Jesse Marsch: CanMNT manager

2 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

In all honesty who cares what Fox says or Univision (Man oh man does Univision have some attractive women doing news and sports) say

Well, there is a thread on here (which I only posted on this evening) called "US National Team Watch" so I guess there are some folks on this forum interested in many things revolving around it, including media, but ya, I wouldn't get my knickers in a not over it, for sure.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

I take it that Fox's coverage will now become far more Marsch-centric now that "U-S-A!" is out.  Or they'll just keep on with the Messi hype train.

I have not watched Fox until today, saw the preview and early part only (family dinner and then, sadly, they chose to sit outside in the sun beside the river, instead of inside where the game was on), but was stunned how canned it all is. They have some editors telling them the talking points, they follow what they are told, it is extremely unnatural, like they'd prefer to not have anyone actually think. Then try the friendly banter to do their lame Kate Abdo and co imitation, but without the substance and lacking the character. 

Must say that I have found TSN to be a bit of an embarrassment also, too many backroom boys who disrespect soccer fans by telling those faces on air what to say. TSN has come up with so many garbage idiotic stats, where do they think this has any place in the experience of the game?

9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They have some editors telling them the talking points, they follow what they are told, it is extremely unnatural, like they'd prefer to not have anyone actually think. Then try the friendly banter to do their lame Kate Abdo and co imitation, but without the substance and lacking the character. 

It could have been worse:  they could have brought back former NFL wideout Chad Johnson for his fanboy perspective.  That was comically awful on so many levels.

1 minute ago, BearcatSA said:

It could have been worse:  they could have brought back former NFL wideout Chad Johnson for his fanboy perspective.  That was comically awful on so many levels.

If they want to take someone who is, say, an opera singer or the mayor of Dublin who is a big Spurs fan, and ask at halftime what he thinks of the match, then great. But that is about it. Remember snooker player Mark Selby being from Leicester getting interviewed when they won EPL. Fine, lovely. But never the main opinion, the pundit or hired. And anything more is pushing it. 

Athletic aren't looking too impressed by Jesse's attire in their review of Copa America manager fashion:

Shorts. I never thought we would see the day.

Jesse Marsch’s homecoming has been a bold one. Even in the hottest climates it is rare to see a manager go bare legged like the Wisconsin-native did in Kansas City for Canada’s game against Peru. (Admittedly, it was very hot.)

Did he have a family trip to Trader Joe’s lined up after the match?

There is a movement that Marsch may well now be a leader of. That movement is called Men Wearing Shorts In All Weathers (MWSIAW). Getting Canada out of a group that had Argentina in was a win, wearing shorts could prove to be a bigger one.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5607414/2024/07/03/copa-america-manager-berhalter-fashion/

12 minutes ago, red card said:

Athletic aren't looking too impressed by Jesse's attire in their review of Copa America manager fashion:

Jesse Marsch’s homecoming has been a bold one. Even in the hottest climates it is rare to see a manager go bare legged like the Wisconsin-native did in Kansas City for Canada’s game against Peru. (Admittedly, it was very hot.)

There is a movement that Marsch may well now be a leader of. That movement is called Men Wearing Shorts In All Weathers (MWSIAW). Getting Canada out of a group that had Argentina in was a win, wearing shorts could prove to be a bigger one.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5607414/2024/07/03/copa-america-manager-berhalter-fashion/

If I am honest, that would be the kind of article that would reinforce a bunch of English stereotypes about North American soccer.

6 hours ago, red card said:

Since a lot of folks on this board were mocking the attire of the Peru coach, with a hell of a lot of gall, it's only fair for Canadian tastes to get a challenge. 

I find anyone worrying about what a coach wears is really reaching. I had a bewildering argument on this board once with someone who thought the Barça women's coach was inappropriately dressed, after winning the W Champions League. Really folks?

