Andrei Dan Dumitru

13 minutes ago, Macksam said:

What's the QRD on this boy?

Quick note, I've watched him play a bit for the academy, the U17 national team, and now for the first and second teams.

Great technically, relatively tall (6'0-6'1), and quite strong for his age. He has a heavy step, a sluggish start, and is a little faster once he gets going. He was captain of the U17 academy team last year. Defensively, let's just say it's not his strong suit in my opinion. Mainly used as an attacking midfielder, although I've seen him be put in a wider position for TFCII (which is not his position at all IMO). He works hard, and I could see him becoming a solid MLS player, but I feel his physical attributes limit his ability to go higher. He also has to gain aggression, but he's young so hopefully that'll come.

I’ve liked what I’ve seen from him in the two games I’ve seen him play live, albeit vs a couple of League 1 teams.  Doesn’t seem out of place but also hasn’t shown that his play with make him stand out.  Which depending on his position, isn’t necessarily a bad thing.  His body size looks good for his age and he seems comfortable on the ball.  A lot of sideways and backwards passing last night but being up big in the tie likely contributed to this.  Perhaps some nerves.  He did quickly track down and press an opponent very well yesterday.  I remember that effort standing out.  The only real negative I saw from him yesterday was when he tried threading a pass on the run through 3 opponents in his own half which was intercepted.  I was rooting for him so when I saw the pass he intended I immediately knew it was dangerous and within 5 seconds St Laurent had hit the post and put a follow shot right at Gavran.  And I thought to myself, hopefully a learning for him as top teams will punish you for simple mistakes and it almost did.

13 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

The CSA/Marsch should pay attention because JH had a real good eye for spotting young high end talent and wasn't afraid to play them early in their pro careers.

Be real - Herdman didn’t have an eye for talent he just had a generation handed to him. There was no young player he ever called off the board or prematurely save for Busti and Okello who were complete flops. 

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Be real - Herdman didn’t have an eye for talent he just had a generation handed to him. There was no young player he ever called off the board or prematurely save for Busti and Okello who were complete flops. 

Thanks, I was itching to make a similar comment.

Long day and a little tired, but off the top of my head, I'm thinking Bombito (but he mostly played him out of position - typical). 

There is also Kone - but Kone earned that, it's not like Herdman discovered anything. 

Ahmed might have been unproven, but he wasn't very young and was also playing at a high level.  Any of us would have called him up as well.

I can't recall ever thinking Herdman spotted anything we didn't.  He seemed sold on Brym and Fraser which we're all still rooting for, but hasn't quite happened.

Mitrovic could and should have been that call up.  That would have been an interesting piece for us given the midfielder shortage.  We know he and his dad were waiting for the call, but here we are, he's playing in Serie A now.

Edited by costarg

34 minutes ago, costarg said:

Thanks, I was itching to make a similar comment.

Long day and a little tired, but off the top of my head, I'm thinking Bombito (but he mostly played him out of position - typical). 

There is also Kone - but Kone earned that, it's not like Herdman discovered anything. 

Ahmed might have been unproven, but he wasn't very young and was also playing at a high level.  Any of us would have called him up as well.

I can't recall ever thinking Herdman spotted anything we didn't.  He seemed sold on Brym and Fraser which we're all still rooting for, but hasn't quite happened.

Mitrovic could and should have been that call up.  That would have been an interesting piece for us given the midfielder shortage.  We know he and his dad were waiting for the call, but here we are, he's playing in Serie A now.

He called Kone very early - before Cote d'Ivoire could pose a threat. He deserves credit for that. Johnston was starting to play regularly for Nashville, but it was still a surprise that he was included so quickly.

Mitrovic was a miss and Sturing was a whiff.

48 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

He called Kone very early - before Cote d'Ivoire could pose a threat. He deserves credit for that. Johnston was starting to play regularly for Nashville, but it was still a surprise that he was included so quickly.

