France vs Canada - Sunday June 9 - 9:15pm local 3:15 EST; 12:15 Pacific - Bordeaux

France vs Canada
Friendly Match
Sunday, June 9 2024
3:15pm Eastern / 12:15am Pacific
Matmut Atlantique, Bordeaux, France

Canada supporters will be in the North-East corner

Broadcast in Canada:
ONESOCCER (live - online)
TVA Sport (live - TV)

Broadcasts in other countries:
https://www.uefa.com/european-qualifiers/news/027f-1798737ad442-518f0beab9e3-1000--where-to-watch-friendly-matches-in-2024-tv-broadcast-partne/

Canada's roster:
https://canadasoccer.com/news/canmnt-roster-unveiled-ahead-of-key-european-friendlies/
Since it was first announced, Tani Oluwaseyi has been added:
https://twitter.com/CANMNT_Official/status/1797629359588773987

France roster: 

Mbappe is doubtful, Tchouameni and Rabiot are out.

Posssible France starters: Maignan - Koundé, Konaté, Upamecano, T.Hernandez - Kanté, Camavinga, Griezmann - Dembélé, Giroud or Mbappé, Thuram.

Weather:
19°C and clear

Referee: Fabio Verissimo (Portugal)

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

France vs Canada
Friendly Match
Sunday, June 9 2024
3:15pm Eastern / 12:15am Pacific
Matmut Atlantique, Bordeaux, France

Canada supporters will be in the North-East corner

Broadcast in Canada:
ONESOCCER (live - online)
TVA Sport (live - TV)

Broadcasts in other countries:
https://www.uefa.com/european-qualifiers/news/027f-1798737ad442-518f0beab9e3-1000--where-to-watch-friendly-matches-in-2024-tv-broadcast-partne/

Canada's roster:
https://canadasoccer.com/news/canmnt-roster-unveiled-ahead-of-key-european-friendlies/
Since it was first announced, Tani Oluwaseyi has been added:
https://twitter.com/CANMNT_Official/status/1797629359588773987

France roster: 

Mbappe is doubtful, Tchouameni and Rabiot are out.

Posssible France starters: Maignan - Koundé, Konaté, Upamecano, T.Hernandez - Kanté, Camavinga, Griezmann - Dembélé, Giroud or Mbappé, Thuram.

Weather:
19°C and clear

Referee: Fabio Verissimo (Portugal)

Even so France are still loaded but it is a match I'm still looking forward to

Posted (edited)

Canada's all-time record against the eight countries that have won the World Cup: P14, W0, D2, L12, GF7, GA32.

Here are all results with the score, year, competition and goal scorers for Canada. (The matches versus France and Spain took place prior to those countries becoming World Cup winners.)

Canada 0 Italy 2, 1984 friendly
Canada 1 Uruguay 3, 1986 friendly, Pakos
Canada 0 England 1, 1986 friendly
Canada 0 France 1, 1986 World Cup
Canada 0 Spain 2, 1994 friendly
Canada 0 Germany 2, 1994 friendly
Canada 1 Brazil 1, 1994 friendly, "Berdusco! Berdusco!!!"
Canada 1 Brazil 4, 1996 Gold Cup, Radzinski
Canada 0 Brazil 0, 2001 Confederations Cup
Canada 1 Germany 4, 2003 friendly, McKenna
Canada 1 Spain 2, 2005 friendly, Grande
Canada 2 Brazil 3, 2008 friendly, Friend, De Guzman
Canada 0 Argentina 5, 2010 friendly
Canada 0 Uruguay 2, 2022 friendly

A couple of notes:

• There's been only one blowout - the 2010 match against Argentina. Hopefully that's still the case after Sunday's match.
  • Canada's best results have been against Brazil, with two draws in four matches.
Edited by Treppy2

back three with three in central midfield to give davies and buchanan plenty of opportunities to go up with cover...ugbo as target with david behind him in his natural position to make plays and help in the midfield defensively...crepeau in goal to see which one is better between him and st clair and make the final decision for copa america concerning the #1...give bair a good 20-30 min as the team has to slowly transition from larin

image.png.2bfb25a734977eca5fa6de52ed4d7fa3.png

3 hours ago, Big_M said:

back three with three in central midfield to give davies and buchanan plenty of opportunities to go up with cover...ugbo as target with david behind him in his natural position to make plays and help in the midfield defensively...crepeau in goal to see which one is better between him and st clair and make the final decision for copa america concerning the #1...give bair a good 20-30 min as the team has to slowly transition from larin

I never wanna see a back with Johnston back there. He struggled defending versus the Dutch out wide. Would be a comete disaster in a back three vs France or Argentina

9 hours ago, Treppy2 said:

Canada's all-time record against the eight countries that have won the World Cup: P14, W0, D2, L12, GF7, GA32.

