2025 CONCACAF Champions Cup

41 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

Problem with this idea is that MLS/MX won't be ditching Leagues Cup as it's a venture they directly control.

Personally I hate the swiss system, both in how UEFA and how Concacaf currently employ it.

The funny thing is the current UEFA Champions League format reminds me a lot with the Leagues Cup group stage where there are too many meaningless or uninteresting games for a casual fan

On 9/16/2024 at 2:18 PM, narduch said:

The funny thing is the current UEFA Champions League format reminds me a lot with the Leagues Cup group stage where there are too many meaningless or uninteresting games for a casual fan

I think I need to see it first. I actually think it will create more meaningful games because the top 16 are just way too good for the bottom 16 in the old format. I think now there will be some interesting games because there will be such a logjam for those middle spots and even though the unbalanced schedule could be considered unfair there will be more competitive and different match ups. The old format was like.. wake me up before you go go to the round of 16. At the end of the day upu can predict the final 8 with 80% certainty but at least the first half of the competition isn't lambs to slaughter

Edited by SpursFlu

Last year's Caribbean Cup runners-up, Cavalier of Jamaica, lost this week to Real Hope of Haiti in group stage, putting them both in the top two spots with a few matchdays left. 

Group B is led by Moca and Cibao, both of the Dominican Republic.

The first legs of the Central American Cup Quarterfinals are set for Tuesday-Thursday. I'd say Comunicaciones-Alajuelense is the tie of that round.

• 2 weeks later...

Concacaf Caribbean Cup:

Cavalier (Jamaica), Moca and Cibao (both Dominican Republic) have clinched berths into the Caribbean semifinals. They will be joined by the winner of the Real Hope/Mount Pleasant match on thursday. The winner of the tournament qualifies for the Round of 16 while runners-up and third qualify for the First Round of the 2025 Concacaf Champions Cup.

Central American Cup:

Quarterfinals Leg 2 are this week. As things currently stand after the first leg:

Comunicaciones (GUA) 1-2 Alajuelense (CR)
Antigua (GUA) 0-0 Saprissa (CR)
Real Esteli (NIC) 2-1 Aguila (ES)
Motagua (HON) 2-2 Herediano (CR)

Winner of the tournament qualifies for the Round of 16 while the runners-up, semifinalists, and two play-in winners qualify for Round One (basically, top six from the QF teams).

5 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

If a team wins the Shield and the CPL playoffs who qualifies for Champions?

I'm asking because Forge looks to be the obvious Shield at this point 

Been wondering this too

53 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I think the obvious answer is the playoff runner-up. Not sure they would go to Shield runner-up in this scenario, but who knows!

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

It bothers me so much that we don't have documentation that explains these kinds of scenarios. It should be simple enough for this to be explained for the Canadian spots. More complicated for the MLS, Liga MX, Leagues Cup spots.

On 10/4/2024 at 10:55 AM, SpursFlu said:

On 10/4/2024 at 11:00 AM, narduch said:

Been wondering this too

On 10/4/2024 at 11:51 AM, Mihairokov said:

I think the obvious answer is the playoff runner-up. Not sure they would go to Shield runner-up in this scenario, but who knows!

The second place team in regular season gets the spot.

2 hours ago, Mihairokov said:

Do you have a source for this or place where we might find this? Just for the sake of posterity. 

I do not remember where but I'm sure it's correct. It was a credible source.