Jesse Marsch: CanMNT manager

51 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Actually, there are two sure-fire ways to score on PKs. Get the ball in the top right or left corners. No keeper can stop those. The problem is you can run into the snag that Millar ran into. The excitement of the situation gets to you and you kick it over the top bar. It happened to Messi, del Piero and many other greats.

Right so it's not actually surefire...

I agree if you had a player who had no nerves and could blast it into the top corner everytime without ever missing but that player doesn't actually exist.

23 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

It makes it very easy if you get the keeper to move in the hesitation but I agree it adds a new element that can go wrong.

Paqueta, who was subbed off before the penalties is perfect doing stuff like that for my club and for Brazil. (6/6).  Though I do see he missed one for Lyon.

He also missed one vs Paraguay in the group stage. 

Just now, narduch said:

I guess. It's also insane they let this drag on. 

Like they have the evidence or not?

Yeah I don't know why it is taking so long.  I would guess it is like the "real" legal system, you have to give time to gather evidence on both sides.

Feels damning if there is a pattern of new people betting for those specifics moments but I try not to judge this just like more serious crimes in "real" life. I don't have close to all the facts.

Posted (edited)

Just finished reading 'Net Gains' (a generally thoughtful book about soccer analytics) and there is a decent portion on how set pieces are the biggest differentiator in international soccer and then another portion on how Marsch has historically been at the forefront of set piece evolution.  Which seems to be a good combination.  Hopefully that can come a bit more to the forefront over the next week.

There was also a part about Marsch's insistence that its better to go up 2-0 than play for 1-0 and needless to say we saw that on Friday as well...

Edited by theaub

On 7/8/2024 at 12:22 PM, theaub said:

Just finished reading 'Net Gains' (a generally thoughtful book about soccer analytics) and there is a decent portion on how set pieces are the biggest differentiator in international soccer and then another portion on how Marsch has historically been at the forefront of set piece evolution.  Which seems to be a good combination.  Hopefully that can come a bit more to the forefront over the next week.

Did it mention anything about not letting Davies take your set pieces anymore?

12 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Did it mention anything about not letting Davies take your set pieces anymore?

I don't know if you've been watching, but Eustaquio's set pieces have been just as bad. Osorio had one or two decent ones, but he's not even in the starting eleven if I'm making the lineups. I don't see any other obvious choices.

Just now, jonovision said:

I don't know if you've been watching, but Eustaquio's set pieces have been just as bad. Osorio had one or two decent ones, but he's not even in the starting eleven if I'm making the lineups. I don't see any other obvious choices.

Yeah, I had noticed that Eustaquio had started taking more and they weren't much better.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, jonovision said:

The only other option would be Choinière. He takes set pieces for his club. 

But for whatever reason Marsch doesn't rate him enough to play at all.

Edited by narduch

3 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Are you a member of Anthony's family?

(CONTEXT: Anthony is a poster whose every post in the Venezuela-Canada thread was a lash-out at Oso.)

2 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Are you a member of Anthony's family?

(CONTEXT: Anthony is a poster whose every post in the Venezuela-Canada thread was a lash-out at Oso.)

Haha, I'm well aware of that 🤡. I liked Osorio's game vs Chile, not so much vs Venezuela.

Regarding set pieces, it's one of things like Canada's supposed poor finishing in this tournament, where it only takes one moment to change the narrative. I didn't watch the whole game, but in the first half of France-Spain, nearly every set piece was hit about 10 yards too far or 5 feet too high. It happens.

On 7/6/2024 at 10:34 AM, Joe MacCarthy said:

That's not a fair comparison.  That was not said for public consumption but was caught on a hot mic.  Herdman was then asked about it.  What was he supposed to do, back down from it and send a message to his players "yeah we're really not good enough to beat these guys"  His old Canada new Canada philosophy wouldn't allow it.

While I'm here, I'll say it when everything is going great and people won't think it's sour grapes when things aren't.  I am detecting something in Jesse's personality (not sure what it is yet) but I think everyone will want to move on from him rather than the opposite after 2026.  I don't seem him being long for the program.  This isn't a great example but a Mike Keenan type who can have success for a year or two and then people want him outta there.  I can't come up with the right word but I think his tenure won't age well and he'll lose the players.  I know that happens to every coach but unlike Herdman who lasted for years I see Jesse going only a few.

Just my opinion and one of my feelings like Herdman and Corbeanu.

I don't take issue with him saying it to the troops in a huddle, Him repeating it to the media after was a Cardinal Sin! He absolutely should be blamed for repeating it.