Jesse Marsch: CanMNT manager

22 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Jesus, I'm ashamed of how wrong I was about Jesse. He's one dedicated person.

He seems just as intelligent, dedicated, and maticulous as John Herdman, but with genuine top-flight European experience, coaching games in the EPL, Bundesliga, and Champions League, not to mention a few trophies with RB Salzburg. 

And now he's taken a Canadian side, that had to go through the back door to qualify, to a final-four Copa America finish. 

Edited by Obinna

21 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Jesus, I'm ashamed of how wrong I was about Jesse. He's one dedicated person.

Don't be, we all have opinions.  Jesse has been very polarizing everywhere he's gone, it's hard to know what you're gonna get.  Even with the great start, things can easily go off the rails with his type of strong personality.

14 hours ago, Obinna said:

He seems just as intelligent, dedicated, and maticulous as John Herdman, but with genuine top-flight European experience, coaching games in the EPL, Bundesliga, and Champions League, not to mention a few trophies with RB Salzburg. 

And now he's taken a Canadian side, that had to go through the back door to qualify, to a final-four Copa America finish. 

When Herdman was here I was his biggest fan, but Marsch completely outlaps Herdman in some aspects. I never once saw Herdman go out to watch these types of games.

Even when I was "against" hiring Marsch, I did credit him with an eye for talent. And he proved it with Bombito, Shaffelburg and Cornelius.  Cornelius was with the national team during Herdman's tenure and John never saw what he had in this kid.

Anyway, I don't want to run down Herdman. I want to say that Marsch brings talents to this national team that we have never seen before. And it wouldn't surprise me one bit if his opinion didn't play some part in all these Canadian transfers.

10 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

When Herdman was here I was his biggest fan, but Marsch completely outlaps Herdman in some aspects. I never once saw Herdman go out to watch these types of games.

Even when I was "against" hiring Marsch, I did credit him with an eye for talent. And he proved it with Bombito, Shaffelburg and Cornelius.  Cornelius was with the national team during Herdman's tenure and John never saw what he had in this kid.

Anyway, I don't want to run down Herdman. I want to say that Marsch brings talents to this national team that we have never seen before. And it wouldn't surprise me one bit if his opinion didn't play some part in all these Canadian transfers.

I agree with the rest of your post but this just isn’t true. Herdman gave Cornelius his debut and he was a starter early on in his tenure. Cornelius fell out of form at club level and had a few rough years but was back in the team at the time Herdman left (he started against Honduras but was injured prior to nations league finals). If Cornelius was in the form he was at Vancouver he wouldn’t be starting for Marsch either. 

Our back line sucked bad??  Seems like the FB were roughly the same, Vittoria/Miller out Bombito/Corn in.  Bombito was the big upgrade we've all been hoping for and he was coming whether it was Marsch or someone else at coach.  Kudos to having the stones to start him though, but we still have to see whether either of the L1 transfers will actually make an impact.  They could have rough times like Lareya or to a lesser extent Buchanon.  

Jesse Marsch has done a great job with the team, and also immersing himself with the football landscape. I can't give him credit for the backline like some are suggesting, as feel we all knew it was inevitable to see that pairing.

However, a big part of the success of our CMNT manager is how many dual recruits they can get.

Marsch has just knocked down 1 of 3 (Sigur, Jebbison, and Koleosho) key guys that could change the depth of the program. 

Guys like Farsi, Tani, Promise - I don't considered them as wins/gains because we aren't "pulling" them from a national team setup. They would be considered losses IMO.

I was apprehensive about Marsch (still am with some decisions) but these are always "wins" that will give pushes to any fence sitters.

Edited by Shway

22 hours ago, ahmedou said:

Coach Jesse transformed our  backfour (from sucking bad to fucking good). 

The results are that Cornelius to OM and Bombito to OGC Nice.

The Coach Jese's impact!

Coach Jesse deserves his props for this!

Maybe I'm a prudish lapsed Catholic but why are you bringing up these players' sexual peccadilloes?

J/K.

I suspect that the biggest recruitment incentive (which he obviously played a huge role in) were the results at Copa.  We went toe to toe with legitimate top teams in a cutthroat competition and our guys showed that they can play with some of the best in the world.   After a disappointing (though not particularly shocking) WC the improvements seen at Copa showed any fence-sitter that we are a young team with a lot of upside who will be increasingly relevant in the years to come.  Insofar as Marsch played a big role in engineering those Copa results, he has to be given significant credit for that sort of indirect recruitment impact. 

Having a coach whisper sweet nothings in your ear will only take you so far - at some point we have to have on-field results that prove to players they won't be disadvantaged by playing for us.  Throw in the recent European transfers that we have seen, and Canada is clearly a bit of a footy darling right now.  For guys like Sigur, Jebbo and Koleosho, I think that resonates far more than the opportunity to get a brotherhood membership card.     

2 hours ago, Shway said:

I can't give him credit for the backline like some are suggesting, as feel we all knew it was inevitable to see that pairing.

Not sure about this one, while a few of us saw it as obvious, lots more expressed the necessity and familiarity of having Miller and Johnston in a back 3 along with Davies playing WB or on the wing.  Marsch totally reset the line and boldly put Davies at LB (finally).

It was common sense, yet gutsy and risky at the same time as it was completely untested.  

14 minutes ago, costarg said:

Not sure about this one, while a few of us saw it as obvious, lots more expressed the necessity and familiarity of having Miller and Johnston in a back 3 along with Davies playing WB or on the wing.  Marsch totally reset the line and boldly put Davies at LB (finally).

It was common sense, yet gutsy and risky at the same time as it was completely untested.  

Agree. If JH was  coach we would still be playing with a back 3 and Miller would be starting. He needs full credit for playing an untested CB pairing in Bombito & Derek vs the highest quality opponents we have faced in a very long time, including the 2 friendlies.

1 hour ago, costarg said:

Go back in the threads, you'll see it was very few. A lot of us were calling for the DC/MB pairing, and none of us have our UEFA badges, so it wasn't a shocker to see it but an "about time" or "okay let's go" feeling. 

Derek should've been given the opportunity long time ago as he was performing and winning with Malmo. Bombito was a Colorado poster boy "fastest this" "tackles won that"....so gutsy, risky?....not for me. They aren't kids. 

I can 100% agree that the most boldest move was speaking hoopla about getting Davies forward all while  cementing him at LB. However it's clear we are still hurting from not having a confident consistent wide player to help create for our forwards especially in a 442 system.