Tate Asante

From what I can see, FC Bayern World Squad basically puts together a ton of U19 players from around the world to train at Bayern facilities and it's all wrapped up in a YouTube series tracking their progress with the final being a match against Bayern's actual U19s. I think some of the best players get the chance to train with Bayern and the goal is to get them on the radar to sign professional deals elsewhere. This year, I believe the camp takes place in the US, and they're playing in The Soccer Tournament, that 7 a side tournament from last year with a bunch of US teams, European teams, a few women's teams, so on.

Some players end up getting pro deals- one guy from last year's squad was signed by Nice B, one to Viktoria Plzen, but others end up across Asia, USL, so on.

It reads a lot like soccer's version of AAU basketball.

On 6/3/2024 at 9:01 AM, VinceA said:

It doesn't really mean much. Muslim Umar was on the Bayern World Squad and his ceiling end up being a few bench appearances for York United and now he's in college.

I enjoy the series. It really does show the gap between being a really good youth player and being a professional. The kids on the show made the cut out of thousands and most will likley never earn a steady cheque from playing the game.