Jesse Marsch: CanMNT manager

On 7/14/2024 at 9:50 PM, costarg said:

I'd bet if you gave Marsch the option to be exactly where he is now or the option to change the past 3 months and turn down the Canada job to replace Berhalter knowing what he knows today, he'd pick us.  He's gotta be thrilled with the team and the results.  There is just soo much potential here even with so many guys not having attained their top level at Copa.  Imagine if David, Larin, Tajon, Kone, Davies and Millar actually reached 85% of their abilities in all games. 

The US still has much more depth and probably a higher talent level, on average, but Copa, has left me with the hope that our core squad COULD have an higher ceiling.
Obviously biased, but our guys just seem to be way more likeable… whereas the US seems to have too many entitled twats.  I guess you could say our guys are more coachable.

Marsch media tour interviews.

Petrillo did it for CBC. Best of the lot. I like Marsch saying what's wrong with Canadian development is that it took till Bombito hit 23 before his talent was recognized.

Too many late bloomers making the national team.

In contrast, CP24 interview is a bit different/cringey as expected as at least one of them seems to be non-sports/football people. But learned his kids learned toplay hockey in Montreal.

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/video?binId=7.395214

Not much new surfaced but a professional interview from CTV News.

I've often wondered about the "late bloomer" aspect, as we seen quite a few Canadian players emerge later than we would expect.

I seem to remember a study about pro athletes, specifically footy players, and their average career length. The conclusion was that careers typically lasted the same amount, regardless of when they first turned pro. So like... if you are performing at the higher levels, you have 8 good years whether you start at 18 or 24 because your body can only handle so much wear and tear, etc.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

This is one study related to age but not the one I am thinking of: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10702239/

e.g. "Despite evidence that selection at young ages may not be a good predictor for future success, many soccer organizations—especially in established soccer nations—invest considerable resources in identifying promising youngsters in the sampling years, i.e., between ages 6 and 12."

8 hours ago, red card said:

Marsch media tour interviews.

Petrillo did it for CBC. Best of the lot. I like Marsch saying what's wrong with Canadian development is that it took till Bombito hit 23 before his talent was recognized.

Too many late bloomers making the national team.

In contrast, CP24 interview is a bit different/cringey as expected as at least one of them seems to be non-sports/football people. But learned his kids learned toplay hockey in Montreal.

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/video?binId=7.395214

Not much new surfaced but a professional interview from CTV News.

What I found hysterical in all the interviews I've watched, not one interviewer introduced him as the MLS Canada Men's National Team Head Coach.

BTW, to underscore my complete reversal on Marsch I was ecstatic to hear his remark that players of 23-24 are not young it's almost too late. We need to identify 16-17-18 year olds. I've been saying that for years. (A perfect example of this is Tani. He's older than David but he is considered young.) And if you look at our NT many of the players are late bloomers. They're in catch-up mode because our soccer system could not identify them earlier.

Edited by Sal333

57 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

I was ecstatic to hear his remark that players of 23-24 are not young it's almost too late.

We're definitely different from other teams in that regard, even compared to the U.S. For example, it seems a guy like Pepi has been around for years, but he is still just 21. And even if he isn't playing super well, you still get the feeling there's time for meaningful corrective action.

By contrast, you take a guy like McGraw, who only made his debut for us in the last couple years, and think there's no conceivable reason to select him due to performance and age. At best, you'd maybe only get three or four more quality years. It's just not worth investing in.

I've said this before: World Cups are a young players' tournament for the most part. Sure. You have your freakshows like the Kloses, the Messis, the Ronaldos, etc. And perhaps Davies will be a similar centrepiece for us well into his 30s. But it is not the norm. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King
Scratched Robben. Was not that old when he retired.

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

What I found hysterical in all the interviews I've watched, not one interviewer introduced him as the MLS Canada Men's National Team Head Coach.

BTW, to underscore my complete reversal on Marsch I was ecstatic to hear his remark that players of 23-24 are not young it's almost too late. We need to identify 16-17-18 year olds. I've been saying that for years. (A perfect example of this is Tani. He's older than David but he is considered young.) And if you look at our NT many of the players are late bloomers. They're in catch-up mode because our soccer system could not identify them earlier.

It's all about the scouting and coaching.  The talent and potential is there, where we fail is in finding and developing it.  Our "academies" are "pay to play".  Until we get some real coaching and talent we aren't gonna change this.  

51 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

We're definitely different from other teams in that regard, even compared to the U.S. For example, it seems a guy like Pepi has been around for years, but he is still just 21. And even if he isn't playing super well, you still get the feeling there's time for meaningful corrective action. 

To be fair, it’s a fairly common joke to make amongst European fans that they think Davies is like, 28 because he’s been around for seemingly ever now. 

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Not there obviously but there is video out there of his speech.

I think I found that one on Twitter. Thanks for the heads up.

3 hours ago, PastPros said:

I've often wondered about the "late bloomer" aspect, as we seen quite a few Canadian players emerge later than we would expect.

I seem to remember a study about pro athletes, specifically footy players, and their average career length. The conclusion was that careers typically lasted the same amount, regardless of when they first turned pro. So like... if you are performing at the higher levels, you have 8 good years whether you start at 18 or 24 because your body can only handle so much wear and tear, etc.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

This is one study related to age but not the one I am thinking of: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10702239/

e.g. "Despite evidence that selection at young ages may not be a good predictor for future success, many soccer organizations—especially in established soccer nations—invest considerable resources in identifying promising youngsters in the sampling years, i.e., between ages 6 and 12."

I'm pretty sure our medical expertise, physiotherapy in locker rooms, dietary controls, pitch quality, are helping athletes last longer. And maybe the generalization of possession and positional play, which likely reduces gratuitous running, bursts, tackles in open field.

My feeling about the 6-12 set is let them play, have fun and ensure they all get touches. Then correct basics (ball to foot, controls, both feet). Then slowly introduce positional play and faster thinking. Identify talent around age 11-12 and for the next few years.

4 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Marsch is in Montreal today:

Geez, does this guy take a day off?  Just wrapped up an intense tournament with immense success and he's travelling the country making appearances already.  This guy lives his life by his football philosophy, high intense press all day long.....

6 minutes ago, costarg said:

Geez, does this guy take a day off?  Just wrapped up an intense tournament with immense success and he's travelling the country making appearances already.  This guy lives his life by his football philosophy, high intense press all day long.....

Rename this thread to Jesse’s Marsch to the Sea

When some were questioning why the German coach, forget his name, wasnt hired, it may have had to do with the scope of responsibilities  that Blue/CSA were seeking for the position of head coach. We are seeing some of that now. Cultural compatibility could have been another factor. In either case I'm super pleased they selected Marsch.

Edited by Kadenge

On 7/15/2024 at 2:38 AM, TGAA_Star said:

Never mind then so I was right because I was guessing it was between Montréal or Toronto. But to find out that it is going to be Toronto, it actually makes me happy in that regard because I'm from here.

Seems like his home base will remain Italy (13m10s).