Jesse Marsch: CanMNT manager

11 minutes ago, costarg said:

No they're not, the most talented and successful clubs aren't playing 3 CB's to cover for their weak backline.  For example: When Italy and Belgium were playing their famed back 3 formations, they didn't lineup that way to cover a weakness, they played that way because they had dominant players that could also help dictate the play ahead of them as well.  It was strengthening the 11, not bringing the overall quality of the 11 down.  

?

I think you missed the point. 

It's not best club adding less quality, more defensive players, obviously.  It's the clubs facing them, for instance. 

I was saying the best clubs don't break down their opponent every single game they play, often because those other teams line up with more defensive players.  You see things like that all the time, right?  I do supporting West Ham, for good or bad. And I see it in every league I watch.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5496571/2024/05/15/jesse-marsch-canada-mls/

The Athletic has learned that the total amount donated to Canada Soccer by Canada’s three MLS clubs as part of the major gifts initiative is approximately $1.5 million and will contribute to the entire Canadian soccer ecosystem.

Still, the publicized support of MLS apparent in the job title has ruffled some feathers around the country. In particular, figures at the country’s domestic league (the Canadian Premier League) who also jointly own the federation’s commercial and marketing arm (Canadian Soccer Business), have felt cut out from the process of hiring Marsch. Some question why MLS clubs were brought in to contribute funds when fundraising is the explicit goal of Canadian Soccer Business (CSB). Philanthropy, however, falls outside of the CSB’s deal with Canada Soccer.

5 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Then my starting XI for Copa America would be 3-4-2-1

GK- Crepeau

LB- Adekugbe 

CB- Bombito

RB- Johnston

LM- Davies

CM- Eustaquio (captain)

CM- Kone

RM- Buchanan

LW- Shaffelburg (tournament debut)

RW- Bair (tournament debut)

ST- David

Adekugbe isn't even making the bench right now for the Whitecaps.  I wouldn't be counting on him being healthy for the tournament, let alone starting.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, saladroit said:

...Still, the publicized support of MLS apparent in the job title has ruffled some feathers around the country. In particular, figures at the country’s domestic league (the Canadian Premier League) who also jointly own the federation’s commercial and marketing arm (Canadian Soccer Business), have felt cut out from the process of hiring Marsch...

They probably feel blindsided given this was also in the press release:

https://canada-soccer-pressroom.prezly.com/canada-soccer-announces-jesse-marsch-as-mens-national-team-head-coach

...Former Canadian internationals Tosaint Ricketts, Atiba Hutchinson, and Rob Friend – who also represented the Canadian Premier League during the interview process – participated in candidate interviews that ultimately resulted in the hiring of Marsch. Additional consultation during the search was provided by numerous stakeholders with ties to CANMNT, including Josh Simpson, Valerio Gazzola, Tony Fonseca, and Julian de Guzman...

What happened this week represents a sea change from how the CSA board has viewed and dealt with MLS over the past 15 years since around the time of the moratarium. It was particularly noteworthy that the Ontario representative who was voted in at the AGM, Terri Mattucci, is the senior director of strategy and growth marketing for MLSE.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

They probably feel blindsided given this was also in the press release:

https://canada-soccer-pressroom.prezly.com/canada-soccer-announces-jesse-marsch-as-mens-national-team-head-coach

...Former Canadian internationals Tosaint Ricketts, Atiba Hutchinson, and Rob Friend – who also represented the Canadian Premier League during the interview process – participated in candidate interviews that ultimately resulted in the hiring of Marsch. Additional consultation during the search was provided by numerous stakeholders with ties to CANMNT, including Josh Simpson, Valerio Gazzola, Tony Fonseca, and Julian de Guzman...

What happened this week represents a sea change from how the CSA board has viewed and dealt with MLS over the past 15 years since around the time of the moratarium. It was particularly noteworthy that the Ontario representative who was voted in at the AGM, Terri Mattucci, is the senior director of strategy and growth marketing for MLSE.

If they were candidates for our managerial position then that is definitely surprising especially Atiba but I'm glad they hired Marsch

6 hours ago, saladroit said:

"The Athletic has learned that the total amount donated to Canada Soccer by Canada’s three MLS clubs as part of the major gifts initiative is approximately $1.5 million and will contribute to the entire Canadian soccer ecosystem." 

Ok, so I wildly and without any information predicted earlier that the Canadian MLS clubs were putting in around 200,000-250,000 a year each towards this, Canadian.

Over three years, if that is the case, it would be between 1.8 and 2.25 million Canadian, between 1.3 and 1.65 American dollars. 

