Friendly Roster, Netherlands (6/6) and France (9/6)

8 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Definitely wanna see what Marsch can do and or what type of team we can be under him

Lucky for you, you will get your chance!

I see strong similarities with him and Herdman. I'm not convinced on his skill set but I wasn't with Herdman and it really worked until he hit a ceiling. I do feel Marsch and his coaching team will be throwing their everything behind this though. If he fails it won't be from a lack of trying. That is exciting and something we maybe wouldn't have got from a more experienced older coach and most of the other names linked. 

Marsch is hungry, motivated and quite frankly he and his team need a win after not working out at the last couple of destinations. Looking forward to the ride.

4 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Probably more concerning is our lack of European keepers.

I've always wondered why so many other countries can do it but we can't seem to get a GK playing in a top 5 European league in the past decade (save traitors).  We have had several MLS starters and none have been able to make the jump.

30 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I've always wondered why so many other countries can do it but we can't seem to get a GK playing in a top 5 European league in the past decade (save traitors).  We have had several MLS starters and none have been able to make the jump.

Fewer roster spots per team means fewer transfers, meaning the only north american keepers who get transferred to europe either have had to come through a european system (Ethan Horvath), or been both very excellent at a very young age + top percentile physique (Matt Turner, Djorde Petrovic, Zach Steffen) and also willing to take a massive risk that you never play outside of cup matches, and might waste your prime clapping from the bench.

Basically, we need to produce a 6'4 keeper that can be a full time starter for an MLS team, look awesome, and be open to spending his 23-27 year old season maybe playing, maybe riding the bench. And he has to be better than the prospects that are based closer to home. Plus, if you're paying to bring over a good talent from abroad, you probably want to allocate that money towards position players vs. a keeper who might maybe be slightly better than what you have at home.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

No...it isn't.

Drake I have little opinion on, after my time interested in hip hop, but I got tired of having to apologise for Bieber (and Celine Dion - though she has talent just overplayed).

PS. I should add Nickelback to the last bit.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

5 hours ago, red card said:

TVA Sports will be showing Pays-Bas match live and France match delayed at 1900.

TVA has French language rights to the Euros, showed GER v UKR friendly today and have POR v CRO friendly on Sunday.

DAZN has now Netherlands/ Canada listed on their schedule. France match isn't listed at this point.

DAZN & TVA Sports are the Canadian rights holders for European qualifiers/friendlies for at least in 2024. But DAZN shows only a limited set of friendlies per window as they're dependent on the feed having English commentary.  TVA shows only 1-2/window as they need to provide their own commentary personnel/studio production team.

Screenshot 2024-06-03 223725.jpg

14 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Watching the video that was posted this weekend makes the McGill callup make sense. Most of the European players were there. While the only goalies were him and Swiderski. Without them, not sure who the practice goalies would have been. Probably more concerning is our lack of European keepers.

Was thinking exactly the same, need some young guys to be the shot stoppers for practice and scrimmages, set piece work, then get the two main keepers into the training.

19 hours ago, red card said:

DAZN has now Netherlands/ Canada listed on their schedule. France match isn't listed at this point.

Netherlands/Canada match isn't listed anymore on DAZN's schedule. So, likely posted in error. They still have scheduled showing of Netherlands v Iceland on Monday.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, red card said:

Canada/Netherlands is not on  the upcoming matches when I looked today. There is only 1 match on Thursday and it's not the Canada game on the App. Perhaps they plan to add it?, but wasn't displayed this afternoon. LOL just read your post above!

Edited by Kadenge

21 hours ago, red card said:

DAZN & TVA Sports are the Canadian rights holders for European qualifiers/friendlies for at least in 2024. But DAZN shows only a limited set of friendlies per window as they're dependent on the feed having English commentary.  TVA shows only 1-2/window as they need to provide their own commentary personnel/studio production team.

I have the rare pleasure of being able to watch all five of our matches live on TV here in Australia this month. Optus Sport has the rights to the Copa and to most European friendlies. So, despite the very early-morning starts for the friendlies, I'll be watching live. I've had to take days off work to watch the first two Copa matches live, as they're being played in the middle of the work day here.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

I see that France only beat Luxembourg 3-0 today, FWIW. Which is the same scoreline that Uruguay are leading Mexico at the half in their friendly as I type...

I watched large parts of this game. France won because they have better players, but Luxembourg were able to put together some decent passing moves and had a surprising amount of possession at the back, with little in the way of a French press for long periods. I wonder if the French will try to up the tempo against us in their next game.

3 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I watched large parts of this game. France won because they have better players, but Luxembourg were able to put together some decent passing moves and had a surprising amount of possession at the back, with little in the way of a French press for long periods. I wonder if the French will try to up the tempo against us in their next game.

They'll have that extra day of rest and may not rotate too much. 

They don't really have a possession midfield so that may give us stints with the ball too.