Mitrovic was a miss and Sturing was a whiff.

Jury is out on Pearlman.

17 minutes ago, An Observer said:

I would say Johnston was definitely a spot by Herdman; Miller to a certain extent and even Brym (he is now playing in the top Dutch league) as he brought him in and stuck with him when most of us were questioning why he was doing that.  

Johnston? No way. He was starring for Nashville before his first cap ditto for Buchanan.

9 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

There were a lot of raised eyebrows when Kone was called up to the CMNT after just a few games with CFM. Same with Bombito. He may have played him as a DM which didn't work but you can't ignore his raw ability. I wasn't  suggesting that Dumitru be called up btw.

11 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

And the bullshit never ends. He had been pursuing Eustaquio for some time before he became anybody. He brought Buchanan into the Olympic team. He brought along Johnston and Miller when no one knew who the fuck they were. He was raving about Millar before he left for Europe. Not to mention Kone. One thing Herdman has is an eye for talent. 

2 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

And the bullshit never ends. He had been pursuing Eustaquio for some time before he became anybody. He brought Buchanan into the Olympic team. He brought along Johnston and Miller when no one knew who the fuck they were. He was raving about Millar before he left for Europe. Not to mention Kone. One thing Herdman has is an eye for talent. 

You talk about bullshit and then claim Herdman was making Olympic team selections. 

Plus Johnston and Miller were already getting MLS minutes 

58 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

There were a lot of raised eyebrows when Kone was called up to the CMNT after just a few games with CFM. Same with Bombito. He may have played him as a DM which didn't work but you can't ignore his raw ability. I wasn't  suggesting that Dumitru be called up btw.

My feeling is the only people raising eyebrows at the Kone call up were people who hadn't seen him play or people with a negative bias towards CFM.  It was early, but it was earned.  He was an obvious standout to people watching his games.

Herdman is supposed to be watching all these guys, it's fair to say he watched CFM, saw Kone and just did what everyone else would have done.  Not like he went to some secret underground club spotted a guy juggling the ball off in the corner and decided to give a bench player a chance.

10 hours ago, An Observer said:

Miller to a certain extent 

I don't know about Miller, he had already played for the U20, so he was known.  Also played over 1000' for Orlando as a 21yr old.  We didn't have that many kids around MLS back then.  I remember following Miller very closely in his Orlando days, it was quite obvious his baseline was gonna be MLS starter even back then.  

7 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

I don't know about this one.

Buchannan was looking incredible his rookie year.  Everyone noticed and was talking about him.

Johnston and Miller were both MLS regulars.

Millar was already at Liverpool when Herdman started with CANMNT.  Who wouldn't have known about a Canadian at Liverpool academy who also was at Fulham for 3 years before that?

Kone was already a starter for an MLS club.  Had an MLS goal, trained with Bologna and was also playing CONCACAF champions league matches with CFM - how do we give Herdman credit for spotting this?

Wow. The expectations on JH are absolutely wild. I don't think any manager has brought in anywhere near the talent that JH has. The counter argument is that JH "wouldve done what anyone else wouldve". Yet if we go back in these forums, theres alot of criticism about bringing in guys too early. Even today we have criticism over LDF who is far and away our best prospect and probably our 4th best CB. 

Players who can credit their CMNT involvement to JH:
Kone-early call up
Bombito-early call up
Buchanan 
Johnston- identified he could play RCB (yes we have people who HATE to discuss him as a CB but at the time, we had no options).
Millar - he gave an interview crediting JH alot (if i remember right)
Corbeanu - was still a young prospect
Staq - coming off an injury when no one knew of him
Shaf
Nelson
Sturing
Kennedy - No one knew of him before herdman and he played a big role. 
Mcgill
Ali
Heibert - call up early in his mls days
Waterman -early call up
Zator
Bair
Loturi
Brym - called up early as a prospect/dual
Ayo
Ferraira
Priso
JMR
JRR
Choiniere
Mcnauton
ZMG
Paton
Ugbo
Spoony
didic
Tabla
st clair
Okello

Just now, Bigandy said:

Wow. The expectations on JH are absolutely wild. I don't think any manager has brought in anywhere near the talent that JH has. The counter argument is that JH "wouldve done what anyone else wouldve". Yet if we go back in these forums, theres alot of criticism about bringing in guys too early. Even today we have criticism over LDF who is far and away our best prospect and probably our 4th best CB. 

