Friendly Roster, Netherlands (6/6) and France (9/6)

Based on the squad and knowing Marsch's penchant for high-intensity high press, I feel he's gonna fall really hard for Millar's work rate.  I have a hard time not seeing him in the starting 11.  This brings up the obvious "where does Davies play?".  As much as it scares me to say, I would not be surprised to see him tempted into a playing a track meet style 3-4-3 team.  The only obvious "slower" guy being Miller. 

I'd be worried about playing this way vs the big guys, but it does get the strongest players on the field in positions they're very comfortable with.  There is lots of 2-way potential as well as over-lapping options.  Gives up a lot of midfield possession though, which also fits Marsch's style, he doesn't really focus on the possession game which also suits us. 

Millar / David / Tajon  
Davies / Stache / Kone / Johnston
   Miller / Cornelius / Bombito

It fits with the small number of CM's called up, does not match up with the 5 strikers he called up.  I just don't see how he fits in 2 of our strikers with the system he likes to use.  None of Bair, Brym, Larin or Ugbo scream high-press to me.  Brym has the profile, but I've never really seen him bust a lung out there.   

54 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

you know... the other thought I have is that it could be a 4-4-2.  Light on mids, heavy on strikers and wingers..... 

It makes sense, just depends on how he plans to use Davies and if Laryea is really ready.  It didn't see Marsch dropping Davies to LB, but it's possible. 

I don't see Miller or Hiebert fitting into Marsch's type of LB.

Underrated part of this announcement is the video they posted. I think this is the first time I recall that they didn’t just post the roster itself in an image and keep it moving. Putting together an announcement video for all the players is a very small touch, but meaningful in terms of someone at Canada soccer sticking to an actual marketing/comms strategy. 

2 hours ago, archer21 said:

Ali Ahmed another that I was excited about.

I've mentioned before that the floor has been raised for this team. Ahmed is a victim of that. His play so far this season does not warrant a call up. He can (and should) be disappointed by it, but he needs to elevate his play. And yes, I do think some of Vanni's tactics are responsible for some of it. But Ahmed has also not looked at the same level as last year.

1 minute ago, Watchmen said:

I've mentioned before that the floor has been raised for this team. Ahmed is a victim of that. His play so far this season does not warrant a call up. He can (and should) be disappointed by it, but he needs to elevate his play. And yes, I do think some of Vanni's tactics are responsible for some of it. But Ahmed has also not looked at the same level as last year.

Yeah I’ve been under the impression that he hasn’t been as good this year, but haven’t seen a ton of matches (thanks to stupid Apple TV + 10pm starts). His skill set is still very intriguing, as well as his positional versatility though. Would’ve been interesting to see where Marsch sees him (fullback/wingback/CM/CAM/winger)

8 minutes ago, archer21 said:

Yeah I’ve been under the impression that he hasn’t been as good this year, but haven’t seen a ton of matches (thanks to stupid Apple TV + 10pm starts). His skill set is still very intriguing, as well as his positional versatility though. Would’ve been interesting to see where Marsch sees him (fullback/wingback/CM/CAM/winger)

Marsch couldn't make up his mind so he just left him off the list :D

13 minutes ago, archer21 said:

Yeah, he can definitely work himself back in to the MNT picture in the future. He's just let off a bit this year and needs to raise his game.

And for those thinking Marsch went the opposite with some of his selections (ie deliberately didn't select some MLS players), I don't think that's the case here. Whitecaps had spent the first few months talking about how they expected to lose both Ahmed and Adekugbe to the Copa team this summer and how they planned to cope with it. And while Adekugbe's absence is understandable, I think the club will actually be bitterly disappointed that Ahmed didn't make it. I think they really did want to get a player on to that squad, another high profile mens event to promote their team.

27 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Underrated part of this announcement is the video they posted. I think this is the first time I recall that they didn’t just post the roster itself in an image and keep it moving. Putting together an announcement video for all the players is a very small touch, but meaningful in terms of someone at Canada soccer sticking to an actual marketing/comms strategy. 

I just watched the promo video..and its great..pumped after watching it

23 minutes ago, pod818 said:

I just watched the promo video..and its great..pumped after watching it

Where did you find it?  It was taken down on page one here, and couldn't even find it on the Canada Soccer site!

2 hours ago, Ally McCoist said:

What happened to a supposed dual national? Somebody needs to ban that loser's Twitter account for spreading misinformation.

Is it that goalkeeper who plays in France? He would not be high profile.

2 hours ago, canadianbacons said:

Have to say I'm disappointed to not see any dual nats in the roster - seemed like a good time to bring in at least one of Koleosho, Sigur, Jebbison, Tani, or Covil. Even just for the camp.

Plenty of time between now and 2026 

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I might take that and Hiebert as indication he wants to play 4 at the back and brought guys who can play fullback. Given the  fitness issues of some there.

I just looked at marsch's lineups for leipzig. 3-4-2-1 mostly. That's what I think we will see in the friendlys and copa except a 3-5-2 vs argentina (like he did vs psg). 

Crepeau
cornelius bombito AJ 
millar kone staq buchanan
davies David
Larin

Vs argentina we drop larin for oso/choiniere

Edited by Bigandy

2 hours ago, Ally McCoist said:

What happened to a supposed dual national? Somebody needs to ban that loser's Twitter account for spreading misinformation.

Can we also ban the people who insist on speculating ad nauseum about tweets from random-ass sources?

3 hours ago, canadianbacons said:

Have to say I'm disappointed to not see any dual nats in the roster - seemed like a good time to bring in at least one of Koleosho, Sigur, Jebbison, Tani, or Covil. Even just for the camp.

Yeah, now that Jebbison is back to health, he would proably have loved the call to get in some matches after having missed so many games for his club,  and I have a great feeling about Tani. He could be pretty special in a few years.  I guess the depth we're starting to build makes for some tough choices. 

28 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I just looked at marsch's lineups for leipzig. 3-4-2-1 mostly. That's what I think we will see in the friendlys and copa except a 3-5-2 vs argentina (like he did vs psg). 

Crepeau
cornelius bombito AJ 
davies David
Larin

I love the lineup

3 hours ago, Shway said:

In no way is Heibert better than Kennedy, or even Waterman.

That's the shocker for me. 

Brym, and Bair are probably on auditions and because they are in Holland/Scotland made it easier for them to be called. 

I think JRR ultimately ends up in the Copa squad. 

I haven't seen Hiebert play, but with kennedy back starting for his club, I thought he had a good chance to make this roster. 

12 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Crepeau
cornelius bombito AJ 
davies David
Larin

From what I saw it was 10 out of 20 games he played 3 at the back (if the sites are to be trusted.)   Gvardiol was playing leftback initially but switch to the centre and made a really strong group. There was a lot more 3 at the back near the end of Marsch's tenure though. 

He also had a real good group of CAMs - Nkunku, Szoboszlai, Forsberg, tiny bits of Dani Olmo. Not sure David and Davies are those type of players. 

The other PSG game he went 3-4-3 and got a draw, so who knows. 

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, jdheid said:

I haven't seen Hiebert play, but with kennedy back starting for his club, I thought he had a good chance to make this roster. 

Someone mentioned up the thread and I mentioned on his thread, he came off early the second to last game they had and did not play the final one.   Hopefully not, but might be injured again.

Edit: "He" meaning Kennedy to be clear.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford