Jesse Marsch: CanMNT manager

3 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

Tbf to Herdman winning the Octo was not nothing. 14 games in 7 months

Edit: if you include all games from March 2021 up to and including our WC games it was 34 games in ~20 months.

Why are you bringing facts to a mudslinging,  defaming contest?

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

That was him once again reiterating it but he literally said it on the pitch in his post match interview. There was no hot mic. 

Yes it was, it came out in the huddle which was supposed to have been private and then he was asked about it.  What was he supposed to do, lie?

5 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

Tbf to Herdman winning the Octo was not nothing. 14 games in 7 months

Edit: if you include all games from March 2021 up to and including our WC games it was 34 games in ~20 months.

He wasn't hired in March 2021. 

The whole point is that some are arguing Marsch will last fewer years. 

Again: how long did it take Herdman to play 8 games at the salary he and the staff were making?

28 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Yes it was, it came out in the huddle which was supposed to have been private and then he was asked about it.  What was he supposed to do, lie?

All the time coaches and players are asked to keep what is in the dressing room and in the group private and not repeat it externally. They say things like "I am not at liberty to discuss that" all the time. 

But we did not have anyone from CSA doing anything at all in terms of competent press work at Qatar, our players were snubbing journalists, Herdman and co were ignoring press conference requirements. So our message management was poor. 

The point I am making is still valid: would Herdman have said F--- Serbia in Borjan's face, if that had been our rival? So it is simple, he was able to say it because he could not give a damn about what it meant in the Canadian context. And he knew it happened to resonate positively with one of our captains for reasons that have nothing to do with football.

8 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He wasn't hired in March 2021. 

The whole point is that some are arguing Marsch will last fewer years. 

Again: how long did it take Herdman to play 8 games at the salary he and the staff were making?

1st game March 2018 against New Zealand, 8th game June 2019 against Cuba during the Gold Cup

15 minutes ago, Spungi said:

1st game March 2018 against New Zealand, 8th game June 2019 against Cuba during the Gold Cup

So he was hired 8 January of that year, played NZ a few months later, got to his 8th game in the Gold Cup 18 months later. 

As I said, I think it is CSA incompetence to not give him friendlies, but he just coasted on a solid salary for months and it was not until that Gold Cup you could even come close to forming an opinion about him. And even then, after we lost to Haiti that GC, in a very poorly managed game, he "had been with the team for such a short time" that no one dreamed about questioning his position as Canada manager. 

32 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The point I am making is still valid: would Herdman have said F--- Serbia

That would have been really really stupid...

...because we weren't playing them.

Stop making up scenarios (again), so you can climb up and preach morally to man who doesn't know you exist.

32 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

That would have been really really stupid...

...because we weren't playing them.

Stop making up scenarios (again), so you can climb up and preach morally to man who doesn't know you exist.

Guy does not understand how the conditional tense works.

We'll give you another try. If there had been players from Croatian stock in the squad, would he have said it? I just drove past the Croatian Cultural Centre in Vancouver today, thinking that Croatia won national amateur championships. If you had any culture of Canadian football, you would never say it. 

Then they leveraged it in their favour, they repeated it, used in in pep talks, cited it, the Croatian press jumped on it, and Borjan was targeted. And they killed us on the pitch. So we made asses of ourselves, and Herdman was partially responsible, for not sorting out our midfield. And for inspiring a direct rival totally unnecessarily while offending part of our national soccer community.

But you are a cultural myope, so you just don't get it.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Guy does not understand how the conditional tense works.

We'll give you another try. If there had been players from Croatian stock in the squad, would he have said it? I just drove past the Croatian Cultural Centre in Vancouver today, thinking that Croatia won national amateur championships. If you had any culture of Canadian football, you would never say it. 

Then they leveraged it in their favour, they repeated it, used in in pep talks, cited it, the Croatian press jumped on it, and Borjan was targeted. And they killed us on the pitch. So we made asses of ourselves, and Herdman was partially responsible, for not sorting out our midfield. And for inspiring a direct rival totally unnecessarily while offending part of our national soccer community.

But you are a cultural myope, so you just don't get it.

It is pretty simple actually.

You are using the conditional tense to make up a scenario, not what might happen but what might have happened.  In the past,with a man no longer our coach.

With nothing to gain - the subject is not going to read this - than to appear or feel morally superior. 

I mean picking the bones out what a past coach said is one thing but judging him and his background on what you invent him saying in a made-up scenario - new level of low intellectualism.

Is there another explanation?

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

It is pretty simple actually.

You are using the conditional tense to make up a scenario, not what might happen but what might have happened.  In the past,with a man no longer our coach.

With nothing to gain - the subject is not going to read this - than to appear or feel morally superior. 

I mean picking the bones out what a past coach said is one thing but judging him and his background on what you invent him saying in a made-up scenario - new level of low intellectualism.

Is there another explanation?

So you are arguing that having a critical opinion about anyone in football who is not going to read this board is a low level of intellectualism? And making up scenarios about football is low level intellectualism too?

You are on the wrong board guy. Or else you are basically insulting 85% of posters here.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Just now, Unnamed Trialist said:

He insulted the rival and they were upset by it, as were many Canadian-Croatians. 

That is not moral superiority, it is just pointing out a moral defect in his stupid comments.

Another pearl of "moral superiority" if you like: if Marsch starts slagging Argentina and Argentines in the next few days and they leverage it, he's a fool.

But he won't, so he's not. It is not too hard to understand.

That is a straw man.

You know that's not what I objected to. 

