Jesse Marsch: CanMNT manager

9 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

It could be both.

The ref could have forgot VAR in the split second after years without it and bottled making a call.  Which would be poor officiating and Marsch would  be right. 

Or the ref could remember VAR, Jesse be wrong and the call is still wrong. 

I mean I just think it was poor officiating, and not much beyond that.

55 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

He seems more likeable, more straightforward than Herdman.  The SHaff sub paid dividends, but I am not sold on the super high line.  All those breakaways turned my hair white. 

I've never played CB at a level high enough to have linesmen, much less to know how and when to step forward, but isn't some of this a combination of top forwards against inexperienced CBs still learning? If you had told me a year ago that Bombito and Cornelius would be playing this high line against this opposition I would have guessed at least 10+ goals over 3 matches. It will be interesting to see this against Peru.

6 hours ago, Watchmen said:

"Scared because it was a penalty" is either poor officiating or wrong by Marsch. VAR was going to check it, so if it's a penalty it's flagged even if he doesn't call it initially. As it is, he missed a foul outside the box, which is still poor.

Neither he nor his linesman called it, and they were in verbal contact. Because they were afraid it was a penalty. It was a very cowardly reffing move from the two Venezuelans. 

On 6/21/2024 at 11:35 AM, InglewoodJack said:

Can’t complain about our slate of opponents, but I’d love to see Marschball against some of those concacaf minnows. We play like this against St. Vincent and we’re up by double digits. 

We can also mention Argentina playing with 5 at the back with a 1 goal lead and SHAFFSTER giving them all kinds of headaches and scares.  Ref assistance on a very possible missed penalty call.

They were not comfortable with their 1 goal lead vs Canada.  That says a lot.  Match was well coached, strategy worked and the changes were effective.  

6 minutes ago, costarg said:

We can also mention Argentina playing with 5 at the back with a 1 goal lead and SHAFFSTER giving them all kinds of headaches and scares.  Ref assistance on a very possible missed penalty call.

They were not comfortable with their 1 goal lead vs Canada.  That says a lot.  Match was well coached, strategy worked and the changes were effective.  

That was a take away for me. This was Argentina to the max - they were in the game and didn’t hold back. We need to take pride in this but still understand that it means absolutely nothing if we can’t build on it. 

On 6/21/2024 at 9:36 AM, youllneverwalkalone said:

I've never played CB at a level high enough to have linesmen, much less to know how and when to step forward, but isn't some of this a combination of top forwards against inexperienced CBs still learning? If you had told me a year ago that Bombito and Cornelius would be playing this high line against this opposition I would have guessed at least 10+ goals over 3 matches. It will be interesting to see this against Peru.

On a different night they are scoring several goals against us.  Our keeper made some big saves and was our POTM here.  On the other hand, the off the ball runs by the Argentines, either off the shoulder or late into the box by the likes of the excellent Mac Alister, were a masterclass that I don't think we will see with the same precision from our next two opponents.

I thought our defending on those Messi inswinging free kick chips into the box was really dodgy.  The former Man City defender got on to two of them and will be disappointed not to have done better with his chances.

The thing that we have to live with for now with this pairing is that neither is a bell cow/quarterback of the defence type, though I thought Cornelius showed leadership potential in the Olympic qualies awhile back.  Sometimes that leadership voice alleviates positional problems. However. I am still all in on this pairing and barring injury or suspension, they should start the remaining group games because the continued familiarity growth will help.

Edited by BearcatSA

33 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

On a different night they are scoring several goals against us.  Our keeper made some big saves and was our POTM here.  On the other hand, the off the ball runs by the Argentines, either off the shoulder or late into the box by the likes of the excellent Mac Alister, were a masterclass that I don't think we will see with the same precision from our next two opponents.

I thought our defending on those Messi inswinging free kick chips into the box was really dodgy.  The former Man City defender got on to two of them and will be disappointed not to have done better with his chances.

