did today.

2 hours ago, anthony7 said:

Osorio needs to fuck off. He had no use off the bench as we saw today. Ahmed & Choinere can absolutely take his minutes coming off the bench. Like come on, are you stupid or dumb? Choinere has more upside and was a fucking MLS All Star, something passenger Oso has never accomplished in his over decade career in MLS. Ahmed was absolutely electric at the Gold Cup while Oso was mediocre. You need to stop holding onto to liabilities as it’s holding this team back from real growth.

Are you alright man?

19 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Security also came to harass us with especially one authoritarian lady and keep bugging us when we'd done what they asked. I was distracted and irked for the first ten minutes.

The France fans were the epitome of passive, I don't think there's a softer fanbase in Europe.

Might've been a bit subdued due to current events in the country...

Just now, sebdeserio said:

Might've been a bit subdued due to current events in the country...

Lots of families, couples, middle class. No one trash talked us at any time. They were pleasant and even sweet at times like when asking for directions. It was like a soft North American stadium. 

We chanted they booed but they still didn't generate much noise on their own, or else relatively little. 

2 hours ago, Mattd97 said:

Are you alright man?

Just pissed that this fraud almost cost us twice in this game. It’s really annoying that we got too many delusional individuals on here that believe this guy actually deserves a place on this squad. He cannot keep up with this level and is complete trash at this point. I’ll be very disappointed if he goes to Copa or has a spot in this team in the future.

Edited by anthony7

2 hours ago, beachesl said:

I had the feeling the Millar felt constrained against Holland, being unsure how he was supposed to interact with Davies. The coordination seem more seamless today with Davies at LB.

Agreed.  It's kinda normal, it takes time for these combinations to form and gel.  They haven't had much time together previously.  It'll only get better, just like Bombito and Cornelius.

Familiarity is a major factor, we stuck with Miller, Vitoria and Johnston even when it was obvious it was a pretty bad trio.  The only thing holding it together was familiarity, even with the lack of speed, height and skill.

46 minutes ago, RJB said:

I hate to be hyperbolic, but where does this rate for you in terms of all time results?  It's got to be up there as one of our best ever. 

Mexico in Azteca last WCQ was special, as were the two wins vs. Mexico and US in the snow, but the game against Belgium probably takes top spot for me (for the moment) because of the context.  Not to take away from how we performed today, but a friendly does not bring the same degree of urgency as a match in the WC. Today's performance might be #2 all time for me.

3 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Feel a bit bad for Ugbo. Other than LDF who was a long shot to get mins, Ike was the only other player not to get on the field. Wonder if he was carrying a knock or just didn't perform well during training sessions.

Bair didn't play either.