The Netherlands vs Canada - Thursday, June 6th - 2:45pm Eastern / 11:45am Pacific - Rotterdam

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Canuckia said:

k thankstroll 1986 GIF by absurdnoise

Thanks but I'm not making fun of you 

We have MILEI trying to destroy the Republic. 

How did we win the Cup ?  Passing 

Do the croats run fast ? are they fast  guys on the pitch  ?  No

Edited by JAVIERF

9 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

Agree. Zator for me alongside Cornelius.

There is one guy named MacNaughton Is not being given a chance another fellow who plays Bundesliga 2 with good statistics 

i think zator should be playing  alongside his teammates at his polish club side

Just now, reggietfc said:

i think zator should be playing  alongside his teammates at his polish club side

From what you have there is the best option alongside.  

You need someone to replace Vitoria.  The best suited is this fellow .  

I haven't watched that Hiebert 

Netherlands 1st goal came because #13. Didn't trust his partner,  who as some said 

Center back is not his preferred position.  He is a center midfield 

2 hours ago, Bigandy said:

We didn’t play 3-4-3. The 4-4-2 looked good with millar on.  I do prefer a 4231 tho. Larin out and choiniere as the 8. Push kone to the 10.  

I don't think you were watching the same game I was. Les Rouges were lucky it wasn't 3-0 at the end of the 1st. 

1 hour ago, mpg_29 said:

Johnston seems to get exposed a bit against stronger opponents. I think he did OK against Concacaf teams when were we attacking and not on our backfoot as much but he struggles when gets isolated on the wing defending against fast players...

Actually I wonder what a back 4 of Buchanan Bombito Cornelius Davies would be like.

3 of the 4 goals came from Davies' side. Replacing Johnston with Buchanan would not have changed the score. It was not one of Phonzie's better games.

1 hour ago, Mihairokov said:

It's tougher to sell a trip to Europe for friendlies against Moldova and Hungary than against Netherlands and France. Not saying anyone here is wrong but if we want to play non-WC calibre teams we can stay within our confederation. For a team that has never played in either Netherlands or France before I will gladly take the opportunity because odds are we won't get it again for a while. 

Yes, that was my comment. You don't ever say no to these games. You take them 100% of the time. It just might have been nice if they were spread out. No regrets though.

35 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

3 of the 4 goals came from Davies' side. Replacing Johnston with Buchanan would not have changed the score. It was not one of Phonzie's better games.

Because he isn't a great defender ,  he can play midfield,  I like him better as right winger, right mid,  he works at club level ,  this is nation football 

I don't think Phonsie was the issue causing all those goals from his side. That wasn't a problem when Millar was playing. I like Shaffelburg as a late game sub if we are down a goal, but he really showed his level today. He also is incredibly streaky and has had some big games for us, but hasn't produced alot for Nashville this year.

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I don't think Phonsie was the issue causing all those goals from his side. That wasn't a problem when Millar was playing. I like Shaffelburg as a late game sub if we are down a goal, but he really showed his level today. He also is incredibly streaky and has had some big games for us, but hasn't produced alot for Nashville this year.

He definitely had a significant role in some of them. Not closing down on Frimpong's lob to Memphis and playing catch up on a couple others including Frimpong's own.  If Shaffellburg is not going to help him as much as Millar, he has to adjust to that, the attacking wide men are his responsibility first.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

This wasn't a game we were expected to win, or try to win...and was more of a coach getting to know his players.

However, Marsch is already talking in code because he indicated that he doesn't see Davies as a LB...but sure enough he put him there. Davies doesn't want to play LB anymore unless he's at Real Madrid. I know this for a fact. And I believe he shouldn't be at LB for us either, however for today's personnel- with no Laryea (or Adekugbe) I understand seeing him there in this formation.

On that note, the formation we played today doesn't help our best players, and regardless of who the opponent was we saw it. 

Kone and Staq, can't play in the middle by themselves they need someone else in there with them or we will continue to lose. As a matter of fact, they don't play with 2 in the middle at their club teams. Our engine room is too exposed and expected to do far too much in this pressing game. 

Larin is showing how out of form he is, and we need a better outlet/hold up/stronger/faster player up there...I was hoping we would've seen Bair at some point. 

For the past few games Johnston now looks like he plays for Celtic in the SPFL...meaning his competition quality level is low, and the IQ part of the game has slipped him where it shows against better players.

Positives for me was that Cornelius and Bombito with additional reps can form a formidable partnership. Millar should be on the field but where.

France is going to either be a surprise or a demolition job.

6 hours ago, Corazon said:

Larin - Poor finish on the one opportunity but non existent other than that.  Shocked he stayed on for 70 minutes.

Didn't add anything in protecting the ball in hold up play or drawing fouls, while his opposite number Brobbey presented the relatively inexperienced Bombito a serious lesson in that department.  Pretty disappointing effort for a La Liga forward:  I expect much more, regardless of how much (or how little) he has played for his club side this past season.