The thing that we have to live with for now with this pairing is that neither is a bell cow/quarterback of the defence type, though I thought Cornelius showed leadership potential in the Olympic qualies awhile back.  Sometimes that leadership voice alleviates positional problems. However. I am still all in on this pairing and barring injury or suspension, they should start the remaining group games because the continued familiarity growth will help.

Are you just suggesting that neither have demonstrated sufficient leadership, or is it something more specific to distribution or organizing the back line. I'm not familiar with how these terms apply in this regard

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Are you just suggesting that neither have demonstrated sufficient leadership, or is it something more specific to distribution or organizing the back line. I'm not familiar with how these terms apply in this regard

They just don't seem on the same page to me quite yet, Bombito seeming to stay back a bit more when his partner is moving up on trapping situations.  I think it will come and that was a big time acid test vs the champs.  I felt that they were very good with that against France but that was a different attacking dynamic compared to the opponent Thursday night.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

I have to admit that I was surprised to see Buchanan dropped for this one but Marsch clearly felt he needed a tweak by going with Laryea for the start and over half the game.

I suspect another tactical personnel tweak for Saturday.

It's weird that Bair hasn't seen the pitch in 4 games so far, right? I'm not wrong in thinking this? It's not a complaint about the subs that have been made, just that i would have thought we would have seen him by now. Not calling for us to start him either, just...no appearances? Really?

2 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

It's weird that Bair hasn't seen the pitch in 4 games so far, right? I'm not wrong in thinking this? It's not a complaint about the subs that have been made, just that i would have thought we would have seen him by now. Not calling for us to start him either, just...no appearances? Really?

Could say that about any of the players who haven't seen the pitch. I don't think Bair is any more deserving than any of the others who haven't featured.

3 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Maybe he hasn’t impressed in training and isn’t ready. That or from a tactical standpoint, doesn’t fit in Marschs philosophy. OR, could be too early to tell.

Personally, I think what he did in Scotland was very impressive but he needs to play a level higher. 

1 minute ago, cronaldo7 said:

Maybe he hasn’t impressed in training and isn’t ready. That or from a tactical standpoint, doesn’t fit in Marschs philosophy. OR, could be too early to tell.

Personally, I think what he did in Scotland was very impressive but he needs to play a level higher. 

Maybe it's just a matter of the right opportunity for Bair. I was a little surprised they went with Tani last night in the final minutes. With how Bair has improved his hold up play, you'd think that would have been the better option, but Tani has a reputatation for goals off the bench with Minnesota and another goal would have killed off the game. 

Tani is now officially cap tied.

I would love to now see Bair get a chance if the scenario is like this on Saturday, Canada leading late up 1 goal....

Well, he has gotten Brym, JRR and Tani all into games since taking over.  Bair is the only striker not to see action..if he had come in yesterday we would all be asking why hasnt Tani gotten any minutes??  All in due time and in the order the new coach wants eh?  Getting Tani cap tied was important and with his speed I thought he would punish Peru when the game got frantic at the end.  

13 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Well, he has gotten Brym, JRR and Tani all into games since taking over.  Bair is the only striker not to see action..if he had come in yesterday we would all be asking why hasnt Tani gotten any minutes??  All in due time and in the order the new coach wants eh?  Getting Tani cap tied was important and with his speed I thought he would punish Peru when the game got frantic at the end.  

To be clear, I'm glad we got to see all of those players as well. As someone who lived through Begovic debacle (f*** you still Dale Mitchell), I'm certainly glad we've got Tani cap tied. It's more a matter of thinking that Bair is the highest goalscorer out of that group and he's the only one we haven't seen, which I find odd.

4 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I think he’s been unlucky. We have had to go with our best squad, or close to, in 4 matches now. If we had friendlies against Finland and Hungary he would have played. 

This is a great experience for him regardless and obviously he’s rated if he’s here. A move to a higher level and he’ll be ready to meaningfully contribute in the fall.