Players who can credit their CMNT involvement to JH:
Kone-early call up
Bombito-early call up
Buchanan 
Johnston- identified he could play RCB (yes we have people who HATE to discuss him as a CB but at the time, we had no options).
Millar - he gave an interview crediting JH alot (if i remember right)
Corbeanu - was still a young prospect
Staq - coming off an injury when no one knew of him
Shaf
Nelson
Sturing
Kennedy - No one knew of him before herdman and he played a big role. 
Mcgill
Ali
Heibert - call up early in his mls days
Waterman -early call up
Zator
Bair
Loturi
Brym - called up early as a prospect/dual
Ayo
Ferraira
Priso
JMR
JRR
Choiniere
Mcnauton
ZMG
Paton
Ugbo
Spoony
didic
Tabla
st clair
Okello

I do understand that debuts are different from identifying talent. Surely the expectations for level of talent from 2019-22 was considerably lower than a Kone standard.

Early talent identification
-Kone
-Bombito
-Johnston as a RCB
-Brym
-Corbeanu
-Waterman
-Kennedy
-Mcgill
-Millar
-Shaf
-ali
-Heibert

Players that JH was late on calling up:
mitrovic...but possible that he was worried about team dynamics with mitrovic SR being a twat.
Choiniere? - although so far there is no proof of this at the CMNT level.
Sigur? - Hard to criticize JH for not calling up a guy in U-sports and then he turned down calls when he went abroad. 

So the argument is - JH is bad at identifying talent because he only did what anyone else would do...... not because he missed players.... Weird

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Johnston? No way. He was starring for Nashville before his first cap ditto for Buchanan.

bruh ...im sick of your negative crap...he brought them to a world cup jus tfc hate from you like always

Edited by reggietfc

Posted (edited)

Herdman gets discredited for discovering a lot of guys because people here are psychos who pencil in irrelevant prospects as future stars after their first good pro game (myself included), so by the time they're called into camp, they're old news for us. Herdman called in Bombito who was an irrelevant player at the time (high MLS draft pick is irrelevant). he called in Kone after like 7 pro games (his "hype" was tony marino yelling about him being the next yaya toure), he spent a lot of time brigning in LDF who is a "highly ranked prospect", but ultimately, he was like a U17 Fullham player at the time whose biggest accolade as winning the "best academic performance in youth academy" trophy or whatever, and look at him now. Herdman gets no credit for any of these guys because they were all well spoken about before they got called up, but not like any casual observer of the team would've mentioned them.

Same for his "misses". Mitrovic was a whiff, but we did come close, it was just too late, but I suspect his family didn't work with JH in the best of faith. Sigur wants to play for Croatia, nothing you can do. Marcelo Flores wanted Mexico. Lot of duals weren't given red carpet treatment years before they earned it and turned on us, but we'll see over the years how many of them actually become good players.

Doesn't mean JH doesn't get lost in the sauce and let passion take the wheel. Only watched Dumitru once, against CSL, definitely didn't look like Kone who instantly looked very solid against very good teams, but he's 17, first ever game that was a glorified friendly, he didn't embarass himself, so maybe there's something there. I wonder if Herdman was still managing Canada how long he'd wait before calling him up.

56 minutes ago, costarg said:

I don't know about this one.

Buchannan was looking incredible his rookie year.  Everyone noticed and was talking about him.

Johnston and Miller were both MLS regulars.