Here are all results with the score, year, competition and goal scorers for Canada. (The matches versus France and Spain took place prior to those countries becoming World Cup winners.)

Canada 0 Italy 2, 1984 friendly
Canada 1 Uruguay 3, 1986 friendly, Pakos
Canada 0 England 1, 1986 friendly
Canada 0 France 1, 1986 World Cup
Canada 0 Spain 2, 1994 friendly
Canada 0 Germany 2, 1994 friendly
Canada 1 Brazil 1, 1994 friendly, "Berdusco! Berdusco!!!"
Canada 1 Brazil 4, 1996 Gold Cup, Radzinski
Canada 0 Brazil 0, 2001 Confederations Cup
Canada 1 Germany 4, 2003 friendly, McKenna
Canada 1 Spain 2, 2005 friendly, Grande
Canada 2 Brazil 3, 2008 friendly, Friend, De Guzman
Canada 0 Argentina 5, 2010 friendly
Canada 0 Uruguay 2, 2022 friendly

A couple of notes:

• There's been only one blowout - the 2010 match against Argentina. Hopefully that's still the case after Sunday's match.
  • Canada's best results have been against Brazil, with two draws in four matches.

That’s really interesting, thanks. 

An excerpt of an article that mentions the 1984 Olympics:

Two years prior to Mexico, Canada got their first taste of big-stage international football after qualifying for the Olympics. The Canada squad’s inexperience proved something of a blessing.

This was the first Olympic football competition that allowed professionals to compete, provided they had no fewer than five senior caps at a tournament. Those rules allowed Canada to field a near full-strength team.

After drawing their opener with Iraq and going down 1-0 to a Yugoslavia side featuring future greats like Dragan Stojkovic and Srecko Katanec, the Canucks faced an all-or-nothing final group game against Cameroon, who had won the African Cup of Nations just a few months earlier.

Two goals from Dale Mitchell either side of a strike from youngster Igor Vrablic helped Canada claim a memorable 3-1 win which set up a quarter-final showdown with tournament favourites Brazil.

“Beating Cameroon at the Olympics was an important game for us, not least because it gave us a chance to play Brazil,” Wilson said.

Though the Selecao were far from being at full strength, there was still plenty of star quality in their line-up, including future World Cup winner Dunga.

Played just three days after their victory over the Indomitable Lions, Wilson recalled the game taking place in an unexpectedly frenzied atmosphere.

“We had to travel from Boston to San Francisco for the quarter-final game,” the then Canada captain recalls. “The game was played at Stanford University stadium. There were over 36,000 spectators there. For a Canada game in the USA. What are the odds?

Canada didn’t let the occasion get to them though and took a deserved lead through Mitchell on 58 minutes. In fact, Canada had the ball in the net a second time only to have it incorrectly ruled out for offside. Brazil eventually equalised before winning on penalties.

Despite the disappointment, the Maple Leafs earned rave reviews in the Brazilian press.

6 hours ago, blueseeka said:

I never wanna see a back with Johnston back there. He struggled defending versus the Dutch out wide. Would be a comete disaster in a back three vs France or Argentina

Johnston as a rb in a back 4 will get roasted by dembele, Coman, mbappe etc. 

johnston as a rcb in a three would have Buchanan helping deal with the pace and he would have to deal with giroud, griezman and cover Buchanan when he’s beat.  

no good scenarios and I want a back 4, but I think rcb would cover up Johnston’s weak 1v1 ability. 

35 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Johnston as a rb in a back 4 will get roasted by dembele, Coman, mbappe etc. 

johnston as a rcb in a three would have Buchanan helping deal with the pace and he would have to deal with giroud, griezman and cover Buchanan when he’s beat.  

no good scenarios and I want a back 4, but I think rcb would cover up Johnston’s weak 1v1 ability. 

With Mbappe likely out or resting, and Dembele usually right side, Johnston should be fine. We probably need Davies at LB to match Dembele who is fast and has a lightning dribble.

L'Équipe says this could be their lineup, for me the CBs are weaker than the Dutch, and up front Giroud and Griezmann are manageable, since only one pressures our CBs, Kone or Staq would have to watch Griezmann behind the striker; if they rest Kylian we get a breather:

Maignan - Koundé, Konaté, Upamecano, T.Hernandez - Dembélé, Camavinga, Kanté, Thuram - Mbappé ou Giroud, Griezmann.