I won't spam anymore about an incident over 18 months ago and a coach whose thread this is not.

Have a good night. 

So far so good.  Some nice public talk, players and pundits and coaches, about the pointed attempts at unleashing what they feel were Canada's strengths, and the belief in it.  So...why not?

Yes, finishing has been a "problem".  But from my casual viewing, I feel most soccer clubs miss a ton of their chances...it's a constant refrain...and delineating between the ones that should have gone in, and the ones that didn't, is quite simply a fool's game.  So no, I am not worried about the finishing rate...I would be more worried if there were no chances to finish anything, which has happened plenty in recent times.  So this trend of plenty of great chances is positive, not negative.

Anyways, I like Marsch so far, for what he has brought out in the squad.  No idea what he's actually doing, but on the field, it seems a step forward.

Comparisons to Herdman?  Why bother?  Herdman also made great steps with this squad, clearly...no debate on that is possible, it's a fact.  And now Canada has a new "MLS Leader of Canada's Players" or some such thing.

Posted (edited)

Maybe I missed it… but I haven’t seen any real discussion of Marsch's remarkable PK selections.

How shocked would we have been if we had known in advance he was going to throw Bombito into the 5 PK takers? Or put Kone in before Johnston? Or put Davies in the number 5 slot, for that matter?

These choices would have all generated pages of commentary, most of it outraged.

Marsch gambled on the kids and won, big big time. The effect on the room of the gaffer's belief in the kids, and the room's belief, now, in the new gaffer…. that will pay dividends for years, way beyond just winning Friday night- as massive as that was.

Like I said. Remarkable.

Edited by ensco

1 hour ago, ensco said:

Maybe I missed it… but I haven’t seen any real discussion of Marsch's remarkable PK selections.

How shocked would we have been if we had known in advance he was going to throw Bombito into the 5 PK takers? Or put Kone in before Johnston? Or put Davies in the number 5 slot, for that matter?

These choices would have all generated pages of commentary, most of it outraged.

Marsch gambled on the kids and won, big big time. The effect on the room of the gaffer's belief in the kids, and the room's belief, now, in the new gaffer…. that will pay dividends for years, way beyond just winning Friday night- as massive as that was.

Like I said. Remarkable.

I think it helps that we won. Had we lost there probably would have been a deeper discussion. 

We also don't really have a lot of guys that are surefire pk picks. So it's difficult to even speculate on who should go.

One thing I did notice is that people did say awful and unnecessary things after Millar's miss, but let Eustaquio go easy on his.

Honestly watching all these PK's in the Euro's and Copa America I'm not sure there is any sureproof strategy. It seems like a lot of luck and randomness. The only technique you can train on is probably the lead up to the shot to make it hard for the goalie to predict the intention...but that still doesn't guarantee that the player will make the shot well.

17 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Honestly watching all these PK's in the Euro's and Copa America I'm not sure there is any sureproof strategy. It seems like a lot of luck and randomness. The only technique you can train on is probably the lead up to the shot to make it hard for the goalie to predict the intention...but that still doesn't guarantee that the player will make the shot well.

Actually, there are two sure-fire ways to score on PKs. Get the ball in the top right or left corners. No keeper can stop those. The problem is you can run into the snag that Millar ran into. The excitement of the situation gets to you and you kick it over the top bar. It happened to Messi, del Piero and many other greats.

39 minutes ago, CCrTFC said:

I just saw Marsch speaking with Wileman in regards to the penalties and it appears Johnston was supposed to be sixth and that it was him to seek Kone to take it in the moment. 

I watched the same interview and I thought the "Johnny" Marsch was referring to was David.  Further, Marsch had penciled in Kone as one of his first five takers based on practice results but the day before the game, Kone was hesitant to take penalties and I think there were mixed results when he took them so Marsch didn't put him among the first five.

43 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Brazil missed 2 yesterday (one wide and one post) and I think it was in part due to the attention they gave to the production they put on before the kick. They did the Fred Flintstone twinkle-toes bowling routine, and then some form of twitchy staggered step up, and when they went to strike the ball they weren’t fully focused on executing the main component - a low hard shot into a corner.   I don’t know if trying to sneak up on the ball is advantageous but I do know that you better focus on execution when there is a big game on the line.  

25 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Actually, there are two sure-fire ways to score on PKs. Get the ball in the top right or left corners. No keeper can stop those. The problem is you can run into the snag that Millar ran into. The excitement of the situation gets to you and you kick it over the top bar. It happened to Messi, del Piero and many other greats.

Baggio 1994 Final as well.

One of the things that made Davies' one a bit impressive for me.  Picked that spot but then put it right there.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

One thing I did notice is that people did say awful and unnecessary things after Millar's miss, but let Eustaquio go easy on his.

Unfortunately people can get caught up with their own heroes and villains on a team and use whatever to try and push that.

10 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Brazil missed 2 yesterday (one wide and one post) and I think it was in part due to the attention they gave to the production they put on before the kick. They did the Fred Flintstone twinkle-toes bowling routine, and then some form of twitchy staggered step up, and when they went to strike the ball they weren’t fully focused on executing the main component - a low hard shot into a corner.   I don’t know if trying to sneak up on the ball is advantageous but I do know that you better focus on execution when there is a big game on the line.  

It makes it very easy if you get the keeper to move in the hesitation but I agree it adds a new element that can go wrong.

Paqueta, who was subbed off before the penalties is perfect doing stuff like that for my club and for Brazil. (6/6).  Though I do see he missed one for Lyon.