Jesse Marsch: CanMNT manager

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I am only halfway through this and just pasued to say.....how could anyone not love what is coming out or Marsch's mouth here?

Again, repeating about how the talent pool was a selling point for him, and how he waited for a role that inspired him, and how the people off the field were professional and inspired him to take on this job, I mean what's there not to like? Even his difficulties at Leeds are framed as learning opportunties, so while some people have their doubts about his poor record there, those difficulties may have actually been excellent prep for this role, not to mention his career.  

I realize intelligent people will frame their failures as learnings, but that's not a bad or negative thing, that's a mature thing and the right thing you want to hear, because everyone has failures in life....it's about how you learn from them. 

I think anyone would have failed at Leeds. His problem was probably more so that he leaned in to the whole I'm an American thing and it came off as more annoying than endearing to the locals. I think it's tough when you're a manager. When you're winning, all is good, but when you're losing and you're constantly talking like you've read 10 self-help books in the past month.. you start to feel phony 

Edited by SpursFlu

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

I got through this but I'm not sure why. 

I wanted to turn it off 2 minutes in when Brennan was saying Biello has exactly the same portfolio and experience as Marsch and why wouldn't he get the job?

I can imagine why Brennan might want to black out the last 10 years of his own career but come now. That's pretty ridiculous ignorance. Even more annoying no one called him on it and played along. 

It's insane that these people are what we have to listen to in Canada as far as experts. 

There's zero chance Mauro would EVER be considered for a Bundesliga job, let alone a Premier League job. I wouldn't even expect Mauro to get a legitimate shot a Championship level team, maybe even League 1 in England. 

Marsch, like him or not, is so far ahead of Mauro that's hilarious to even mention them in the same category. 

34 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Re players: who will be the winners & losers under Jesse and will he deploy a 4-2-3-1?

My $.02: I didn't know his other teams enough to comment extensively, but at Impact he seemed to favor the highly fit guys over high skill unblock the D with one pass kind of guys.

If I had to take a stab at it, I'd say we might not see much of Hoilett maybe?

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, ECW said:

I hope Blue keeps to international standards in that if this obviously doesn’t work out over the two year contract, he’s gone and the ‘sponsorship’ can be applied to someone else. 

This brings up another concern I have and I suppose the same would apply to whoever was hired under this arraignment, what if Marsch is an abject failure? We are obviously committed to him for the 2 years no matter what, we have some very tough matches coming up, what if we lose all 5, I am not being a doomsayer it could happen! No matter who the coach is that would certainly raise some questions on the hire as well as cause a meltdown on this board!

Edited by gator

26 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I feel like the worse attribute a coach can have is a system he likes to play. I think a manager should coach according to the players he has at his disposal and who they are playing against. Even more so with a national team when you're basically forced to coach what you've got. You can't go around the world signing players who have attributes that suite your style of playing. In other words.. you can't set up Canada to play like Barcelona when they're playing against France. You might be able to when they're playing against Guatemala

I think this is misunderstood.

At Leipzig, he had a handful of good centre backs including Gvardiol and played some 3 at the back sometimes. 

At Salzburg, he had an embarassment of riches at forward and played with 2 of them.

At Leeds, he had Patrick Bamford. 

I joke but he had or brought in wide players and central midfieders and played a 4231. But players moved around a lot in that too.  He would invert his wingers to counter certain threats.

We need a system, something to hold on to, something to get us going from the first whistle, something to channel the talents of some players.  That doesn't always mean playing same formation or the same players even.

3 minutes ago, gator said:

No matter who the coach is that would certainly raise some questions on the hire as well as cause a meltdown on this board!

I hope meltdowns on this board don't actually change anything in a real way.

6 minutes ago, costarg said:

My $.02: I didn't know his other teams enough to comment extensively, but at Impact he seemed to favor the highly fit guys over high skill unblock the D with one pass kind of guys.

If I had to take a stab at it, I'd say we might not see much of Hoilett maybe?

In every interview I have seen from him about loving our player pool, he has mentioned "intelligence" and "athleticism." So who knows. 

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Few points from the video above

- Tosaint Ricketts was part of the hiring team and one of the people he mentioned being impressed by along with Blue.  Nice to hear. 

- Knows that systems will have to come in phases but his phrase I have heard before is that it is his job to "make the complex simple".

