2025 CONCACAF Champions Cup

Posted (edited)

This will be the second edition with the new format.

Qualified Teams:

Round of 16:

• America (Mexico) - Liga MX Champions
  • Columbus (USA) - Leagues Cup 

Preliminary Round:

• Monterrey (Mexico) - Liga MX
  • Tigres (Mexico) - Liga MX
  • Chivas (Mexico) - Liga MX
  • Pumas (Mexico) - Liga MX
  • Cruz Azul (Mexico) - Liga MX
  • LAFC (USA) - Leagues Cup 
  • Colorado (USA) - Leagues Cup
Edited by narduch

Draw for the 2024 Central American Cup will be on June 6.

Manjrekar James and his club Alajuelense have qualified.

There are six spots up for grabs for the CCC.

https://www.concacaf.com/central-american-cup/news/concacaf-confirms-important-details-for-2024-concacaf-central-american-cup/

Key dates:

Group Stage Week 1: July 30 – August 1, 2024
Group Stage Week 2: August 6-8, 2024
Group Stage Week 3: August 13-15, 2024
Group Stage Week 4: August 20-22, 2024
Group Stage Week 5: August 27-29, 2024

Quarterfinals: September 24-26 and October 1-3, 2024
Semifinals and Play-In: October 29-31and November 5-7, 2024
Final: November 26-28 and December 3-5, 2024

Draw for the 2024 Caribbean Cup will be on June 6.

The big news for this year is that Haiti is back in. They will have 2 teams in the tournament. They were banned last year because their league was not even running.

https://www.concacaf.com/caribbean-cup/news/concacaf-confirms-important-details-for-the-2024-concacaf-caribbean-cup/

Information on the CFU Club Sheild that qualifies 2 teams for this tournament have not been released yet.

Key dates:

Group Stage Week 1: August 20-22, 2024
Group Stage Week 2: August 27-29, 2024
Group Stage Week 3: September 17-19, 2024
Group Stage Week 4: September 24-26, 2024
Group Stage Week 5: October 1-3, 2024

Semifinals: October 22-24 and 29-31, 2024
Third Place and Final: November 26-28 and December 3-5, 2024 

13 hours ago, narduch said:

Draw for the 2024 Central American Cup will be on June 6.

Manjrekar James and his club Alajuelense have qualified.

There are six spots up for grabs for the CCC.

https://www.concacaf.com/central-american-cup/news/concacaf-confirms-important-details-for-2024-concacaf-central-american-cup/

Key dates:

Group Stage Week 1: July 30 – August 1, 2024
Group Stage Week 2: August 6-8, 2024
Group Stage Week 3: August 13-15, 2024
Group Stage Week 4: August 20-22, 2024
Group Stage Week 5: August 27-29, 2024

Quarterfinals: September 24-26 and October 1-3, 2024
Semifinals and Play-In: October 29-31and November 5-7, 2024
Final: November 26-28 and December 3-5, 2024

If I'm reading this correctly, Costa Rica gets 4 spots, Belize 1 spot, and everyone else 3 spots?

4 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

If I'm reading this correctly, Costa Rica gets 4 spots, Belize 1 spot, and everyone else 3 spots?

Looks like they moved the fourth Honduras spot to Nicaragua, who only had two teams in last year's tournament.

The 2024 Caribbean Cup doesn't start until August 20. There are 3 CCC spots up for grabs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_CONCACAF_Caribbean_Cup

However, the 2024 CFU Club Shield does start this week. The tournament is being held in Curacao and runs from July 25 to August 4. The 2 finalist earn a spot in the full Caribbean Cup.

Only 20 of the 31 CFU nations have placed a team in the tournament.

More info here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_CFU_Club_Shield

• 2 weeks later...

CFC Club Shield: Last year's winning team, Robinhood (Suriname), have lost to Grenades (Antigua & Barbuda) in the Quarterfinal stage. This year's event will have a new winner and runner-up going to the Caribbean Cup. later in August. Robinhood qualified for 2024 Champions Cup as winners as last year's Caribbean Cup, which means that CC will have a new winning team going to the Champions Cup Round of 16 (if the format remains).

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

There's a small but not insignificant chance that Indy Eleven can qualify for CCC as USOC runners up. 

I hope this happens!

By the way MLS on Apple TV has the USOC games.

LAFC looking pretty good to qualify for CCC 3 different ways.

Edited by narduch

On 8/20/2024 at 11:44 AM, Mihairokov said:

There's a small but not insignificant chance that Indy Eleven can qualify for CCC as USOC runners up. 

LAFC booked their place in CCC last night. So this is definitely in play.

Columbus also booked their spot.

Something I just realized. If this Favian guy is right about Indy Eleven I guess that means we know Leagues Cup > US Open Cup. I still don't think we have a ranking of the different American/Canadian/MLS spots.

We know for sure Leagues Cup champs and MLS Cup champs are top level, since they enter the competition later than the other Canada/USA spots. But do we know if LAFC (or Columbus) wins both, which spot they will be representing, and as a result, who gets the other spot?

So what we seem to know is...

1. Leagues Cup champs and MLS Cup champs, not sure which trumps which but they are the top 2 spots for MLS teams
2. Leagues Cup 2nd/3rd is ahead of US Open Cup champs (so likely also ahead of Voyageurs Cup champs)
3. MLS regular season 4 spots could be ahead or behind Leagues Cup 2nd/3rd or US Open champs. I'm not sure.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Something I just realized. If this Favian guy is right about Indy Eleven I guess that means we know Leagues Cup > US Open Cup. I still don't think we have a ranking of the different American/Canadian/MLS spots.

We know for sure Leagues Cup champs and MLS Cup champs are top level, since they enter the competition later than the other Canada/USA spots. But do we know if LAFC (or Columbus) wins both, which spot they will be representing, and as a result, who gets the other spot?

So what we seem to know is...

1. Leagues Cup champs and MLS Cup champs, not sure which trumps which but they are the top 2 spots for MLS teams
2. Leagues Cup 2nd/3rd is ahead of US Open Cup champs (so likely also ahead of Voyageurs Cup champs)
3. MLS regular season 4 spots could be ahead or behind Leagues Cup 2nd/3rd or US Open champs. I'm not sure.

Good questions.

Amazingly it never came up last year. I don't think any team qualified more than 1 way.

I think LAFC can qualify 3 times basically this year.

Posted (edited)

Quarter finals are set in the Central American Cup. 3 clubs from Costa Rica, 2 from Guatemala and 1 from each of Honduras, Nicaragua and El Salvador.

Winners advance to CCC. Losers playoff for the final 2 spots.

image.png.324876beeabc912c6e5151cf099a8e6e.png

Edited by narduch

The Panama teams really crashed out in this tournament. Independiente, in particular, only beat Port Loyola of Belize and lost their other three matches, including to an Olimpia side which also didn't qualify for the quarterfinals.

3 hours ago, narduch said:

Quarter finals are set in the Central American Cup. 3 clubs from Costa Rica, 2 from Guatemala and 1 from each of Honduras, Nicaragua and El Salvador.

Winners advance to CCC. Losers playoff for the final 2 spots.

image.png.324876beeabc912c6e5151cf099a8e6e.png

It's a pretty good mix of countries still eligible, though it also shows the continuing dominance of the Costa Rican league. And Panama having no teams advance is pretty shocking.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure how I feel about this so called "Swiss System" UEFA is using but I can't help but think if you ditched the LeaguesCup you could use something similar in Concacaf for a Club Competition. If you want to include all the US and Mexican teams you could probably create 2 competitions. 

Edited by SpursFlu