Overall, it is great to be playing against an elite side as opposed to overhyping individual performances against mediocre opponents (wasn't Fraser Aird going to be the next big thing after his play on the road vs Scotland seven years ago?), so losing this one, even in this manner, is just part of the learning curve for this current version of the team under its new gaffer.

On to Bordeaux.  

57 minutes ago, Shway said:

Davies doesn't want to play LB anymore unless he's at Real Madrid. I know this for a fact.

He demonstrated this at times today with his unwillingness to defend. At one point he instructed Shaffelburg to cover for him while he tried to dribble up the heart of the pitch through the entire opposition

2 hours ago, Dmrich said:

Well at least we didn’t lose 4-0 at home to Uruguay.

By the way, Corbeanu's teammate Pellistri had a goal and an assist for Uruguay. He had 2 goals in 1200 minutes in La Liga. Theo had one in 200 minutes.

Marsch not taking Theo is part of a longstanding bias I've complained about many times here, to the point of irritating a lot of you. It's not just a football bias, it's cultural too. 

4 hours ago, Sal333 said:

I don't think you were watching the same game I was. Les Rouges were lucky it wasn't 3-0 at the end of the 1st. 

Fair… good is meant within perspective.  We had moments where we were on top of the match and were structurally more sound in the first half. Losing millar hurt our shape.  
im not advocating for the 442 by any means.  Larin for choiniere or even oso would’ve been my choice. 

Our first game with a new regime , i neve4r expect much in friendlies I am glad we are playing top nations  . that is how you can evaluate where you stand , you cannot learn from playing the likes of Honduras or T&t , nothing against then nations  In future friendlies I want C anada to play the likes of a Italy, Denmark , Croatia, etc . 

30 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

By the way, Corbeanu's teammate Pellistri had a goal and an assist for Uruguay. He had 2 goals in 1200 minutes in La Liga. Theo had one in 200 minutes.

Marsch not taking Theo is part of a longstanding bias I've complained about many times here, to the point of irritating a lot of you. It's not just a football bias, it's cultural too. 

WTF are you talking about, I am cheering for theo too but he barely did anything all season . please do not create contraversey when its not even there 

48 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Ha. Complete and utter tosh.

Corbeanu has been in a bunch of leagues, in number of countries, and not been picked, for Canada, and by his own managers.

He has a number of things to improve on in his overall game. We could argue about those compared to others.

But don't make it more than it is.

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Ha. Complete and utter tosh.

Corbeanu has been in a bunch of leagues, in number of countries, and not been picked, for Canada, and by his own managers.

He has a number of things to improve on in his overall game. We could argue about those compared to others.

But don't make it more than it is.

You rightly respond because you're one of those biased dinosaurs we have to send back to the fossil pit to make the next step forward as a footballing nation.

Pellistri his teammate at Granada scored twice in 1200 minutes while Theo scored once in 200. Then Pellistri scored and assisted for Uruguay the other night in a rout of Mexico. That we have absolute scrub on the squad but a Liga player isn't in the 27, that is Canada being stupid the way certain fans want us to be stupid.

5 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

I don't think Phonsie was the issue causing all those goals from his side. That wasn't a problem when Millar was playing....

Way it looked to me was that in the first half the Dutch viewed Alistair Johnston as the weak link out wide defensively but he just about held his own. Second half they went after Davies more and things unravalled a bit for the CMNT defensively because he wasn't able to get away with using his pace to the extent he normally would. If you went into this game with no preconceptions about who the CMNT's best player is supposed to be, I don't think too many people would be trying to deflect criticism from him for not focusing enough on doing the mundane bread and butter of a left back's role. Without knowing exactly what Jesse Marsch's instructions to Davies and Shaffelburg were I'd be wary about about placing too much blame on the latter for gaps opening up defensively given Marsch's known preference for an aggressive pressing style.

I see a lot of people saying that playing in Scotland means that Alistair Johnston isn't playing against high quality opposition. Five games against Rangers once a cup game is factored in and six Champions League group stage fixtures may not be as many games against high class opposition as he would be obtaining in certain other leagues but it's still about one game per month at a very high level before we get into what happens during FIFA windows. In general when the CMNT play against a world class opponent the defenders are going to have a torrid time, but overall I thought Johnston, Bombito and Cornelius looked like they would potentially be the answer in the context of another CONCACAF octagon qualifier if that was happening this WC cycle.

I also think Marsch taking Tani when JRR has been more consistent and solid over a longer period is a mistake. You can't give a call up for a fad player or stats bump and ignore someone who's been in the trenches and over a longer period has been proving himself. Including at a higher competitive level vs Mexican teams. 

Bombito is only different because Kennedy fell off and Kamal hasn't proven himself as a CB this year. 

In any case folks who think Brym is worthy (I just said call him in because the game's in Rotterdam, never thought he'd play) are arguing here so you'll all have to take the L and suck it up