- On David and Davies specfically wants to have a system where they enjoy themselves and provide a basis for making themselves even better

- Frustrates him that he can't be on the pitch with the players tomorrow. 

PS.  He's not spending his MLS money on multiple fancy hotel rooms. 

Can't recall where I heard it but Julian de Guzman was in on the interviews in NYC, along with Ricketts and Friend.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Ed_S said:

Can't recall where I heard it but Julian de Guzman was in on the interviews in NYC, along with Ricketts and Friend.

Atiba too (according to Neil Davidson).

That's all I need to know. In Teebs, I trust.

(Although, it's possible Teebs was dead against his hiring, lol)

Edited by PastPros

1 hour ago, Hawkguy said:

It's insane that these people are what we have to listen to in Canada as far as experts. 

There's zero chance Mauro would EVER be considered for a Bundesliga job, let alone a Premier League job. I wouldn't even expect Mauro to get a legitimate shot a Championship level team, maybe even League 1 in England. 

Marsch, like him or not, is so far ahead of Mauro that's hilarious to even mention them in the same category. 

You learn more through failure than you ever do through success.  He's just had more experience at the highest level with the biggest challenges and the most pressure.  Some will point to his record.  Fair enough, but those are probably valuable learning experiences that have likely made him a better coach.  Hopefully we are the benefactors of those experiences. 

1 hour ago, gator said:

This brings up another concern I have and I suppose the same would apply to whoever was hired under this arraignment, what if Marsch is an abject failure? We are obviously committed to him for the 2 years no matter what, we have some very tough matches coming up, what if we lose all 5, I am not being a doomsayer it could happen! No matter who the coach is that would certainly raise some questions on the hire as well as cause a meltdown on this board!

I don't think it would be fair to pin the blame on a new coach if we lose all 5 of our upcoming matches (although I don't doubt it would happen - the blaming bit, or could happen - the losing bit).  This was always going to be a hire through to the end of WC 2026.  Marsch's success or failure will be assessed on what happens at WC.  And that's how it should be.

1 hour ago, gator said:

I don't know, would it? Three of the team's five June matches are presumptive losses to teams in the FIFA top ten. Peru is also way ahead of us. Chile, less so, but not an easy match by any means.

How the team looks matters more than the results here. Expectations for these matches should be low.

7 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Still a bad look.  Always was going to be.  Bit concerning the CSA is caught off guard a bit by that.  

I'm doubtful we'll see the scheme mirrored by any mature soccer nation anytime soon.

What are we doing here?

We just started our own league 5 years ago, so I don't get why some people wanna try and go "apples to apples" to countries where soccer is the number one sport and they've had their own domestic leagues for decades.

23 minutes ago, Colonel Green said:

I don't know, would it? Three of the team's five June matches are presumptive losses to teams in the FIFA top ten. Peru is also way ahead of us. Chile, less so, but not an easy match by any means.

How the team looks matters more than the results here. Expectations for these matches should be low.

Exactly. Or if not low, then appropriate. We need to see the team progress in cohesion/structure, familiarity, purpose, and the other fundamentals Marsch wants to instill and establish in the program. In short, we need to see evidence of reasonably substantial improvement over these five games. Tough task, playing these talented sides, but what an opportunity!

7 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Still a bad look.  Always was going to be.  Bit concerning the CSA is caught off guard a bit by that.  

I'm doubtful we'll see the scheme mirrored by any mature soccer nation anytime soon.

I hear you, but I also question how the optics at all (negatively) impact what we are trying to achieve at this particular point in the evolution of football in this country. We are simply not a mature footballing nation yet. We're going to have to be strategic, focused, and super creative to expedite the maturation process. Cats like you and me are too freakin' old to depend on "brand purity" to elevate this program to a sustained high-ish level. 

5 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I would disagree.

I think that if you put the MLS name on it, (which I don't love for other reasons,) you invite a lot of critical and even legal scrutiny.

I think that's one difference between a "chair" and the backers you talk about. A lot of the backer stuff has been done over the years on the (to be generous) semi-legal sly.  The whole point of a chair and this name is to be brightly visibile, that also puts it under microscope for those that want to find fault.  Really silly to start trying stuff like that when your name is the first thing in the title. 

Jim Harbaugh's official job title while at Michigan:  J. IRA AND NICKI HARRIS FAMILY HEAD FOOTBALL COACH

It's "a thing".

