Friendly Roster, Netherlands (6/6) and France (9/6)

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I've mentioned before that the floor has been raised for this team. Ahmed is a victim of that. His play so far this season does not warrant a call up. He can (and should) be disappointed by it, but he needs to elevate his play. And yes, I do think some of Vanni's tactics are responsible for some of it. But Ahmed has also not looked at the same level as last year.

He is getting much closer (and more physical) scrutiny from opposing defenders and so his play has not been as impactful this season, especially during this recent rough patch for the team.

It is also worth noting that though the local team bloggers champion his contributions, big work rate Raposo isn't on rhe radar.

Edited by BearcatSA

Just now, toontownman said:

Really hope he gets minute. His season has deserved it.

Are you suggesting he comes into the match in the dying minutes of extra time? Because that's how I see it.

5 minutes ago, costarg said:

Based on the 365' we've seen from Brym, I'm totally ok with not seeing him come on the field. 

I am looking forward to seeing Bair though.

And it will be at the expense of Bair, of course. Sorry in advance, @costarg.

1 hour ago, Bigandy said:

I just looked at marsch's lineups for leipzig. 3-4-2-1 mostly. That's what I think we will see in the friendlys and copa except a 3-5-2 vs argentina (like he did vs psg). 

Crepeau
cornelius bombito AJ 
millar kone staq buchanan
davies David
Larin

Vs argentina we drop larin for oso/choiniere

Do you know what type of 9 was he working with?  Is Larin a good fit for that style?  I didn't think he'd fit Marsch's mold.

Davies and David up top would give teams a lot to think about, it'll definitely keep them honest, worked like a charm vs the US all those years ago. 

Another surprising omission considering Jesse seemed to focus on EU more than MLS... the absence of Loturi.  That midfield is very light.  He probably could've helped.  I guess it's clear he's gonna go with 2 in the middle.  Really hope Kone and Stache are in top form.

2 minutes ago, costarg said:

Another surprising omission considering Jesse seemed to focus on EU more than MLS... the absence of Loturi.  That midfield is very light.  He probably could've helped.  I guess it's clear he's gonna go with 2 in the middle.  Really hope Kone and Stache are in top form.

The most in form CM that is playing well but is way below anyone's radar is Patrick Metcalfe.

But I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't even on our prelim roster

17 minutes ago, narduch said:

The most in form CM that is playing well but is way below anyone's radar is Patrick Metcalfe.

But I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't even on our prelim roster

Likely true. Loturi has also had a poor season, much of which he has been out of favor. Had Paton come back a few weeks earlier I think he could have been considered too. Fraser vs Piette is another. Ahmed is still a head scratcher to me. I demand he is one of the Copa squad changes Marsch is talking about!

For those who have a VPN or can watch outside of Canada, the CBS Jimmy Conrad/Charlie Davies/Brian McBride take on our friendlies:

Highlights for those who don't

- Charlie Davies is somewhat miffed that Marsch took the coaching job for a direct rival of the US

- They talk about Bombito a lot at the beginning but then Brian McBride says that the weakness of the CB position for this roster is that there's not a lot of pace on any of the CB's

- They question what will happen late in the games when the Canadian team may be too tired to press superior opposition and the likes of France, Holland and Argentina have got control of  the game. Davies says that this is the question that has dogged Marsch throughout his coaching career.

- McBride says we are probably the most physically dominant team in Concacaf, but it doesn't mean much if you can't track down runners through a lack of pace. He makes no mention of Jamaica incidentally

- Davies admits we are an elite counter-pressing team, key is to find out who plays in the middle of the back three between Miller & Johnston

- McBride says March is a good coach and Cnaada won't press all the time

14 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Biello is apparently likely to remain on staff. Good for us, though I would’ve liked to see him go and get a head coaching gig with one of the smaller concacaf nations and see if he can make a career for himself as a head coach. 

It’s key for us - Marsch needs someone who can give him an overview of the dressing room from an insiders POV and connect past with present.  

25 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

From what I saw it was 10 out of 20 games he played 3 at the back (if the sites are to be trusted.)   Gvardiol was playing leftback initially but switch to the centre and made a really strong group. There was a lot more 3 at the back near the end of Marsch's tenure though. 

He also had a real good group of CAMs - Nkunku, Szoboszlai, Forsberg, tiny bits of Dani Olmo. Not sure David and Davies are those type of players. 

The other PSG game he went 3-4-3 and got a draw, so who knows. 

I see what you're saying but I used the context of liepzig to get a feel for marsch using 3-4-2-1 more than a 3-5-2. Then i looked at his roster selection and his hint that davies is viewed as more than a leftback.  

I think the CAM's are really unique in a 3-4-2-1 and that would fit hoilett and millar the best. But hoilett isnt starting and davies could be viewed as a guy to give freedom too. Therefore millar drops to wingback. 

What is also interesting would be a millar, davies david front 3. Johnston moves to RWB and we bring in a back 3 of bombito, cornelius, miller..... But do you really want to drop larin for miller/cornelius?  tough call. 

28 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

For those who have a VPN or can watch outside of Canada, the CBS Jimmy Conrad/Charlie Davies/Brian McBride take on our friendlies:

Highlights for those who don't

- Charlie Davies is somewhat miffed that Marsch took the coaching job for a direct rival of the US

- They talk about Bombito a lot at the beginning but then Brian McBride says that the weakness of the CB position for this roster is that there's not a lot of pace on any of the CB's

- They question what will happen late in the games when the Canadian team may be too tired to press superior opposition and the likes of France, Holland and Argentina have got control of  the game. Davies says that this is the question that has dogged Marsch throughout his coaching career.

- McBride says we are probably the most physically dominant team in Concacaf, but it doesn't mean much if you can't track down runners through a lack of pace. He makes no mention of Jamaica incidentally

- Davies admits we are an elite counter-pressing team, key is to find out who plays in the middle of the back three between Miller & Johnston

- McBride says March is a good coach and Cnaada won't press all the time

Americans covering Canadian roster drops. What a time to be alive!

Seriously though. This is a major benefit to hiring an American (that was a candidate to take over the USA). We are basically getting bonus coverage from the yanks, who not only have a much larger market, but also it gives us an outsiders perspective on our program, which is a great thing imo.

1 hour ago, costarg said:

Do you know what type of 9 was he working with?  Is Larin a good fit for that style?  I didn't think he'd fit Marsch's mold.

Davies and David up top would give teams a lot to think about, it'll definitely keep them honest, worked like a charm vs the US all those years ago. 

andre silva(master of none? good movement but not athletically gifted) and poulsen (more target). Sounds like a decent comparison to Larin. I dont think larin is the best fit but he's hard to leave out of the convo for starting.  

I think marsch works with what he has. My understanding is that his 3-4-2-1 would have the 9 cut lanes more than sprint aggressively. The other 2 would then instigate the press and allow the 9 to defend off their press.  

Such a shame larin isn't a better fit though

9 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

He speaks well and seems to have a plan, I can see why it would be hard not to hire this guy, now let's see how his plans and organizational skills work out on the field in real competition!