The Netherlands vs Canada - Thursday, June 6th - 2:45pm Eastern / 11:45am Pacific - Rotterdam

6 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Against France, we need to have line up changes clearly and 3-4-3 just isn't going to work especially not against Mbappe and company

We didn’t play 3-4-3. The 4-4-2 looked good with millar on.  I do prefer a 4231 tho. Larin out and choiniere as the 8. Push kone to the 10.  

Seeing stuff in the media and tbh, somewhere along the line we thought we were heavy weights and that’s just not true.

we weren’t bad at the WC but we aren’t at that level…. It’s good to want to win but man Gakpo and Xavi are on the bench lol, like they would play every game for us and be amongst our best players or better. And that’s not the best in the Dutch bench… we have to be realistic 

1 hour ago, blueseeka said:

One soccer actually did a great job pointing out the errors on the goals.

Not really, because One Soccer just looks at the play, and usually the end of the play. 

A team that can have possession or press effectively up high and in the middle, has far less to do at the back. I don't want a shot stopper, for example, I want a team that does not concede shots.

Give a back line and a keeper 17 plays to deal with instead of 7 and you'll get scored on 3-4 times and not just 1-2. 

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

I don't really care about results either until the Peru/Chile game. (I mean, I care about the Argentina result but I'm being realistic on that one). So, experimenting with players and tactics now is just fine. Let's see what they can do.

Speaking of caring or not caring about results: this team actually needs one more match vs a mid-level opponent to really be ready to compete in Copa. We won't get it, but a Finland or a Guatemala would have been ideal. 

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think it will be Crepeau- assume the plan is to give both guys a game. For Hiebert, I believe Marsch said he likes him as an LB too- my guess is he plays LB, Davies on the wing and Millar (unjustifiably) starts from the bench. Tajon at RB against Mbappe is probably a good move, and I liked what I saw from Hoilett- maybe he starts at RW, though if Marsch is setting lineups to evaluate everyone, I don't know how much more Junior Hoilett he needs to see to get the idea- maybe Millar gets a shot at RW. I think Larin should be benched and a third midfielder- my choice is Choiniere- should start.

If he's healthy, I need Laryea up against Mbappe. Could make for some Canadian Heritage Moments.

Been musing about this and I think he'll give Osorio a start. 

Your idea about Tajon being on the side to cover Mbappe is well-thought, or at least him assisting Johnston. AJ is not a bad defender, it is his decisions with the ball that bring his overall level down.

29 minutes ago, Ruud said:

Just back from the Kuip through packed trains back to Amsterdam.  David led us well in voice. hope you could hear us especially in the first half 

We heard you early in the first half a few times and very well, thanks. 

Did the players go over and acknowledge you after the game, my feed cut off just as it ended?

Posted (edited)

How many players do we have in top 5 leagues?  4 ....and out of those 4, Tajon has played very few mins and Larin has not been in form this season. Many of our players,  starters Bombito, Derek, DSC, Millar and Kone other than his mins in the WC  and the subs, have never faced this level of quality. We pressed very well to start the game and defended as a pack to recover the ball, but little mistakes started to add up in the later stages of the first half. Lots of negativity here like we are supposed to hang with a team ranked #7 when it's the 1st game for our new coach and with a team who has played 4 games in the previous 12 months. Ok.

Edited by Kadenge

Posted (edited)

I'm not going to be real bothered by the result, but just a bit disappointed we didn't get a goal.

I'm going to pile on a bit here, but I don't think we should see Zator again.  And Brym has had many opportunities... lacks any intensity and doesn't show much.  I'm not the biggest Theo supporter, but agree with a few others who can't understand why Brym keeps getting called over Theo.

I know AJ is Mr. Celtic now, but I kinda wish that he moves on soon to a new challenge... playing on a stacked club against lower competition week after week just isn't improving his game. 

So glad we got to see Cornelius for a full game.  And there's hope with Bombito, but would love to see LDF get a chance with Cornelius a bit in the France game. 

Choiniere looked adequate, and I kinda think we need him in a 3-man mid.  And also not as disappointed with Shaff as most.

Edited by TOcanadafan

Great test for the lads- A good L and a lesson to show what it takes to be at this level. We hung in with them for the first 30 mins then quality took over. Nothing to be ashamed of- not unlike Canada v ( insert country- Latvia, Kazakhstan etc) in hockey where they can play a good first period then off it goes in a hockey sense.  These are the type of games needed with hopefully K Blue organizing more of these and we never miss an international window to play the max number of games available with high calibre teams such as this. 

13 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Been musing about this and I think he'll give Osorio a start. 

Your idea about Tajon being on the side to cover Mbappe is well-thought, or at least him assisting Johnston. AJ is not a bad defender, it is his decisions with the ball that bring his overall level down.

AJ is excellent and I think he played better than most give him credit for, however, my biggest concern with him is that you can tell there's a ceiling to his speed and physical form. Van De Ven burned him a few times today, but it was fine because he is still a good defender and was able to salvage the play, but you play him out wide against Mbappe, Dembele, Muani, Thuram, so on, and I think he'll get burned hard by guys who can and will make that second move to not only leave him in the dust, but put him on his ass. That said, those guys could probably do that to pretty much any guy on our roster. Except Cornelius, a contender for best CB in the world in my eyes.

