Jesse Marsch: CanMNT manager

7 minutes ago, phil03 said:

How is that wishy washy? He says he isn't leaving this job, that he is happy at this job and even laugh at the suggestion and respond to it with ''command man!'' Then he proceed to say that unless there is some massive change in US Soccer he is extremely unlikely to ever consider the USNT at any point in the future.

Like, short of going ''fuck the USSF'' and/or that he would never coach for them he can't be more definitive.

It was sarcasm

12 hours ago, phil03 said:

How is that wishy washy? He says he isn't leaving this job, that he is happy at this job and even laugh at the suggestion and respond to it with ''command man!'' Then he proceed to say that unless there is some massive change in US Soccer he is extremely unlikely to ever consider the USNT at any point in the future.

Like, short of going ''fuck the USSF'' and/or that he would never coach for them he can't be more definitive.

I'm sorry. I probably should have put a smiley winky thing but I thought it would be obvious.

People were going off about him not, I guess, coming out and saying something about a job that is not his and he said before he had no interest in.  He had already talked about his bad experience.  But when asked a direct question and came back with a very direct answer.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Wow.  This thread, and the topics touched on, is a helluvalot more interesting than I imagined it would be!  So thank you contributors.  I mean it.

And yes, I definitely recommend telegraphing sarcasm in forum discussions, everywhere.  If not just outright indicating it.  It still packs punch, and avoids (mostly) all the recriminations.  And you can still come off as witty as you thought you'd be!

Live interview format is somewhat subtler...but aren't there still gestures, or facial expressions to convey clearly the same?  Earlobe tug...unwavering stare...phrasing like" well, obviously"...lots of choices.

Don't mind me either.  Just riffing.

A key point about Marsch's press conference: the translation in situ was a disaster, altering entirely his meaning. And then various agencies including EFE, the Spanish news agency, has fragments that alter his meaning which are then quoted in the Uruguayan press verbatim. Most notably, when he says that our foul to card ratio was far higher, indeed for all the Concacaf teams, inferring that Uruguay had the least cards per foul, this is expressed exactly the opposite: that the South American teams had more cards. I have seen various Uruguay sources repeat that erroneous translation, not surprisingly which softens his words entirely, and to their favour.

Then the reports plain ignore what he says about the bias in the US game. That is simply removed from the official agency summary. 

If Marsch wanted to condition the refs for our Uruguay match-up, it may not work, simply because of the interpreter's errors as picked up by agencies and repeated across the Latin American press, and most notably--because they are interested in the story--the Uruguayan press.

Marsch clearly was saying that 1-if Canadians had done what Uruguayans did in the stands we'd be sanctioned for sure (favour to Uruguay); 2-that Uruguay was favoured by refs when it came to fouling with impunity; and 3- that the US game completely favoured them, inferring that perhaps they should not have even been in quarter finals. 

And he did not even mention the fact they played a man up vs. Colombia. Something Bielsa manipulates by saying that sure, but in the 2nd half there were  22 real minutes of play and just 7 minutes of added time.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

6 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

Here's the really good stuff...especially the not-so-veiled DePaul-is-a-child zinger:

What are the odds that Canada will receive a red card in the first 25 minutes of Saturday's game? I say pretty high. It'll not be for what the Canadian player will have done but rather because MArsch didn't wait for the end of the tournament to cut loose. This may not be as bad as Herdman's "Fuck Croatia" but it's on the same pitch.

16 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

What are the odds that Canada will receive a red card in the first 25 minutes of Saturday's game? I say pretty high. It'll not be for what the Canadian player will have done but rather because MArsch didn't wait for the end of the tournament to cut loose. This may not be as bad as Herdman's "Fuck Croatia" but it's on the same pitch.

I will say unlike the “Fuck Croatia” comment, what Marsch said isn’t a bulletin board material for Uruguay. He never disparaged the opponent directly, praised them repeatedly in the press conference, and you can argue he was agreeing with the broad strokes of what Bielsa was saying (obviously with some very key differences). So I wouldn’t put this at the same level as that Herdman quote.

19 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Obviously the third place game is important to us for a variety of reasons but for me, his speech is more important than the result of the game vs Uruguay. 

It was a signal to our players and the nation that he has our back, and that we will not succumb to any of it. I watched the entire thing and I found it very powerful and reinforcing that if I was a player I'd want to run through the wall for Marsch.

