Jesse Marsch: CanMNT manager

8 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

More information (maybe? It's tought to keep up).

Donations from the 3 MLS teams (though technically Saputo is making it through his charitable foundation) total $1.5m.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5496571/2024/05/15/jesse-marsch-canada-mls?source=user-shared-article

That's basically $250k per year per MLS team. (Its essentially a 2-year contractor if it ends after the 2026 World Cup).

Although I read somewhere else (maybe) that Kerfoot is actually paying the bulk of it.

6 hours ago, toontownman said:

Come on guys. Give him a break. We know he is contractually obligated to mention MLS once every 93 seconds of any interview.

Optics (TO MY MIND) aside, I'm struggling to find a MNT manager who's resume reads better.

Just going to write out loud what we all know, it isn't just the hire it's the supporting budget.  

Fair enough, Blue & Co. were/are sly in making this hire happen (FOR WHATEVER NEFARIOUS REASONS) with the financial support of the MLS franchises and our Mr Young but that really is the easy part of it all isn't it?

The away friendlies against Holland & France suggests bigger picture improvements, we're going to come out of those fixtures with money in the bank, but what's next?

Returning to the MLS owners with some tax scheme to finance the MNT in the future seems a fools errand.  Regardless of their "common"  interests.  But unless their are other programs in the works we are going to have to make due with our current dire situation. 

Disclaimer;  To be clear, the nuts and bolts of why certain parties bankrolled this hire and the circumstances around it in no way diminishess their very real contribution to the betterment of the NT programs in this country, as they've seen fit.  Bravo.  My grievences with this scheme may, or may not, lay elsewhere (looking at you CSA).

Posted (edited)

Still a little confused about the narrative that MLS is going to be getting kickbacks on this deal. In what way would that even manifest? The Footy Prime guys are suggesting it, people on this forum have suggested it, but what does that even mean in real terms? The only thing I could possibly imagine is that the manager picks an MLS-heavy squad, but if that is at the expense of picking the best possible squad, how would it benefit MLS to pick a weaker team and get poor results? There's not a single scenario where anyone in the Canada Soccer/MLS picture benefits from not selecting the best possible team to get the best possible results. So I just really don't understand what people are referring to when they suggest that MLS will be getting some sort of kickbacks through this philanthropic arrangement. I'd be open to hearing what I'm possibly missing on this though.

Edited by frmr

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

some thumbnail that is

Tbh I've never listened to Footy Prime and by the end of listening to that it seemed like a pretty fair take, but initially the tone was pretty condescending and to me kind of came across a bit as sour grapes. It's not lost on me that the thumbnail is for comedic effect, but it's kind of in line with the whole tone of the podcast. This is purely my own subjective take but it almost seems like Brennan and Forrest come across as the nice guys who just got ditched by the hot girl for the jock with the sports car. I treat their takes the same as anyone on this forum, that at this point in time there's absolutely no reason to be cynical of this hire, and any negativity on it at this point says more about the person in question than it does the hire itself. Even the bit about Forrest not liking that he's American, who fucking cares. You hire based on merit, not nationality. I've got no time for inferiority complex bullshit and thankfully it seems neither does Kevin Blue, who at this point in time seems like a shrewd operator who gets shit done.

Edited by frmr

8 minutes ago, frmr said:

I've got no time for inferiority complex bullshit and thankfully it seems neither does Kevin Blue, who at this point in time seems like a shrewd operator who gets shit done.

I wouldn't call it inferiority complex bullshit.  When you hire someone to lead you from the primary place that you're striving to beat to me sends a bad message.  To me it says you're still better than us and we have to take from you and not our own.

And then you get all the US talk about it being like a Las Vegas pre fight weigh in when the two American coaches get together.  I don't want to be involved in a US soap opera.

I still take issue that Marsch may have been given the job and that it wasn't a legitimate competition.  What happened to Kranz?

I'm not going to be one of those guys who keeps going on about it even when we're playing games like some did with Herdman but some things need to be said now and dealt with before we get going.

Even though their show is kinda crap, I still think Forrest and Brennan have a right to be a little miffed at not even being called, especially Forrest who has had such a high profile and involvement for so long.

