Jesse Marsch: CanMNT manager

11 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I love bad movies, one of the reasons I like Ed Wood, the movie and the director. 

So I know him from a bunch of those.

Firehead and later Cyclone with Jeffrey Combs and the actress from the original Fall Guy come to mind. 

His daughter was also on Buffy.

As a really bit of obscure trivia, his daughter also played the third incarnation of Romana in Doctor Who, albeit only in the audio-only adventures they have been releasing for CD & download.

This does allow me to segue into a shameless plug for my just published, but fabulous new book on the commonalities between Doctor Who and Progressive Rock, now available on Amazon:

TLM&M_2024-05_cover_v02.1.jpg

32 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Both these guys saying all the right things.  I actually didn't hear anything about Berhalter or USMNT in there but it's pretty long so maybe I missed it.  But overall, a very clear-eyed view about what they're up against and what they want to do.  Fingers crossed for tomorrow... 

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Definite upgrade from John Herdman 

as much as the qualifying run was amazing lightning in a bottle stuff... one guy is a powerpoint tedtalk mentality merchant whose mls team is at 1.09 PPG, the other guy brushed shoulders with rangnick and has coached at literally the highest levels of the game regardless of how it went there. absolutely sizeable gap

Edited by saladroit

44 minutes ago, YorkRegionFan said:

I had my doubts about Jesse Marsch as well, especially with the losses to Netherlands and Argentina.   I am really happy to see my doubts to be unfounded as Canada advances to the semi-final.  As @narduch mentioned, this team has the 2000 Gold Cup team vibe to it.

You thought we should beat or draw Argentina and Netherlands?

If so, is there any team in the world that should beat us, in your opinion?

2 hours ago, PastPros said:

You thought we should beat or draw Argentina and Netherlands?

If so, is there any team in the world that should beat us, in your opinion?

We got pasted pretty bad by Holland. 15 minutes of over the top, full out unsustainably naive gegenpressing, 30 mins of adequately hanging in, 45 mins of nothing that could win anything much (at least, not anywhere of note). Overall 90, the approach did not make sense. But since then it’s been a quite different approach. And tonight we had urgency too (lacking somewhat since the first 15 mins against Holland). So hats off to him. I’m very interested to see what we look like when he’s had more time to work with the group. 

And totally excited about Tuesday. Tonight was a great win. Not perfect, of course, but who cares about that. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I enjoy the straight talk from Marsch, speaks plainly, honestly and  to the point.  I dont feel like he is selling me something or trying to promote himself, a genuine good guy.  

In the presser he took responsibility for the Veneuzuelan goal. He admitted he was hounding Crepeau to come out further. I've rarely heard a manager do that. Admit he was wrong

Edited by Sal333

8 hours ago, saladroit said:

as much as the qualifying run was amazing lightning in a bottle stuff... one guy is a powerpoint tedtalk mentality merchant whose mls team is at 1.09 PPG, the other guy brushed shoulders with rangnick and has coached at literally the highest levels of the game regardless of how it went there. absolutely sizeable gap

I was recently critical of Herdman but I absolutely want to be fair to him so I will say that he does seem to have had a lasting legacy on the mindset of this team.   March has noted how close and surprisingly unified the guys are.  One or two of the players called the guys “brothers” in post game interview last night.  As much as I think the move to Marsch was the right next-step in the evolution of this team, it definitely seems like the (very positive) mindset that Herdman created has continued on and is still galvanizing this group of players.   So full credit to him for establishing a crucial element in our team’s identity.   

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, ECW said:

We got pasted pretty bad by Holland. 15 minutes of over the top, full out unsustainably naive gegenpressing, 30 mins of adequately hanging in, 45 mins of nothing that could win anything much (at least, not anywhere of note). Overall 90, the approach did not make sense. But since then it’s been a quite different approach. And tonight we had urgency too (lacking somewhat since the first 15 mins against Holland). So hats off to him. I’m very interested to see what we look like when he’s had more time to work with the group. 

And totally excited about Tuesday. Tonight was a great win. Not perfect, of course, but who cares about that. 

People still need to realise that gegenpress is not synonymous with a  high press.

A high press is what we tried and  had some temporary success with against Holland ( I think we will see it again) but gegenpress is something that we have been doing off and on then and since. Like how it is "supposed" to be used.

I think Marsch took what he saw we would be able take on and adjusted for the weather and opponents.  We are very much a work in progress but if we finish a few of our chances, it becomes a lot easier.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

8 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

...but if we finish a few of our chances, it becomes a lot easier.

That was the scary part about the game last night - we really could have been up 3 or 4 goals by half and the game could have essentially been over.   Admittedly they had a clear header that was wasted so it isn’t like it was all one-way traffic but according to FitMob we had 4 “big chances” and they had 0.  Our XG was 1.65 and theirs was 0.86.  We absolutely could have been free and clear of them with just a bit more luck.  And all of that is playing against 12 men.   

28 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

That was the scary part about the game last night - we really could have been up 3 or 4 goals by half and the game could have essentially been over.   Admittedly they had a clear header that was wasted so it isn’t like it was all one-way traffic but according to FitMob we had 4 “big chances” and they had 0.  Our XG was 1.65 and theirs was 0.86.  We absolutely could have been free and clear of them with just a bit more luck.  And all of that is playing against 12 men.   

We’ve generated 13 big chances in the tournament and only converted on 1 of them. That’s a ghastly ratio - need the opposite of that to have a chance vs Argentina.