Jesse Marsch: CanMNT manager

30 minutes ago, PastPros said:

Marsch floated as a USMNT candidate by the Guardian - not a rumour, just a "possibility" (e.g. Gareth Soutgate is also mentioned):

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/jul/11/next-usmnt-coach-klopp-henry-southgate-berhalter-sacked

I think his time at the US helm will come one day - just not yet.

Article also includes Wilfred Nancy, claiming that the drawback to him is that he has only ever coached in the US. 

I said it elsewhere and I will say it again - I will be extremely annoyed if the CSA didn't establish a contract with him that doesn't give him an easy out in advance of 2026.  While history doesn't give much cause for optimism when it comes to the foresight of CSA contracts, this seems like the most basic element you would include when recruiting the successor to Herdman to see us through the 2026 WC. 

I think Marsch loves the weapons (talent) he has at his disposal as well the greater autonomy to run the program. The recent COPA run also gives him more resources - although a mere pittance compared to the USMNT - but I think he sees the constraints the US job would have to and the numerous stakeholders he would need to answer to.  I think him and Blue are on the same page and that’s huge.
Also I believe he relishes the opportunity to reshape the CPL and have a greater impact in getting it to be a younger vibrant developmental league to find the next 16-19 year old supercharged talents.   He is an excellent fit for us right now.

1 minute ago, A Different Perspective said:

Also I believe he relishes the opportunity to reshape the CPL and have a greater impact in getting it to be a younger vibrant developmental league to find the next 16-19 year old supercharged talents. 

Can you give me the coles notes of this?  They referenced it on (I think) the One Soccer CanChamp coverage last night - mentioning that he was attending games etc.  I haven't followed all the interviews he has given so has he made noises about the league?  With his MLS sponsorship, I am curious how that all plays out.  Especially if he is more strictly the CMNT coach, rather than being given a more expanded role in overhauling other elements of the Canadian footy landscape. 

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

Can you give me the coles notes of this?  They referenced it on (I think) the One Soccer CanChamp coverage last night - mentioning that he was attending games etc.  I haven't followed all the interviews he has given so has he made noises about the league?  With his MLS sponsorship, I am curious how that all plays out.  Especially if he is more strictly the CMNT coach, rather than being given a more expanded role in overhauling other elements of the Canadian footy landscape. 

I'm sure someone else could find the link, but he had comments referencing the importance of the CPL for developing young players. He mentioned if it was up to him there would be a rule about having young players on the pitch. Specifically he said not 22 year olds but 16, 17, 18, etc. 

This is not far off from the rule that already exists so I'm not sure what to make of his comments. I guess the U21 rule could easily be made U20 or U19.

3 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I'm sure someone else could find the link, but he had comments referencing the importance of the CPL for developing young players. He mentioned if it was up to him there would be a rule about having young players on the pitch. Specifically he said not 22 year olds but 16, 17, 18, etc. 

This is not far off from the rule that already exists so I'm not sure what to make of his comments. I guess the U21 rule could easily be made U20 or U19.

Yes just go the CPL tab in this form and it’s in the CPL General subheading.  I can’t seem to link but it’s easy enough (and short too) to view. 

18 hours ago, saladroit said:

20 minutes ago, A Different Perspective said:

Yes just go the CPL tab in this form and it’s in the CPL General subheading.  I can’t seem to link but it’s easy enough (and short too) to view. 

The post you wanted?

But overall, is this not a similar focus as the Red Bull model, obviously without the sell for big money later.

If he throws himself into this, just might be a reason he stays on after 2026.  If we want him to. 

With his comments about developing the player pool, I wonder if we'll also see some formation tweaks for the fall matches, perhaps going with a 4-3-3?  Choiniere getting a start on Saturday and showing well might possibly be a catalyst but I would really like to see a really mobile destroyer type to emerge and join Eustaquio and Kone, someone who can also mind the store on the left when Davies presses on the attack. 

5 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I said it elsewhere and I will say it again - I will be extremely annoyed if the CSA didn't establish a contract with him that doesn't give him an easy out in advance of 2026.  While history doesn't give much cause for optimism when it comes to the foresight of CSA contracts, this seems like the most basic element you would include when recruiting the successor to Herdman to see us through the 2026 WC. 

Kevin Blue seems more organized than previous management. I can't see there being an easy out.

Besides, I think the people at USSF who originally declined to hire him are still there. Even if they wanted him, given his previous interactions with them I don't think it's a given he'd want to go.

Just now, Watchmen said:

Kevin Blue seems more organized than previous management. I can't see there being an easy out.

Besides, I think the people at USSF who originally declined to hire him are still there. Even if they wanted him, given his previous interactions with them I don't think it's a given he'd want to go.

He spoke publicly many times where after USSF went with Gregg and not him, that he closed the door to the USMNT position. Whatever happened it was more than just "we went with a different candidate", so there is absolutely some bad blood there and he's going to have that chip on his shoulder. 

13 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

At this moment Southgate doesn't make sense to me at all. He's in the Euro final with England. He's presumably still has the England job if he wants it.

I think he's gone after this win or lose. Lose and they'll want him out, win and he can go out a hero.

22 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I think he's gone after this win or lose. Lose and they'll want him out, win and he can go out a hero.

I think it's the opposite. He stays regardless if they win or lose the final. 

Edited by mpg_29

4 hours ago, jonovision said:

Most teams are already giving players this age a chance. There have already been 30 teenagers that have played this season and many of them are 16/17. However, it's also important to note that the Forge team that beat TFC last night didn't play a single player that would meet even a U20 rule, and the team that is leading the CPL right now (Ottawa) wouldn't have played one all season. We can only diminish the quality of our top division so far for the sake of youth development and still expect people to watch. 

19 minutes ago, narduch said:

Umm, Neil, no one is all that interested in Canada Soccer's view of what Marsch is thinking. How about not substituting a meaningless quote and just saying what the facts are - that you have asked Marsch for his views but he hasn't responded yet (or whatever the current truth is)?

Edited by ensco