1 hour ago, frattinator said:

I will say unlike the “Fuck Croatia” comment, what Marsch said isn’t a bulletin board material for Uruguay. He never disparaged the opponent directly, praised them repeatedly in the press conference, and you can argue he was agreeing with the broad strokes of what Bielsa was saying (obviously with some very key differences). So I wouldn’t put this at the same level as that Herdman quote.

I wasn't saying that his comments were directed at Uruguay. They were directed at CONMEBOL that's why I expect retribution from the higher-ups.

56 minutes ago, narduch said:

Both managers for today's game did that though 

Uruguay have done a very good job or had had a very good job done for them of getting the "protecting friends and family" understanding out, justified or not.

And Marsch was clear but he didn't make  the walls bleed (as we used to say in debate) like Bielsa did.

18 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I think the 3 in midfield made a difference.  Our short passing at times was the best I have seen from this group. 

I mean, Choiniere, Oso and Kone basically bossed that midfield.  Uruguay was reduced to countering over the top or on the flanks.  Put Staq in for Oso and I hate to think just how good it could be.

Maybe its just me but I do get the sense that ''coach Jesse'', has they sometimes call him, has gained the respect of the South American press corps alongside Canada as a whole. They were never disrespectful to him per say but earlier on I got the sense they saw him as the random coach of a guest team who would soon be out, and most of their (few) questions was about how he and the team perceived our South American opponents.

As the tournament advanced his pressers became longer, thanks to South American journalists asking more questions. They started to make a point of congratulating him and Canada and expressing that they consider us a good team. They also started to ask questions about Canada itself and about how we felt on broader issues with the tournament. What's more, some of them at least definitely cared about the answers beyond just getting a quote as I'd argue that after he criticized Copa's organization they were eager to make him say something nice about it and try to get him to argue with their criticisms of the turf pitch. What's more, in the post-Uruguay presser someone asked what change we wanted to see if we were to come back again.  

7 hours ago, GasPed said:

I mean, Choiniere, Oso and Kone basically bossed that midfield.  Uruguay was reduced to countering over the top or on the flanks.  Put Staq in for Oso and I hate to think just how good it could be.

Ugh I was begging for Staq to come into that game as our final sub but understand wanting to give Bair some time. 

4 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Ugh I was begging for Staq to come into that game as our final sub but understand wanting to give Bair some time. 

I agree … I think in terms of winning the game

one, Jesse would normally have taken out Laryea not Johnston when Davies came in,

and two, he would have brought Staq on instead of Bair …

but for the overall men’s program bringing on Bair was the right thing … over the 8 games including the two big friendlies I believe every outfield player played - Marsch was clear he was playing the long game and kept his word.  Bravo to that.

I’m sure come World Cup he will have a plan for his top 18 players - and there will be rotation as well.  I truly believe his game management will be spot on and his focus will be who and how he wants his lineup to finish the last 30 minutes more than who starts the first 30 minutes.  

4 hours ago, phil03 said:

Maybe its just me but I do get the sense that ''coach Jesse'', has they sometimes call him, has gained the respect of the South American press corps alongside Canada as a whole. They were never disrespectful to him per say but earlier on I got the sense they saw him as the random coach of a guest team who would soon be out, and most of their (few) questions was about how he and the team perceived our South American opponents.

As the tournament advanced his pressers became longer, thanks to South American journalists asking more questions. They started to make a point of congratulating him and Canada and expressing that they consider us a good team. They also started to ask questions about Canada itself and about how we felt on broader issues with the tournament. What's more, some of them at least definitely cared about the answers beyond just getting a quote as I'd argue that after he criticized Copa's organization they were eager to make him say something nice about it and try to get him to argue with their criticisms of the turf pitch. What's more, in the post-Uruguay presser someone asked what change we wanted to see if we were to come back again.  

Correct. We also saw questions after the Uruguay match from Mexican media, Ecuador and Agencia EFE which is the leading agency from Spain. Not just Uruguayan journalists.

18 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Imagine Jesse doesn’t rate Bair at all and this was just a way to cap tie him and lose the pressure to call him (unless needed of course). 

I thought Bair was already cap tied?  

My read is that he was calling Bair for the same reason Herdman was calling Brym: the guy was bound to get a move up and getting him eased to the group before would pay off later. 

On a broader note: good god our pool of striker is deep all of the sudden!

We have David (Lille, likely to get a move up), Larin (Betis), Ugbo (Sheffield Wednesday), Brym (Sparta Rotherdam), the younger David (Union Saint Geloise), Tani (Minnesota but likely to get a move up in the not too distant future) and now Bair (Auxerre). Hopefully, the competition is going to help us with the finishing...

Edited by phil03