Jesse Marsch: CanMNT manager

His recent record is not good. But, hopefully he has learned lessons.

Also a bit concerned he has never managed a national team.

But, all told, I'm all for giving Marsch a shot and support. Nice to have some stability now! 👍

7 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

Part of me is fine with Marsch as manager but the donations from the MLS owners feel very, very bad to me. Feels like preference will be shifted over to their players for future roster builds, but perhaps my tea leaves are suggesting something that isn't there.

kerfoot's been a huge CSA donor/financial supporter for years, not surprised things went down this route

Glad they took my advice. Not on who to select, but on getting this done this week. 😉

I am open-minded about this appointment, will take a wait-and-see approach, but I am glad that they are not simply sticking with Biello as a head coach. I don't mind if Mauro, Stalteri, etc. stay on as assistants, mind you.

Marsch was recently on a podcast with Jimmy Conrad & Charlie Davies talking about how optimistic he was about Canada's chances at the Copa, which may be worth a re-watch given this news. I will see if I can find it on youtube when I have a moment

15 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

Part of me is fine with Marsch as manager but the donations from the MLS owners feel very, very bad to me. Feels like preference will be shifted over to their players for future roster builds, but perhaps my tea leaves are suggesting something that isn't there.

WTF you mean shifted?   😂

could go either way...has had some success at club level and coached at very high levels but no national team head coaching experience...lets see how he does at copa america...interesting way to raise money by blue

2 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

What does MLS teams chipping in to pay the national team coach have to do with the CSB?

If anything, people who disliked the CSB deal should also be opposed to the new sponsorship.   Having any sort of strings-attached relationship to the league seems a bit off - but at least with CSB we were getting a full domestic league in the trade off.  

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, reggietfc said:

its MARSCH

Can @JamboAl, @jordan or @Atlantic edit the spelling of his name in the title?

17 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

That’s amazing from the 3 MLS clubs. 

18 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

...but the donations from the MLS owners feel very, very bad to me. 

The Canadian MLS clubs after Kevin Blue gets us a ton of money and we try and call up guys playing in MLS for Camp Poutine outside the FIFA window:

Stan Marsh No GIF by South Park

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

• jordan changed the title to Jesse Marsch: CanMNT manager
5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

If anything, people who disliked the CSB deal should also be opposed to the new sponsorship.   Having any sort of strings-attached relationship to the league seems a bit off - but at least with CSB we were getting a full domestic league in the trade off.  

Exactly. It’s almost like a power buy-back for MLS as before CSB they were the big dogs. Hopefully doesn’t affect us from a competitive standpoint. Watch the u20 team in June have no CPL players. 

7 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Exactly. It’s almost like a power buy-back for MLS as before CSB they were the big dogs. Hopefully doesn’t affect us from a competitive standpoint. Watch the u20 team in June have no CPL players. 

On the plus side, when we lose out on a dual-national we'll get allocation money.

Posted (edited)

I'll give the CSA the benefit of the doubt and that they weighed all their options and made the best decisions for our national team. To me it just feels like MLS teams and by extention the MLS buying influence. Based on the profile of the coach maybe the deal was dependent on who the CSA hired as coach. I'm good with it all, whatever it takes but that's just my read of the situation 

Edited by SpursFlu

14 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don't like some of the specifics in the CSB deal, even if I am grudgingly accepting of the overall concept, because I think we could have gotten a better deal had the CSA been better at its job during negociations. I am tentatively ok with the MLS sponsorship, even if its arguably pretty sad it had to happen to pay him, because for all the talks of strings attached there is no evidence of that.

I'd argue that good old Occam's Razor would indicate that there is in fact no such strings and that the MLS clubs made that decision because a) They realise that the national programs doing well is the best way to boost interest in Canadian Soccer, which would obviously be good for them and b) At least Saputo and the Whitecaps ownership group genuinely do care about Canadian Soccer and want it grow.

I would also further argue that if there is indeed ulterior motive here its far more likely that they have heard some of the ''why aren't you playing in CPL?'' noise that is in the background and that they are aware that their situation is indeed exceptional at the world level so it couldn't hurt to show in a very big and public way their support for Canadian soccer as a whole.

Now that he’s ours and it’s time to be biased in his favour, Herdman took us far with zero experience, JM’s experience is comparatively very impressive. He’s coached at a higher level than most of our players play at, he’s managed deficient squads like Leeds and very rich squads like Leipzig. Apparently he was interested in the Canada job pre-Herdman, so I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt that he wants this job because he believes in it, not because it was available. Started his career in Montreal, comes back to Canada for his most illustrious chapter yet. I’m into it.