Jesse Marsch: CanMNT manager

8 minutes ago, Shway said:

Go back in the threads, you'll see it was very few. A lot of us were calling for the DC/MB pairing, and none of us have our UEFA badges, so it wasn't a shocker to see it but an "about time" or "okay let's go" feeling. 

Ohhh I know, I was one of the loudest asking for DC/MB and felt like I was an outlier and had to justify myself for:

"lack of respect towards the guys that got us to the WC"

"best defensive record in WCQ"

"experience"

"we need to do what suits Davies best"

etc....

Keep in mind, only 6 months ago people were still claiming Vitoria was necessary to our formation and backline.  He was barely playing for the worst team in Portugal and is now unattached.

Linked to the Stroud brothers situation....

My only criticism of Marsch getting the CANMNT coach nod, was his obvious bias for US players during his time in Montreal.  He raised a lot of eyebrows back then with some of the selections.

I figured we'd be ok and protected by this considering it's a national team, I made a comment about McGraw, saying it might be an indication of his leanings if McGraw somehow started getting minutes over our other obvious better CB's. 

It's still early, and I don't wanna panic, but I'm getting a little concerned and uncomfortable with this news.

3 minutes ago, costarg said:

My only criticism of Marsch getting the CANMNT coach nod, was his obvious bias for US players during his time in Montreal.  He raised a lot of eyebrows back then with some of the selections.

I figured we'd be ok and protected by this considering it's a national team, I made a comment about McGraw, saying it might be an indication of his leanings if McGraw somehow started getting minutes over our other obvious better CB's. 

It's still early, and I don't wanna panic, but I'm getting a little concerned and uncomfortable with this news.

You are considering panicking because we are looking at dual nationals?

11 minutes ago, costarg said:

I was sure you were making a post about how Marsch proved you wrong and his callups weren't US biased.

I think he liked the idea we got deep with so many MLS players, but hey, we got deep with MLS players. 

The only real question mark was not calling Corbeanu, but then all the key dual national moves like Sigur and Lopez aren't American.

38 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

You are considering panicking because we are looking at dual nationals?

Go easy on the mental gymnastics.  Read the post again slowly. 

Marsch has shown clear and obvious bias for US players, anyone that watched and remembers the Impact 2012 season will tell you that.

The Stroud's might be worthy, I honestly haven't seen enough to say one way or the other at the moment.  I will be concerned and bothered if McGraw starts getting called up over someone that is clearly better. 

42 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I was sure you were making a post about how Marsch proved you wrong and his callups weren't US biased.

I think he liked the idea we got deep with so many MLS players, but hey, we got deep with MLS players. 

The only real question mark was not calling Corbeanu, but then all the key dual national moves like Sigur and Lopez aren't American.

I was thrilled with his selections and 11's.  Like I said, my only concern is if his history of US bias pops up on CANMNT.  The sample size is tiny, it's not like he could've fielded 5 US born, Canadian connected players at Copa.

11 minutes ago, costarg said:

Go easy on the mental gymnastics.  Read the post again slowly. 

Marsch has shown clear and obvious bias for US players, anyone that watched and remembers the Impact 2012 season will tell you that.

The Stroud's might be worthy, I honestly haven't seen enough to say one way or the other at the moment.  I will be concerned and bothered if McGraw starts getting called up over someone that is clearly better. 

Ha.

Read very very slowly you still mention  "panic" seemingly crossing your mind (you wouldn't mention it if it hadn't) in a post about us maybe considering some depth piece duals.

Honestly gave me a pretty good chuckle.

Zator was called and McGraw wasn't.

I'm all for foresight, but not really for stressing about (after mentioning "panic" in the same post) issues that don't exist yet.

3 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Ha.

Read very very slowly you still mention  "panic" seemingly crossing your mind (you wouldn't mention it if it hadn't) in a post about us maybe considering some depth piece duals.

Honestly gave me a pretty good chuckle.

Zator was called and McGraw wasn't.

I'm all for foresight, but not really for stressing about (after mentioning "panic" in the same post) issues that don't exist yet.

Once again, you're focusing on one word without the context.

Also, I didn't say McGraw was called, I said i'd be concerned if it was the case. 

Seriously, just read it man, not sure why you need to look for a reaction and claim things that aren't written.  I've been an adamant supporter of Marsch from the day of his assignment, I have no idea what you are trying to defend or argue.

Have a good rest of the day.

3 hours ago, costarg said:

Once again, you're focusing on one word without the context.

Also, I didn't say McGraw was called, I said i'd be concerned if it was the case. 

Seriously, just read it man, not sure why you need to look for a reaction and claim things that aren't written.  I've been an adamant supporter of Marsch from the day of his assignment, I have no idea what you are trying to defend or argue.

Have a good rest of the day.

If you want to imagine up scenarios and then tell everyone on a board you not going to panic about something that hasn't happened.  You have to admit that's at least a little funny.   

I might poke a little fun at it, mate. Nothing more, nothing less.

@costarg I am sure you have nothing to worry about my friend. This isn't club football. There are a finite number of American dual-nations good enough for Canada, but not good enough for the USMNT. There is no way we are going to see a scenario where 4 or 5 guys on the field are Americans, and besides, if they are on the field for us they are actually Canadians anyway.

Just take McGraw and the Stroud brothers. For all 3 to be on the field at once, you are probably looking at some kind of B camp. Your worry seems to be that Marsch will elevate their status in the team by virtue of being fellow Americans, but is there a world where all 3 legitimately win their positional battles to earn a starting spot?

And what about depth spots, if we want to drop the bar lower. Is there a chance McGraw beats out Waterman let's say for a spot on the bench? Sure, it could happen. Would it be down to American bias? Depends on what both men are doing at their clubs, but there is a fine line between vigilantly watching Marsch for bias and just being paranoid. I am not calling you paranoid, but I just want to get that out now because I can see arguments being made by you or whomever that McGraw was picked ahead of Waterman and it's down to bias. And honestly, not saying that could never happen either, but I am saying if and when it does, we should remember the fine line I speak of.

McGraw and Waterman is just an example, it could be MacNaughton and Waterman, or Stroud versus Schaffleburg, or younger Stroud versus JMR, etc. These are just examples.

We also don't know for sure the Stroud brothers will be involved, so as it stands there are just two dual national American-Canadians in the pool, right?

17 hours ago, ahmedou said:

Coach Jesse: ''I think we’ll find a way to inspire enough dual nationals that this is the right place for them! Not just looking forward into 2026, but beyond! The future of the Canadian national team is going to continue to grow!”

🤩

All of the exclamation points in these quotes make it read like Marsch is giving some communist party speech. 

Join Canada Soccer comrades! You have nothing to lose but your chains!

3 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

It's time for the CMNT players to sieze the means of production from CSB. From each according to his abilities to each according to his need to never have to work again after his soccer career is over.

Are exclamation points a communist thing though?

I’ve always found that a lot of communist slogans, quotes, tweets, etc., are very liberal with their use of exclamation points, mostly with the university age contingent. Nothing serious, just something I’ve noticed along the years. 

13 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

All of the exclamation points in these quotes make it read like Marsch is giving some communist party speech. 

It's me who put ! on his citations! Because the !'s are sexy to write on sentences!

In Coach Jesse We Trust!

4 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

^^^actually appears to have taken the post seriously. Let's all chill out and sing along with the Livorno and Empoli supporters:

I deleted the original after properly catching up on the thread.

Bella Ciao is a great song

13 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Idno man...This sounds very American Revolution to me...😋