Jesse Marsch: CanMNT manager

1 hour ago, reggietfc said:

lmao...the boogie man is under your bed,this cpl/mls paranoia is stupid

No paranoia - it’s playing out in front of you. Find me another men’s coach worldwide that has ever been sponsored by a league. 

45 minutes ago, Shway said:

Wait...I can't keep up.

Is it being stated that his salary is being subsidized by MLS clubs? Or is that a theory.

I do want to know what his contract is though.

The press release system the funding was coming from the MLS club owners. We'd be splitting hairs over the exact method of it.

3 hours ago, YorkRegionFan said:

Can someone give a synopsis of his preferred playing style.  And how is his in-game management?

At Leeds and Leipzig, his teams scored plenty of goals. They problem was they always conceded more. Defense was always susceptible to a counter and the heavy pressing meant players tired out way too fast. Needless to say in game management was poor. Always seemed like no lead was big enough. 

3 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

No paranoia - it’s playing out in front of you. Find me another men’s coach worldwide that has ever been sponsored by a league. 

Now the name  causes confusion ( I agree not great) but he is not sponsored by a league, if the press release is correct. 

He is sponsored by 3 owners/ownership groups and others.

1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Now the name  causes confusion ( I agree not great) but he is not sponsored by a league, if the press release is correct. 

He is sponsored by 3 owners/ownership groups and others.

True but just going off the name alone it raises concerns. Surprised any party would want that unless it’s strictly a power move. 

4 hours ago, Mihairokov said:

Part of me is fine with Marsch as manager but the donations from the MLS owners feel very, very bad to me. Feels like preference will be shifted over to their players for future roster builds, but perhaps my tea leaves are suggesting something that isn't there.

This was my initial thought as well, so it's not just you.  Gawd that would be just awful.  Lobbying at its worst.

2 minutes ago, costarg said:

This was my initial thought as well, so it's not just you.  Gawd that would be just awful.  Lobbying at its worst.

There’s obviously some sort of lobbying at play but I’m hoping the lobbying is actually from all of MLS and they’re just saying it’s the 3 Canadian owners. Think about it: American fans would be pissed so they have to say it was the Canadian teams - also buys some goodwill from fans in Canada. MLS obviously has stock in our national team as we will likely be the country in 2026 with the most players from their league and it would be a bad look if we flunked out. 

If Blue played this angle then all the power to him. Beggars can’t be choosers. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

At Leeds and Leipzig, his teams scored plenty of goals. They problem was they always conceded more. Defense was always susceptible to a counter and the heavy pressing meant players tired out way too fast. Needless to say in game management was poor. Always seemed like no lead was big enough. 

The only time he was in charge when they played us (West Ham) it wasn't counter attacks, (which on our day we excellent at).  It was a couple gifts, a penalty and a give away that gave us our goals.  One of them by Aaronson.

But they came back and levelled it.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Wait...I can't keep up.

Is it being stated that his salary is being subsidized by MLS clubs? Or is that a theory.

I do want to know what his contract is though.

I’ve actually been accused of making it up 😭

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article/jesse-marsch-believes-now-is-the-right-moment-to-become-canadian-mens-coach/

Good article. But I like  the video with Marsch. Like what he said regarding development and dule nat recruitment.

Blue is a natural salesman and Marsch is a known name. Their combo might help recruit duel nats better then the previous regime.  JH had an incompetent CSA behind him. 

So far this guy has managed to raise lots of money for a coach. The previous regime would have spent that money on suits and travel.

I am happy with the trajectory so far. 

59 minutes ago, gator said:

I have little choice but to support the manager but I do not like this one bit, this MLS Canada coach thing is ridiculous and I am not real keen on an American with a spotty record taking over our team! Of course I don't know the dynamics of the hire and maybe this was the best we could do but I am underwhelmed! 

Makes me wonder what happened to Kuntz.  We can have a fundraiser for Marsch but not Kuntz (if money was the reason).  Someone raised a valid question, was the money raised for Marsch specifically or whoever would be the coach.  The conspiracist in me might say the decision was already made.

17 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

True but just going off the name alone it raises concerns. Surprised any party would want that unless it’s strictly a power move. 

I know, it's not great.

That said, there are rules in place about international selection.  It's when we start violating those, there is actually a problem.  As said above I will complain if I actually see that.

