The Netherlands vs Canada - Thursday, June 6th - 2:45pm Eastern / 11:45am Pacific - Rotterdam

3 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

David was good.

I thought he was pretty poor. Typical CANMNT performance as of late. Tried to do everything, ended up without much. Felt like he was squeezing the trigger a bit too hard on Frimpong. Played like he had too much to prove.

Just now, InglewoodJack said:

I thought he was pretty poor. Typical CANMNT performance as of late. Tried to do everything, ended up without much. Felt like he was squeezing the trigger a bit too hard on Frimpong. Played like he had too much to prove.

He needs an offensive play-maker behind him. We don't have that. If you watch Lille, you know he doesn't create his own chances.

Just now, InglewoodJack said:

David? Or Davies?  If the latter, I'm with you.  But David had a solid game.

6 minutes ago, Vasi said:

Id put Johnston in the poor section. He was a few steps slow every time he was defending. 

Yeah,  " Major League" Johnston definitely in the poor category for me.

16 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I love the Zator story, but he is not a very good player. He has a certain level and it is below the CANMNT. 

Basically, I consider all Canadian players who are clearly above bog standard CPL levels as part of three tiers.

Tier I: Can meaningfully contribute to CMNT. Self-explanatory and usually MLS or similar level or above.

Tier II: Shouldn't touch to a national team jersey but they have the talent to play at high enough level to contribute to the Soccer world becoming more willing to take chances on Canadian players (and on CPL players more specifically if they played there). They are playing at MLS or similar or below and in some instances them counting as domestic players can be a boon for the three Canadian clubs.

Tier III: Not good enough to play somewhere that would qualify for tier II, or have some other factors blocking their path there. In those cases the best thing for Canadian Soccer is for them to stay in the CPL and build up the league.

Zator is a clear cut tier II in my eyes. Tier II players are important and they contribute to the growth of Canadian Soccer in a significant way but they should never be confused for tier I players.

2 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Wonder if a guy like Adekugbe could’ve helped us out. Sam at LB, Davies wing, Millar inverted on the right and TB at RB. 

Yes, absolutely.  The more Davies is going up the wing, the less clown show at the back we have to worry about.  The constant giveaways at the edge of the box had me perched on the edge of the balcony.

2 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Anyone who is surprised or overly upset with this result is being naive. This went exactly as i expected. After the Dutch adjusted to our play in the first 15 minutes, we were totally overwhelmed the rest of the match. Pointing out one or two players who were poor is missing the point imo

I agree with everything save the last sentence. Zator was key to two of the Dutch's goals and the vibes, for lack of a better term, would be way better after a 2-0 IMO.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, ECW said:

It’s certainly one match but it’s not a tabula rasa. Marsch is a very particular manager with a long history and he plays a style of football with an even more established style. I don’t think, overall, it’s the best approach for our players or for our region. 

Yeah and  Bielsa's style isn't good for Uruguay, right? I heard the same thing.

I watched both.

Sorry, to pull that out after one game against the Netherlands is just really really silly.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Conclusions:

If we were looking for a result and needed one, it would have been different from Marsch.

We would have kept the shape, not made any changes so early, and would have been fighting for a draw and keeping it close. We did not really play for the result in the 2nd half, and Marsch's changes sent a signal that he did not care. 

This game demonstrates we have a major drop off in experience, quality, and that you have to pick the subs extremely well. For me, the starters were all fine, it was a nice team just needing a bit of help in the middle. Maybe Bombito was in a harder situation than he is used to, but we don't really have a CB alternative with experience, and he did fine. Everyone else deserved to be there.

Of the subs, I think Brym proved he should not be wearing our shirt. I am sure the fans in Rotterdam were laughing at his inclusion, a bit player at the city's second team. I find him an embarrassment. Then we can't call in Corbeanu playing in La Liga. It's assinine. 

Shaffelburg is fine as a late sub, only looking at the opposing goal and not asking anything more. His positioning, pressing, coverage, tracking, even quite a few controls, were also 2nd rate. 

Choinière, Piette and Hoillet were all fine, not doing much but not looking out of place. Zator did, but it was a big ask again for him. Another player who we really should not be seeing unless in a real pinch. It would have been better to ask Tajon to go back to RB even.

Our best player, despite the score, was Cornelius. Then Millar in the minutes he had. DSC proved he can shot stop and I won't blame him much for spilling the third. He does not have vision at the back and his distribution is just okay. I suppose we'll see Crepeau vs. France if he's healthy.

Kone was fine, but carries it too much using his physicality, and does not really know how to pass and move in any system other than the direct ball you see in Championship; he's unpolished, but folks here like that beastly mode moving forward until he's lost and loses it.

Staq started slow, got more into it, and I think will be back in a groove by Copa. Tajon played a role, and was far more important for us defensively than many are recognising here. Davies had a bit of bad luck, if we are going to ask him to be back there, great, but you need a left mid engaged and committed to the project, Millar was, Shaff was not. Millar was quite good, everything he did was right. 

Larin was weak and, having to sub him out, it would have been far better to see Bair or Ugbo, because it was a moment we needed goals and putting in Brym was insulting. We had no one to cross in to. David is quite good as a withdrawn striker or AM, if we commit to that it may eventually work. Probably the best thing I would take from Biello, that last game where he played him that way.  

If Marsch makes changes for France, assuming there are no knocks, it will be Crepeau, and then maybe Hiebert for Bombito as he apparently likes Hiebert. In any case, it'll be one of those CBs and Johnston vs. Mbappe on that side in Bordeaux. Then he could sit Larin, he could add Hoillet, who is wily and experienced; or he could add Piette or someone to help hold at the back. Those are the only three changes I would make. 

3 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Wonder if a guy like Adekugbe could’ve helped us out. Sam at LB, Davies wing, Millar inverted on the right and TB at RB. 

Agree.  If we have a legit LB like Sam, we need to play him and get Davies on the wing.  Against these good teams, we'll be bunkering or defending a lot, and having Davies spend the majority of the game within 20m of our end line is a waste of our best attacking threat. 

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think David does some things that go a bit unnoticed. He is pressing and defending and getting fouls called that our other forwards are not doing at the same workrate. 

5 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

David? Or Davies?  If the latter, I'm with you.  But David had a solid game.

I thought David was really solid too. Slowed the ball up when needed and made good passes to open the play up. His touch let him down a few times for sure like everyone else. 

It was a good lesson today. New coach and system. Hopefully by the Argentina game, it’s coming along better so no matter what happens in that game, we’ve adjusted a lot for Peru 

2 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Sort of surprised at the number of people here who thought Cornelius put in a good performance. Post game show has singled him out for 2 of the critical errors in the 2nd half.

The DAZN guy seemed to think he was our best player.

2 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Sort of surprised at the number of people here who thought Cornelius put in a good performance. Post game show has singled him out for 2 of the critical errors in the 2nd half.

Unfortunately, Cornelius is a striker who was forced to turn into a defender for the sake of his career.

6 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If Marsch makes changes for France, assuming there are no knocks, it will be Crepeau, and then maybe Hiebert for Bombito as he apparently likes Hiebert. In any case, it'll be one of those CBs and Johnston vs. Mbappe on that side in Bordeaux.

Unless Marsch is hellbent on digging Hiebert's CMNT career grave, I don't think he puts him out there against Mbappe.  At least, I hope not.

5 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

One soccer actually did a great job pointing out the errors on the goals.

5 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I was one of those people and I don't disagree with what they highlighted but I think overall he was good, if you want to highlight defensive errors there are so many to choose from and I will say Cornelius had the fewest, AJ had a boatload of crucial errors in a lot less time!