L'Équipe says this could be our lineup....I don't think they really know, unless somehow they saw us training what looked like a starting team (though this actually could make sense if Richie is healthy, and I'd like it):

Crépeau - Laryea, Bombito, Cornelius, Davies - Buchanan, Koné, Eustaquio, Millar - David, Larin

https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/Avec-camavinga-et-dembele-d-entree-face-au-canada/1473407

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

L'Équipe says this could be our lineup....I don't think they really know, unless somehow they saw us training what looked like a starting team (though this actually could make sense if Richie is healthy, and I'd like it):

Crépeau - Laryea, Bombito, Cornelius, Davies - Buchanan, Koné, Eustaquio, Millar - David, Larin

https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/Avec-camavinga-et-dembele-d-entree-face-au-canada/1473407

Yeah Millar is definitely not starting after that awful performance 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Big_M said:

I don't love Johnston at the back. Is there either of Bombito or Cornelius that can play RCB and pull Miller on there somewhere? 

It is wild that for years on this board it has been said and proven over and over on the field that we need 3 midfielders and that Larin/David partnership doesn't work. But now we have had 3 coaches all try it. I really want to see something different today, and I hope it is something like this.

Another thing I would want to see if we go with 4 at the back is Davies at lb with Buchanan head of him like he has done for Inter. The two of them on the same side could be unreal.

Edited by Stryker911

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

With Mbappe likely out or resting, and Dembele usually right side, Johnston should be fine. We probably need Davies at LB to match Dembele who is fast and has a lightning dribble.

L'Équipe says this could be their lineup, for me the CBs are weaker than the Dutch, and up front Giroud and Griezmann are manageable, since only one pressures our CBs, Kone or Staq would have to watch Griezmann behind the striker; if they rest Kylian we get a breather:

Maignan - Koundé, Konaté, Upamecano, T.Hernandez - Dembélé, Camavinga, Kanté, Thuram - Mbappé ou Giroud, Griezmann.

I’m not sure that Johnston can handle Thuram, Theo, dembele, coman, muani etc

all are superior athletically and all are vastly more talented.  Sure mbappe is top but van de ven destroyed Johnston…. Any of the French players are better attackers than van de ven. 

france has been playing 3 atb in recent matches as well….

2 hours ago, Ally McCoist said:

I didn’t think he was uniquely poor or any worse than the rest of our team.  No one really covered themselves in glory in that one. I am pretty sure his half time sub was just a pre-planned thing to give Shaff a half.  

A friend was here so I skipped the usually thread monitoring so I may be offside common sentiment here but he didn’t seem any worse than anyone else to me.  And objectively their 4 goals were all scored after he left the field.  

Not saying he will get the start - but I don’t think his play warranted any particular reaction.  

I feel like we’re gonna get smoked. Like 6-0. I felt we could hang around with the Dutch and give them a game but ultimately lose. This I feel like we’ll be down 2-3 goals after 20 minutes  

3 hours ago, Ally McCoist said:

Honestly wonder what you saw to say that.

Bad- He fluffed a chance as did Larin and David.

Good - He was involved in the passing/overlap exchange for one of the chances.

- The, I believe, selectively triggered press worked with him doing his job on the fullback.

-  Frimpong was at least contained.

3 hours ago, Ally McCoist said:

Really?  I thought Millar certainly did not look out of place, and looked quite comfortable.  Quite a few others I would put in that category before Millar.  I hope he gets a longer runout today with a similar performance.

The level of absolute bias on this board sometimes is shocking don’t know what game you were watching  

With all the Brym bashing what exactly did Tajon do? He made one run in the first half that was offside and made the wrong decision on the cut back to David but other then that what exactly did he do?

As for Millar it was 0-0 at half time… Davies had cover.
it really shows sometime the football iq of fans not understanding shape and movement and cover. And how much more compact  and solid we looked first half.  Did you even notice how Liam played in the first half? He was LM without the ball and doubling up on Fringpong? Cutting off the out ball to Geertruida forcing him back inside. In a triggered press. Then when we got the ball he tucked into a 8 to give Davies space down the wing to run into.

This is a high level game specific tactics with trigger press with they did the whole first half. This worked really well to limit the action down Davies side…Did you notice that? 

That didn’t happen 2nd half …3 goals conceded in 17mins but yes Shaff made ONE  decent run with the ball and made the wrong decision (should have cut it back to Larin..watch it back)…His tactical shape and press was all wrong leaving Davies isolated without cover.Granted he probably only had one day(late to camp because of the MLS games) to learn a probably new pressing system he’s almost likely never done before in the MLS with either team  but over the next few weeks could learn it   but yeah let’s start him…🤡🤡 

Marsch confirmed after the game btw that the sub was 100% pre planned with improve because it means he’s trying to give players opportunities to prove they can be part of the squad not focused on the result which I agree with.