I think we did a very good job today at collapsing on our net and clogging up the box. My idea would be that Tajon or whoever is out wide would annoy his man on the wing, have his opponent give up and make a cross which we'll have like 7 guys there to bat it away. Don't think we've done Johnston as a CB in a back 5, but not entirely opposed to the idea with faster fullbacks. He did make an excellent goal line save today. Laryea would not be a bad option for this either. He probably doesn't have the legs to play his first game in months against *France* but I think he can cause a good amount of chaos in limited minutes.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

AJ is excellent and I think he played better than most give him credit for, however, my biggest concern with him is that you can tell there's a ceiling to his speed and physical form. Van De Ven burned him a few times today, but it was fine because he is still a good defender and was able to salvage the play, but you play him out wide against Mbappe, Dembele, Muani, Thuram, so on, and I think he'll get burned hard by guys who can and will make that second move to not only leave him in the dust, but put him on his ass. That said, those guys could probably do that to pretty much any guy on our roster. Except Cornelius, a contender for best CB in the world in my eyes.

Dembele is actually faster and a better dribbler than Mbappe, only not as effective scoring. Does assist when he's on though. But we are talking about Davies and Millar (hopefully) on that side, which is why Tajon being committed to helping Johnston vs. Mbappe is a right approach. They are not as dangerous in the middle of the attack, and Griezmann is very off and on, so we might see him off on Sunday.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Johnston seems to get exposed a bit against stronger opponents. I think he did OK against Concacaf teams when were we attacking and not on our backfoot as much but he struggles when gets isolated on the wing defending against fast players...

Actually I wonder what a back 4 of Buchanan Bombito Cornelius Davies would be like.

1 hour ago, jhoops__ said:

I’m not a fan of this David and Larin together up top.   I’d sooner have David, Tajon, Phonzie and Kone attacking.   

I think it works against teams of less caliber but in games like this you have one or sometimes both dropping deep to help in the midfield and even defence at times and I would just rather play another midfielder to do that!

53 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Speaking of caring or not caring about results: this team actually needs one more match vs a mid-level opponent to really be ready to compete in Copa. We won't get it, but a Finland or a Guatemala would have been ideal. 

I noticed that a lot of the Euro teams are playing friendlies against easier opponents in the lead up to the tournament (Spain v Andorra, Slovakia v San Marino, France v Luxembourg, Switzerland v Estonia, etc)

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Yeah, that was my comment the other day: you never say no to friendlies against Netherlands and France but that doesn't mean the timing can't still be unfortunate.

1 minute ago, Watchmen said:

Yeah, that was my comment the other day: you never say no to friendlies against Netherlands and France but that doesn't mean the timing can't still be unfortunate.

It's tougher to sell a trip to Europe for friendlies against Moldova and Hungary than against Netherlands and France. Not saying anyone here is wrong but if we want to play non-WC calibre teams we can stay within our confederation. For a team that has never played in either Netherlands or France before I will gladly take the opportunity because odds are we won't get it again for a while. 

7 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

It's tougher to sell a trip to Europe for friendlies against Moldova and Hungary than against Netherlands and France. Not saying anyone here is wrong but if we want to play non-WC calibre teams we can stay within our confederation. For a team that has never played in either Netherlands or France before I will gladly take the opportunity because odds are we won't get it again for a while. 

I think we should take as many of these top level, high intensity games as we can get. That is the only way we get to the next level. I would love to have a good showing at Copa. At the end of the day, I would say everything leading to WC26 is a work in progress.

2 hours ago, Bigandy said:

The Irish games were much different. They parked the bus and countered. At no point in those matches did it feel like Ireland could out do the Dutch. 

the Dutch play methodical football. Sometimes too slow and lack penetration but it’s about maintaining control of the match and picking your moments to attack. 

Yes your team didn't offer shape 

Eustaquio and Koné cant play center midfield together they are similar.  

8 minutes ago, Canuckia said:

I think we should take as many of these top level, high intensity games as we can get. That is the only way we get to the next level. I would love to have a good showing at Copa. At the end of the day, I would say everything leading to WC26 is a work in progress.

It's gonna be hard if you lose a shape ,  best passers should be on the team 

Not the fastest !

11 minutes ago, reggietfc said:

davies should be up the field more ....we need more fullbacks on this roster not cbs playaing fb

Agree. Zator for me alongside Cornelius.

There is one guy named MacNaughton Is not being given a chance another fellow who plays Bundesliga 2 with good statistics 

40 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Choiniere’s treatment in this program is bizarre. He’s an MLS all star in one of our shallowest positions yet we see guys like Brym, Zator, Millar given shot after shot. I know it’s not like for like but it’s really strange. What’s he up to now? 50 minutes for Canada? 

Yes but that is different position 

Imagine if Hiddink was the coach he would play Buchanan as right back ,  

And Millar and Shaffenburg as midfielders