Perhaps it's new to some people, but it's certainly not worth all the pearl-clutching we got going on. 

9 minutes ago, Acid-Tone said:

Jim Harbaugh's official job title while at Michigan:  J. IRA AND NICKI HARRIS FAMILY HEAD FOOTBALL COACH

It's "a thing".

Perhaps it's new to some people, but it's certainly not worth all the pearl-clutching we got going on. 

I agree.  This is just PTSD for people.

The CSA and the sport have been so poorly managed and corrupted by predominantly non football people that when ever something is announced or done people think the worst. I don't blame them.

But so far, the Blue regime has not had a misstep. That's impressive. 

13 minutes ago, Acid-Tone said:

It's "a thing".

I think you are missing the point here.

I won't speak for others, but the thing that bothers me is not the named job title.  I'm completely fine with innovative revenue streams -  the <insert name here> head coach is fine.  Blue should be congratulated for that.  However, what does bother me is that it is the MLS branded head coach for the CMNT.  MLS - the league sanctioned by the USSF is sponsoring and has naming rights to OUR head coach.  The league that represents the Federation of our direct rivals! That's a problem for me. 

4 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I thought it was Forrest who said it, but yeah. "They both have the same experience. They both managed in MLS. So why not Biello?" Just totally ignoring Marsch going off to Austria/Germany/England.

My apologies, you are likely right, I was listening not watching. 

I didn't really get the "would Herdman have stayed if he had he been paid better" discussion. Most likely Marsch is getting more but isn't it common knowledge Herdman was very well paid, especially in comparison to all the last WC managers? His team extra asks on top of that made him pretty expensive? Maybe that was just OS narrative and spin when he took the TFC job? 

The whole podcast is a mess. But they are having fun and people are tuning in I guess.

9 minutes ago, kacbru said:

I won't speak for others, but the thing that bothers me is not the named job title.  I'm completely fine with innovative revenue streams -  the <insert name here> head coach is fine.  Blue should be congratulated for that.  However, what does bother me is that it is the MLS branded head coach for the CMNT.  MLS - the league sanctioned by the USSF is sponsoring and has naming rights to OUR head coach.  The league that represents the Federation of our direct rivals! That's a problem for me. 

While this has caused a bit of controversy, can you imagine the reaction if CSB had paid for it?

One of the things I did agree with and like in the footy prime podcast was the discussion around this. It's one thing to pay for it bit to go through with the MLS tagline is pompous. It's business though and you don't get money for nothing.

Also opens the door for other businesses to step up if they don't like it. What about the women's coach or other areas under the CSA umbrella. It's a bit grating but it's smart from Blue. It's like stadium naming rights. The fans aren't going to call it by It's new name. They will hopefully benefit from it though.

12 minutes ago, kacbru said:

I think you're getting hung up on semantics.

Marsch's hire was facilitated by "major philanthropic contributions" from the owners of the three Canadian-based MLS clubs — Vancouver Whitecaps, Joey Saputo and Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment.

They rightly assumed that naming the position the "Vancouver Whitecaps, Joey Saputo and Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Canada Men's National Team Head Coach" would be a bit much.

So they shortened that to: MLS Canada Men's National Team Head Coach   [shrug]

Personally, if he has us play some combination of high press at times to force turnovers and goal chances and low block at other times where we counter; that suits our players the best.  I personally feel that under Herdman we tried to possess the football too much especially against the likes of teams like Croatia who just killed us.  We don’t have the players to play possession football.  Our speed and athleticism is our strong point as well as we have a number of players like David, Eustaquio, Choiniere who have great engines.  We will beat teams in Copa by using our speed on the counter or turning the ball over on the press; and the rest of the time absorbing pressure.  It does help if we have Bombito and Cornelius at the back so teams can’t just play the ball over the top as they could with Miller and Vitoria back there.

5 minutes ago, Acid-Tone said:

I think you're getting hung up on semantics.

Marsch's hire was facilitated by "major philanthropic contributions" from the owners of the three Canadian-based MLS clubs — Vancouver Whitecaps, Joey Saputo and Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment.

They rightly assumed that naming the position the "Vancouver Whitecaps, Joey Saputo and Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Canada Men's National Team Head Coach" would be a bit much.

So they shortened that to: MLS Canada Men's National Team Head Coach   [shrug]

Like Gomez was saying in his podcast, money from MLS (a single-entity league) is never free.