And so I don't keep blathering on about it, is the guy at the bottom left the producer for the show or is he there for absolutely no reason, he never says anything.  And why don't they have their real names on the screen.  How are new people supposed to know who the hell they are, they don't even introduce themselves.  These pet names they give each other are so lame, almost as bad as the self made catchphrase oh Canada oh baby.

2 hours ago, frmr said:

Still a little confused about the narrative that MLS is going to be getting kickbacks on this deal. In what way would that even manifest? The Footy Prime guys are suggesting it, people on this forum have suggested it, but what does that even mean in real terms? The only thing I could possibly imagine is that the manager picks an MLS-heavy squad, but if that is at the expense of picking the best possible squad, how would it benefit MLS to pick a weaker team and get poor results? There's not a single scenario where anyone in the Canada Soccer/MLS picture benefits from not selecting the best possible team to get the best possible results. So I just really don't understand what people are referring to when they suggest that MLS will be getting some sort of kickbacks through this philanthropic arrangement. I'd be open to hearing what I'm possibly missing on this though.

As I posted, not kickbacks, and certainly no conditions on player selections. 

I also observed a few days ago that you could imagine friendlies in the respective cities, but neither Saputo nor Whitecaps have a share in their stadiums, so unless they were brokering the friendlies and getting a commission, nothing is going back to them that way. Arguably, MLSE was already benefitting from matches in Toronto, so that would not be a change. 

The only other key factor would be sanctioning MLS teams in Canada, and some features of MLS rules, where the CSA would not push on reciprocity for Canadians in MLS. Which would be odd, benefit the national team in exchange for hurting the development of the national team. 

I think you are right, this is more a contribution, with likely tax benefits, that has to do with being part of the national soccer landscape. It also relativizes the role of CSB as a source of income for CSA.

We have such a cynical media landscape here in Canada.   These same media guys often point out and complain about the negativity within football in our country but after Jesse’s hiring guys like Wheeler focus mostly on the potential negatives.   There’s no chance Jesse is going to be influenced on his squad selection.   It’s disrespectful to him to even insinuate such a thing.

6 hours ago, frmr said:

I would add, why would Marsch want a weaker MLS-heavy side? ( I guess unless you are fully into tinfoil hat territory.) 

Speculation but based on evidence- His goal is not to get back to MLS. And if it was, he could of had that anytime in the last year.

Straight money? - Again in the long run (or even medium run) there is more at a good job in Europe.

People need to think why he would take this position and a lot of these conspiracies (honestly not much else to call them) look really silly.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I wouldn't call it inferiority complex bullshit.  When you hire someone to lead you from the primary place that you're striving to beat to me sends a bad message.  To me it says you're still better than us and we have to take from you and not our own.

And then you get all the US talk about it being like a Las Vegas pre fight weigh in when the two American coaches get together.  I don't want to be involved in a US soap opera.

I still take issue that Marsch may have been given the job and that it wasn't a legitimate competition.  What happened to Kranz?

I'm not going to be one of those guys who keeps going on about it even when we're playing games like some did with Herdman but some things need to be said now and dealt with before we get going.

Even though their show is kinda crap, I still think Forrest and Brennan have a right to be a little miffed at not even being called, especially Forrest who has had such a high profile and involvement for so long.

And so I don't keep blathering on about it, is the guy at the bottom left the producer for the show or is he there for absolutely no reason, he never says anything.  And why don't they have their real names on the screen.  How are new people supposed to know who the hell they are, they don't even introduce themselves.  These pet names they give each other are so lame, almost as bad as the self made catchphrase oh Canada oh baby.

I appreciate a lot of your points about the podcast but there is some inferiority part and parcel of this.

Federations hire other coaches from other nations, even rivals, all the time and for a while.

England, a FA who I know/knew better even than ours at some points - you can't not living there and following football- hired an Italian years ago.  One of the primary countries they have needed to beat at the business end of their big tournaments.

I would add unless that unless I get some insider information, the process looked like we sounded out a bunch of ambitious hires early, got interest from one, and then spent a few weeks making sure/lining up backups/trying to get someone to change our minds/making the money work - ie. doing due diligence.