It's similar to dual/treble/quadruple nationals for me. I would love every player to raised in our system, like I saw Davies. But you follow the rules as written and try to make your best team...or hire your best coach.

5 hours ago, RS said:

Interesting tidbit from the press release:

The appointment of Marsch is assisted by major philanthropic contributions from the owners of the three Canadian-based MLS clubs – Vancouver Whitecaps, Joey Saputo, and Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment – and supplemented by other private donors. In recognition of their significant philanthropic support, Marsch’s position will be formally titled as the MLS Canada Men’s National Team Head Coach during the term of his initial contract. This type of donor recognition is common at universities and hospitals, in NCAA sports, and is starting to be used in the Canadian sport system – for example, with the Stollery Family Women’s National Team Head Coach support at Golf Canada.

These commitments are part of a forthcoming major gifts program that will provide Canadian philanthropists with a structured opportunity to support Canada Soccer programs of all types – including the Men’s and Women’s National Team systems, from youth teams up through the senior national teams.

How do we make The Family Guy Men's U20 National Team Head Coach happen?

Decent interview here: 

Can see a similar verbiage to Blue. Easy to see where they align with the vision for Canada Soccer. 

I definitely fear the talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk, however it was often argued Herdman was a snake oil salesman. At least we know the players will buy into what someone is selling lol.

The biggest concern is the one I listed when he was first linked. If results don't come quickly then that's going to be the end of his tenure. Just look at this thread. Wide division amongst the fanbase, especially the hardcore supporters is far from ideal. Some people will be looking for the chance to stick the knife in. 

Again..not that dissimilar to Herdman. That was a far bigger gamble and divisive appointment. 

Just now, toontownman said:

Decent interview here: 

Can see a similar verbiage to Blue. Easy to see where they align with the vision for Canada Soccer. 

I definitely fear the talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk, however it was often argued Herdman was a snake oil salesman. At least we know the players will buy into what someone is selling lol.

The biggest concern is the one I listed when he was first linked. If results don't come quickly then that's going to be the end of his tenure. Just look at this thread. Wide division amongst the fanbase, especially the hardcore supporters is far from ideal. Some people will be looking for the chance to stick the knife in. 

Again..not that dissimilar to Herdman. That was a far bigger gamble and divisive appointment. 

It's a 2 year appointment.

Can't see it being more or less than that, honestly.

Hardcores are hardcores for a reason, we have strong opinions either way .

Probably sadly, it is only for the hardcores for which the bar is actually not really low.

Most of the rest of football world and Canada generally either don't know or don't care about our upcoming matches.  So I can't see us doing poorly in them making that big a difference.  Same old, same old.

We do well...we play Messi (I hate that it's this way) and do okay it could be a big moment.  And that maybe changes a little the attention and expectations. 

As for here, knives are out now and will be then if not perfect, which it won't be.

Realistically he's the best coach we could afford, and we needed help to afford him.  We gotta live with that.  

Looking forward to seeing what he can do.

2 goals and 1 point at the Copa would be an achievement for Marsch in my books. 

Posted (edited)

This'll likely come out in the wash, if it hasn't already, but I would not be surprised if Blue, in his effort to correct the financial boondoggle the CSA got themselves into, approached the owners of the Canadian MLS clubs to see if they might help underwrite Marsch's salary. It is a smart move, all things considered, but if and only if he did not give away too much in order to secure these donations.  Aside from some super clunky branding, what else are the MLS owners/clubs getting in return for their philanthropy. I don't doubt that Kerfoot and Saputo were on board to kick in cash for the good of the game in this country, and perhaps once they were on board MLSE had to chip in or end up looking like Big City Dickwads.  But there is no way in hell Marsch would sign a contract where he is forced to select players from specific clubs because those clubs have subsidized his salary. From what I've read, that is just not in his character.

CSA may have promised MNT matches in all three cities. What else might they have promised? We may find that it isn't much at all, but time will tell.  I, for one, am not particularly worried about this arrangement. In fact, this might be a bit of genius scrambling, the sort of stuff a small business owner such as myself kinda admires. 

Edited by The Beaver 2.0

5 hours ago, JamboAl said:

When Herdman was manager, certain powerful and rich people in Canada donated oodles of money to make sure we qualified for 2022.  Those charter planes shuttling us between Toronto and Central America did not come free.  Maybe some of them had MLS links.

Not refuting, but first I hear of this, do we have more info, background or source?  Curious.