Jesse Marsch: CanMNT manager

35 minutes ago, phil03 said:

My read is that he was calling Bair for the same reason Herdman was calling Brym: the guy was bound to get a move up and getting him eased to the group before would pay off later. 

On a broader note: good god our pool of striker is deep all of the sudden!

We have David (Lille, likely to get a move up), Larin (Betis), Ugbo (Sheffield Wednesday), Brym (Sparta Rotherdam), the younger David (Union Saint Geloise), Tani (Minnesota but likely to get a move up in the not too distant future) and now Brym (Auxerre). Hopefully the competition is going to help us with the finishing...

Bair!

You sorted out the double Davids well though.

56 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Imagine Jesse doesn’t rate Bair at all and this was just a way to cap tie him and lose the pressure to call him (unless needed of course).

Only friendlies before this apparently back in 2020 so there might be an element of truth to that but why go to the trouble of capping a 24 year old and having him around for an entire major tournament if you don't think he might be useful later?

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Only friendlies before this apparently back in 2020 so there might be an element of truth to that but why go to the trouble of capping a 24 year old and having him around for an entire major tournament if you don't think he might be useful later?

He may be useful later though. He just might not be a top 4/5 option under Marsch. So cap tie a guy who is building some hype so you can never be blamed for losing him. Let’s be real, Jamaica would be all over him. 

3 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

He may be useful later though. He just might not be a top 4/5 option under Marsch. So cap tie a guy who is building some hype so you can never be blamed for losing him. Let’s be real, Jamaica would be all over him. 

If you're talking about Jebbison we and Jamaica are not only in the race for him but England is too

1 hour ago, TGAA_Star said:

I love his energy and enthusiasm 

He oozes passion for the game and job.  He loves what he's doing.  With Herdman I always felt he saw CANMNT as a step towards where he wanted to go, it was a resume filler.  I never really felt his goal was to coach CANMNT for 10 years.

I'd bet if you gave Marsch the option to be exactly where he is now or the option to change the past 3 months and turn down the Canada job to replace Berhalter knowing what he knows today, he'd pick us.  He's gotta be thrilled with the team and the results.  There is just soo much potential here even with so many guys not having attained their top level at Copa.  Imagine if David, Larin, Tajon, Kone, Davies and Millar actually reached 85% of their abilities in all games. 

2 hours ago, costarg said:

I'd bet if you gave Marsch the option to be exactly where he is now or the option to change the past 3 months and turn down the Canada job to replace Berhalter knowing what he knows today, he'd pick us.

He basically said the federation bureaucracy down there hasn't changed so why would he go.  Plus he is still guaranteed a World Cup with Canada.  With the US he would be expected to have a good result with Canada a good result would likely be seen better worldwide.

7 hours ago, YorkRegionFan said:

Has it been stated where his home base is going to be?  Toronto/Vancouver/Montreal/other?  I am just curious about how much scouting of the CPL he is going to do before the friendlies?

I'm guessing it will be Montréal because he's coached there with the Impact before in the past or his home base ends up being in Toronto because it is the main hub for Canada Soccer 

7 hours ago, PastPros said:

He said TO.

Never mind then so I was right because I was guessing it was between Montréal or Toronto. But to find out that it is going to be Toronto, it actually makes me happy in that regard because I'm from here.

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

He looked very "on" in his times at Leeds with a much shorter break.

One of the thing the English immediately poked fun at.  Fulfilled a lot of hyper, talkative, over positive American stereo-types. 

Yeah, that's one of the things I held against him as well during his spell at Leeds but now I'm loving it...funny how perceptions can change.

Could not have predicted in a million years my expectations to exceed with Marsch more then they have. This man came in on short notice and gave this team belief and an identity that I believe will help us get out of the group and take us to the next step in the world stage. 

Just like everyone, I wish we were able to hang on and part of me blames the tactics and not parking the bus. But since the beginning of his time with this team it was always push, push, push and grind out results. It stayed true to what he was preaching.

Going forward I hope there is some sort of realization with him that we need to do better holding leads, but I think his job this tourney was to find a style that fits our players pool and gain the respect in such a short time and I believe he did. Little things like starting a younger/bench player lineup against Uruguay will go along way in a players mind when respecting and appreciating their coach.

I got full faith in him for 2026.