Happy to learn details that are different.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

7 hours ago, frmr said:

Even the bit about Forrest not liking that he's American, who fucking cares. You hire based on merit, not nationality. I've got no time for inferiority complex bullshit and thankfully it seems neither does Kevin Blue, who at this point in time seems like a shrewd operator who gets shit done.

Culture does matter, and the long-term goal of national programs ought to be generating Canadian talent in all aspects of the game, not just players, so I wouldn't say merit is all that matters in this context. Even at a club level (in any sport) you sometimes have to ask as a fan, "Why do I support this team if it's simply a bunch of foreign mercenaries, with (often) a foreign owner who doesn't give a shit about this place?" Sport isn't just an optimization problem, it's a controlled, healthier expression of our tribal tendencies. Completely take that away and most people will start wondering what the point is. Though recently, betting seems to be the answer to that issue. 

However, when the domestic talent pool is as thin as ours, you might be actually be working against the long-term goal to insist on a domestic option. Culture-wise, if he hadn't coached in Montreal, and was from the southern US I'd be much more leery. I don't think a Wisconsin native is too much of a risk that way.

Posted (edited)

Forrest and Brennan cranking over not being consulted is like that coworker being sour about not being invited out for after work drinks years after they've left for another job.

Respect for their achievements - primarily Forrest - but they're in a different role. In a different time. Time to move on.

Edited by The Real Marc

4 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

Forrest and Brennan cranking over not being consulted is like that coworker being sour about not being invited out for after work drinks years after they've left for another job.

Respect for their achievements - primarily Forrest - but they're in a different role. In a different time. Time to move on.

I find those guys on that podcast to be a bit bitter and whiney , No matter what descion was made I am sure they would find something negative either way . I agree time to move on

25 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

I agree that Forrest, and maybe even Brennan, could have been part of the interview team.  But the fact that Friend, Ricketts, Simpson, JDG and Atiba were part of the interview process sits well with me.

5 minutes ago, Ivan said:

I agree that Forrest, and maybe even Brennan, could have been part of the interview team.  But the fact that Friend, Ricketts, Simpson, JDG and Atiba were part of the interview process sits well with me.

Ricketts and Atiba have very limited coaching or management experience. It's not clear to me why they should be involved. I don't know much about Simpson and Friend, but I guess they've shown some promise picking coaches at Pacific.

On 5/14/2024 at 7:34 PM, Ansem said:

Like Gomez was saying in his podcast, money from MLS (a single-entity league) is never free.

But what do you think they want out of it? Are these teams that often try to convince national team managers that they shouldn't take some of their players suddenly want the team fully stocked with their players? Or do we think they are contributing this money so that they can outright say no when Choiniere, Osorio, Laryea, or Ahmed get called up? The national team home games have already been defaulting to BMO Field for well over a decade, with Vancouver often getting the leftovers that can't be done in Toronto, so I don't think they are paying for hosting home games either.

It's been mentioned by someone (can't remember who, this thread is massive and I've been trying to get through it for days) but the most likely scenario is that they are contributing this money because they know that growing the domestic game is good for them. A typical Euro Snob fan that gets convinced that the national team is worth supporting will probably be more likely to eventually start supporting their local MLS team as well. So it's in their best interests that Canada put in a good showing at Copa America, the World Cup, and every other competition they go into. It can also signal to the hardcore Canada fans that think MLS is too American that these teams care about the CMNT.

In my opinion, realistically if this MLS money was done for power reasons, the worst it could do is convince Marsch to call up a guy like Deandre Kerr instead of a guy like Charles-Andreas Brym to warm our bench, or maybe to get their academy players a monopoly on the youth teams. Although that is practically already the case, and maybe MLS teams would have to sponsor a position directly associated with the youth teams for that to happen.

18 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Ricketts and Atiba have very limited coaching or management experience. It's not clear to me why they should be involved. I don't know much about Simpson and Friend, but I guess they've shown some promise picking coaches at Pacific.

To be fair to Atiba, he hasn't had a lot of time to coach seeing as how he played until he was 39 years old.  He did play under a fair amount of coaches and managers including many team Canada managers.  Maybe that's what qualified him to give an opinion?