My view was also that the CSA is still contributing the majority and this "MLS" sponsorship was under 50% of the total cost, which I think is right. Marsch and his staff will make under 2 million Canadian a year for 3 years, then there could be bonuses. So the MLS owner contribution would be about a third of the total. This is only guessing.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

"The Athletic has learned that the total amount donated to Canada Soccer by Canada’s three MLS clubs as part of the major gifts initiative is approximately $1.5 million and will contribute to the entire Canadian soccer ecosystem." 

Ok, so I wildly and without any information predicted earlier that the Canadian MLS clubs were putting in around 200,000-250,000 a year each towards this, Canadian.

Over three years, if that is the case, it would be between 1.8 and 2.25 million Canadian, between 1.3 and 1.65 American dollars. 

My view was also that the CSA is still contributing the majority and this "MLS" sponsorship was under 50% of the total cost, which I think is right. Marsch and his staff will make under 2 million Canadian a year for 3 years, then there could be bonuses. So the MLS owner contribution would be about a third of the total. This is only guessing.

I guess we will be waiting for Rick Westhead to jump in with his 2 cents worth.

9 hours ago, saladroit said:

figures at the country’s domestic league (the Canadian Premier League) who also jointly own the federation’s commercial and marketing arm (Canadian Soccer Business), have felt cut out from the process of hiring Marsch. Some question why MLS clubs were brought in to contribute funds when fundraising is the explicit goal of Canadian Soccer Business (CSB). Philanthropy, however, falls outside of the CSB’s deal with Canada Soccer.

Do they feel left out from "the process" or left out of cashing in on the influx of cash?  Two very different things.

10 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

?

I think you missed the point. 

It's not best club adding less quality, more defensive players, obviously.  It's the clubs facing them, for instance. 

I was saying the best clubs don't break down their opponent every single game they play, often because those other teams line up with more defensive players.  You see things like that all the time, right?  I do supporting West Ham, for good or bad. And I see it in every league I watch.

Lots of coaches try lots of different strategies, adding a weak CB to the lineup is not guarantee of success nor is it the only solution to playing a strong opponent.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, costarg said:

Lots of coaches try lots of different strategies, adding a weak CB to the lineup is not guarantee of success nor is it the only solution to playing a strong opponent.

So it does happen then. 

You tend make these definitive statements reflecting your opinion and a very narrow view of football sometimes.

Instead the reality is: Center backs are allowed to make underlapping/overlapping runs in some systems, managers use fullbacks as centre backs, you can look to set up defensively sound with 2 strikers. All these things happen in the varied world of football but you try to mock them or "we know" the opposite. 

As you just pointed out, there are instances where is adding a greater quantity of defensive players is prefered, even if the quality (a judgement call, at the end of the day) of a given player is lower.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

41 minutes ago, costarg said:

Do they feel left out from "the process" or left out of cashing in on the influx of cash?  Two very different things.

Considering they had two CPL owners as part of "the process" maybe they're annoyed they couldn't also donate cash.

But not really, though.

17 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Then my starting XI for Copa America would be 3-4-2-1

GK- Crepeau

LB- Adekugbe 

CB- Bombito

RB- Johnston

LM- Davies

CM- Eustaquio (captain)

CM- Kone

RM- Buchanan

LW- Shaffelburg (tournament debut)

RW- Bair (tournament debut)

ST- David

I dont think I have ever seen a formation with only one centerback....

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

He's mentioned the CPL a couple of times now, interestingly, probably the most it has ever been discussed on a CBS Sports Golazo installment. They just lost his connection but are trying to get him back

Whether it's PR or not, mentioned it before the MLS in terms what we are building and the "special" moment we are in.

Doesn't he know who's paying him😉?

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Yeah watching this I don't know how anyone wouldn't be cautiously optimistic about this hire. With all due respect to the members of this forum, I don't think anyone here is smart enough to know if this wouldn't be a good appointment at this point. Just knee-jerk reactions like when Herdman was hired.

Posted (edited)

I feel bad for Conrad here, when I started watching Charlie Davies & Marsch were on the podcast, Davies had to leave and they are trying to reconnect with Marsch, forcing him to ramble on like a stand-up comedian at the moment. Doing a good job under the circumstance

Edit - they just announced they won't be able to get him back.

Edited by Gian-Luca

7 minutes ago, frmr said:

Yeah watching this I don't know how anyone wouldn't be cautiously optimistic about this hire. With all due respect to the members of this forum, I don't think anyone here is smart enough to know if this wouldn't be a good appointment at this point. Just knee-jerk reactions like when Herdman was hired.

This is exactly how I am approaching it. I was a Herdman doubter for sure when he got the job, but he proved me wrong. I'm willing to 'wait and see' with Marsch.