30 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Since a lot of folks on this board were mocking the attire of the Peru coach, with a hell of a lot of gall, it's only fair for Canadian tastes to get a challenge. 

I find anyone worrying about what a coach wears is really reaching. I had a bewildering argument on this board once with someone who thought the Barça women's coach was inappropriately dressed, after winning the W Champions League. Really folks?

What did the Peru coach wear? I only remember that he was a senile old man, crying after the game in the most Trumpian fashion.

31 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

What did the Peru coach wear? I only remember that he was a senile old man, crying after the game in the most Trumpian fashion.

He kinda looked like a guy on a group bus tour playing penny slots in Reno. No judgment from me - he looked comfortable. 

Edited by Soro17

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Not sure I saw any mocking of wardrobe, I don't normally notice coach's clothes myself (shame on me, apparently)

He just looked like Academy award winner Martin Landau.  Dressed pretty nice there. And Ed Wood that he won his Oscar for is a great movie. 

Martin-Landau.jpg

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

On 7/2/2024 at 11:47 AM, TGAA_Star said:

I bet certain Americans are regretting not getting Marsch when they had the chance to. But now he's ours.

Certain Americans?   Seems like all Americans who care about soccer are prime candidates to hire Marsch on the spot, by any means.  They really seem to hate having the guy they have right now...can you imagine the Voyageurs releasing a public statement about their negative thoughts on Canada's coach?

So.  Incidentally, re previous thread posts... if if you're hoping for Marsch-centric Fox soccer coverage, that would be it.  What would have happened if he was coaching the USA instead of Berhalter.

13 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Not sure I saw any mocking of wardrobe, I don't normally notice coach's clothes myself (shame on me, apparently)

He just looked like Academy award winner Martin Landau.  Dressed pretty nice there. And Ed Wood that he won his Oscar for is a great movie. 

Martin-Landau.jpg

You don't read the board much.

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Martin-Landau.jpg

I mainly know him as Commander Koenig from Space:1999

41 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I mainly know him as Commander Koenig from Space:1999

I love bad movies, one of the reasons I like Ed Wood, the movie and the director. 

So I know him from a bunch of those.

Firehead and later Cyclone with Jeffrey Combs and the actress from the original Fall Guy come to mind. 

His daughter was also on Buffy.

7 hours ago, eramosat said:

Certain Americans?   Seems like all Americans who care about soccer are prime candidates to hire Marsch on the spot, by any means.  They really seem to hate having the guy they have right now...can you imagine the Voyageurs releasing a public statement about their negative thoughts on Canada's coach?

So.  Incidentally, re previous thread posts... if if you're hoping for Marsch-centric Fox soccer coverage, that would be it.  What would have happened if he was coaching the USA instead of Berhalter.

Good points but Marsch isn't with the USA. He is with us in our program and because of that, we are not only thriving but he is too and that's a good thing for us you know?

10 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Forgive me for being sceptical, you tend to build up mountains (or make them up altogether) where you can morally preach from. It's kind of your thing. Right?

No actually, there are two pages of mocking his dress and his look, maybe 4-6 posts, and their added mocking likes. Mocking a 70 year old's way of dressing. 

You just choose to ignore data when it doesn't fit your narrative. I appreciate not everyone reads entire threads, I tend to read match threads afterwards to get the tone and feel. And I responded in fact, joking about Jesse, because I thought it was stupid. 

It's not important enough to give you a link reference if you're too lazy to care.

You have to wonder what your motivation is to claim something easy to corroborate is in my mind, or others. As you do constantly. Just shut up if you couldn't be bothered to look at the posts when they appeared for all to see. 

19 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

No actually, there are two pages of mocking his dress and his look, maybe 4-6 posts, and their added mocking likes. Mocking a 70 year old's way of dressing. 

2 pages would be close to 40 posts on this board.

But please direct me.  I didn't see it in real time and I have not seen it with related searches.

If I missed less than 25% of 1 page worth on a match thread of 46, I do honestly apologise.