Millar was already at Liverpool when Herdman started with CANMNT.  Who wouldn't have known about a Canadian at Liverpool academy who also was at Fulham for 3 years before that?

Kone was already a starter for an MLS club.  Had an MLS goal, trained with Bologna and was also playing CONCACAF champions league matches with CFM - how do we give Herdman credit for spotting this?

Should we call in Oumar Diallo from Juventus? He has been in the academy of one of the biggest clubs on earth for like 3 years now, surely even an amateur scout would identify his obvious talent (in reality he's not very good). Why wasn't Noah Abaneh called in while at (I think) Roma? Our CB depth is weak. Herdman didn't discover Liam Millar playing sunday league in front of 3 fans, but it's not like being a player at a top academy is a direct pathway to our national team, let alone becoming a good player. For Bologna, Sebastian Breza was owned by Bologna, trained with them, is one of the worst keepers I've ever seen. Like half of CFM's academy has trained at Bologna and almost none of them will ever play for us. There is a talent evaluation component to this beyond the club they play for.

Edited by InglewoodJack

22 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Herdman gets discredited for discovering a lot of guys because people here are psychos who pencil in irrelevant prospects as future stars after their first good pro game (myself included), so by the time they're called into camp, they're old news for us. Herdman called in Bombito who was an irrelevant player at the time (high MLS draft pick is irrelevant). he called in Kone after like 7 pro games (his "hype" was tony marino yelling about him being the next yaya toure), he spent a lot of time brigning in LDF who is a "highly ranked prospect", but ultimately, he was like a U17 Fullham player at the time whose biggest accolade as winning the "best academic performance in youth academy" trophy or whatever, and look at him now. Herdman gets no credit for any of these guys because they were all well spoken about before they got called up, but not like any casual observer of the team would've mentioned them.

Same for his "misses". Mitrovic was a whiff, but we did come close, it was just too late, but I suspect his family didn't work with JH in the best of faith. Sigur wants to play for Croatia, nothing you can do. Marcelo Flores wanted Mexico. Lot of duals weren't given red carpet treatment years before they earned it and turned on us, but we'll see over the years how many of them actually become good players.

Doesn't mean JH doesn't get lost in the sauce and let passion take the wheel. Only watched Dumitru once, against CSL, definitely didn't look like Kone who instantly looked very solid against very good teams, but he's 17, first ever game that was a glorified friendly, he didn't embarass himself, so maybe there's something there. I wonder if Herdman was still managing Canada how long he'd wait before calling him up.

Should we call in Oumar Diallo from Juventus? He has been in the academy of one of the biggest clubs on earth for like 3 years now, surely even an amateur scout would identify his obvious talent (in reality he's not very good). Why wasn't Noah Abaneh called in while at (I think) Roma? Our CB depth is weak. Herdman didn't discover Liam Millar playing sunday league in front of 3 fans, but it's not like being a player at a top academy is a direct pathway to our national team, let alone becoming a good player. For Bologna, Sebastian Breza was owned by Bologna, trained with them, is one of the worst keepers I've ever seen. Like half of CFM's academy has trained at Bologna and almost none of them will ever play for us. There is a talent evaluation component to this beyond the club they play for.

CANMNT in 2018 does not equal CANMNT 2024. 

The depth was nowhere near what it is now.  Have you forgotten we were regularly calling players from Unattached FC?  And they were playing!

An 18 year old in the Liverpool system in 2018 was a very big deal for us.  We can't compare that to Diallo or Abaneh.

Bombito can be debatable.  You're doing Kone disservice on this one.  We were raving about his performances.  Everyone was predicting he'd be in EU in a matter of months.  Herdman and Marinaro were not Oracles.  

1 hour ago, reggietfc said:

bruh ...im sick of your negative crap...he brought them to a world cup jus tfc hate from you like always

Jeez, not my battle, but how do you throw out "TFC hate" based on a guys comment on what Herdman did while he was at CANMNT?  WTH is going on with this board lately?