Friendly Roster, Netherlands (6/6) and France (9/6)

I'm a little surprised (if I have interpreted him correctly) and despite his mild interjections to the contrary, it seems like that is the group he wants to go to war with.

I kind of thought there would be a European lineup and then a Copa lineup when they got to the US but I get the distinct impression these are our guys going forward unless they play themselves off the team.

I hope I'm wrong and we see Sirois, JRR and Tani etc when we get back to NA

He does mention that he favoured European players over MLS for this camp because he'd have a longer period to evaluate them - probably referring to the likes of Brym, Bair, McGill etc. - players who likely won't start for us vs. MLS players who also likely wouldn't start for us (JRR, Ahmed, etc.)

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I'm a little surprised (if I have interpreted him correctly) and despite his mild interjections to the contrary, it seems like that is the group he wants to go to war with.

I kind of thought there would be a European lineup and then a Copa lineup when they got to the US but I get the distinct impression these are our guys going forward unless they play themselves off the team.

I hope I'm wrong and we see Sirois, JRR and Tani etc when we get back to NA

He mentioned that part of the reason he went Europe heavy was that he would have a couple of extra days to get to know those players because their seasons are finished. He also said he expects that there will be changes to the Copa squad. My guess is that it is a work in progress.

Edited by Canuckia

45 minutes ago, YorkRegionFan said:

He mentioned in that interview that Kyle Hiebert was included because his club plays a similar style to what he wants to implement with the CMNT.   Does anyone have an idea of what formation that St. Louis plays?

image.thumb.png.d575034e7bbb662a6b904b94fd8a5265.png

https://www.transfermarkt.us/st-louis-city-sc/spielplan/verein/82686/saison_id/2023

51 minutes ago, Canuckia said:

He mentioned that part of the reason he went Europe heavy was that he would have a couple of extra days to get to know those players because their seasons are finished. He also said he expects that there will be changes to the Copa squad. My guess is that it is a work in progress.

I love that our squad is mostly Europe based with a few MLS players thrown in

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Assuming we go 4-3-3 (defending):

image.png.7f89e6475be81c5770e74c96683ffd5d.png

You have to go 4-3-3 especially facing the reigning defending Copa America champions and FIFA World Cup champions Argentina 🇦🇷 who are loaded from top to bottom at every single position then yes you have to go 4-3-3

2 hours ago, YorkRegionFan said:

He mentioned in that interview that Kyle Hiebert was included because his club plays a similar style to what he wants to implement with the CMNT.   Does anyone have an idea of what formation that St. Louis plays?

For further context, their manager was an assistant under Marsch for a season at NYRB and continued there for awhile. 

So Marsch is taking 25 players + Richie for team morale.  Marsch said he is not 100% which is not surprising. RE David he wants him more involved in the center of the team: we probably will see him as an attacking mid and involved in the build up/break out. He's our best player in executing the high press though, so not sure how that works.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Love the formation.  Makes sense strategically speaking. 

Just curious, do you still see Miller above Cornelius?

I also feel Hiebert is the glaring weakness and sore thumb here.  It's difficult to picture him in the starting 11 with someone like Millar on the bench.  I feel Marsch will likely tweak things to try and get him in there somehow.

As much as I love the 4-3-3, i think the squad he selected leans towards a 2-man midfield and 2 strikers.  Probably a back 3.

He sounded open to evaluating people and changing his mind based on returns to fitness but it feels like he picked some people so he could at least look at a 433.

At least out of possession.

In a 25/26 man squad 4 strikers is not overly large if your plan is to use 1. A team sheet yes but not for a squad.

21 minutes ago, costarg said:

As much as I love the 4-3-3, i think the squad he selected leans towards a 2-man midfield and 2 strikers.  Probably a back 3.

What formation are you imagining that has 2 in midfield, 2 strikers, and 3 at the back? 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Obinna said:

I sincerely hope Hiebert is along to understudy to Miller and Cornelius, and hopefully not play.

My read on the whole squad is that JM is rolling the dice that Bombito is ready to be THE guy. I’m dubious and there are 4-6 guys I’d prefer to see in for depth over LDF or Hiebert. Very concerned.

Edited by gkhs
Spelling (I knew that looked wrong.)

Just now, jonovision said:

After years of people here spelling Russell Teibert's last name as "Tiebert" lets not start doing the opposite with Hiebert!

I'm calling him Hustle Hiebert, and there's  not a damn thing anyone can do to convince me otherwise.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, costarg said:

Love the formation.  Makes sense strategically speaking. 

Just curious, do you still see Miller above Cornelius?

I also feel Hiebert is the glaring weakness and sore thumb here.  It's difficult to picture him in the starting 11 with someone like Millar on the bench.  I feel Marsch will likely tweak things to try and get him in there somehow.

I agree with you it makes a ton of sense. And just connecting the dots here from the bits we got from Marsch, it seems that'll be our look.

As for Miller versus Cornelius, I still view that as an open battle. I put Miller in here just because he's the incumbent, but it could easily be Cornelius. I am a bit partial to Cornelius as well, so that'd be my preference, but may the best player win.

On Heibert, I agree with you and I actually thought the same, that maybe it's Millar who starts, with Heibert getting a chance at some point in the formation I posted. With Millar we'd be looking at this potentially:

Defensive 4-4-2 with Millar

image.png.bcfd94adab858ba604758f8190856bdd.png

Remember, that is a 4-3-3 defensive shape (supposedly). How will it looks going forward? We don't know yet. Marsch did talk about getting the best out of Davies defensively, but then going forward having play go through him.....so maybe going forward...with Millar instead of Heibert.... something like this...

Offensive 3-5-2 with Millar

image.png.a6e4af5a4301c154114eac2f3734c906.png

..............................................................................................................................................

Again.....with Heibert....instead of Millar..this could be the defensive look...

image.png.5854ba228ccd9604e3846857ead4a3ba.png

Which would shift to this going forward...

image.png.4d0d3ce6a688de0f005ce3f579439262.png

Personally....I like the look with Millar instead of Heibert better. 

And to all worried about Heibert...Marsch seemed to frame it as Heibert being a starting point....since he would tactically understand what he's asking....BUT it would be up to Heibert whether he shows enough to earn the right to play. If not, I have no doubt Marsch will look to other options in future camps....if not this camp. 

Edited by Obinna

Posted (edited)

Boy was this roster underwhelming.  Not sure why we waited a week for this.

Brym makes sense since he is there already. Shocked not to see JRR and disappointed to not see Oluwaseyi.

Shaf instead of Corbeanu. Not really surprising since Corbeanu can't seem to get playing time anywhere. Shaf has definitely cooled off but has scored big goals for Canada

Zator and Hiebert. I had moved on from both of them.  Didn't expect them. Waterman and McGraw had been bad lately. This team desperate needs someone to step up.

Was surprised to hear Marsch talk up McGill. I expected a loan for him this year and nothing happened. Feels like a wasted year for him

Happy for Hoilett. He maybe the moat in-form forward we have. He was great in Scotland, after not doing much for Vancouver

Edited by blueseeka

4 hours ago, blueseeka said:

Boy was this roster underwhelming.  Not sure why we waited a week for this.

Brym makes sense since he is there already. Shocked not to see JRR and disappointed to not see Oluwaseyi.

Shaf instead of Corbeanu. Not really surprising since Corbeanu can't seem to get playing time anywhere. Shaf has definitely cooled off but has scored big goals for Canada

Zator and Hiebert. I had moved on from both of them.  Didn't expect them. Waterman and McGraw had been bad lately. This team desperate needs someone to step up.

I think the reaction has been subdued because we have such big games coming up, it does not matter to bicker about players 21-26. We are all mostly worried about not being embarrassed, first, and then showing well, vs. a few powerhouses.

I am pleased for Zator, because I've been following him, but his team was only saved from relegation on Sunday. Meaning it could have been a Zator in 2nd tier Poland getting a call over others.

Then, Zator is mostly a right back and occasionally a CB, so that is not the position we need the most. Hiebert: I don't mind the call but if he is playing then I'll be worried. And if Cornelius is not our starting and lead CB, then really concerned.

I see not calling in Russell-Rowe and Tani as a bit of an incentive to both of them to keep working hard to get on this team.