Jesse Marsch: CanMNT manager

3 minutes ago, costarg said:

My annoyance is walking into local cafes and everyone is marketing the Euro, so I mention Canada is playing in Copa at the same time and they're like "huh?".

It’s bizarre especially given that Argentina/Messi is all the rage in North America/Canada right now. Yet we hear non stop about how he didn’t play in some meaningless match in Vancouver…

8 minutes ago, costarg said:

My annoyance is walking into local cafes and everyone is marketing the Euro, so I mention Canada is playing in Copa at the same time and they're like "huh?".

Yeah, I hear you. People keep sending me Euro pool invites and I can keep responding asking when they are sending out their Copa pool details and getting no response. That is one positive about kicking off the tournament with a game against Argentina (and also the tournament being in the US) - it is hard(er) to ignore.

Still, it could be worse, I remember walking into Smuggler's Cove Pub in Victoria back in 2003 and asking them to change  (one of) the channels to the Canada vs Sweden semi-final of the Women's World Cup, and them looking at me like I had two heads. But they did it :)

23 minutes ago, costarg said:

I do sort of get it though. They were talking about the Copa on sports radio yesterday and saying that it doesn't have the prestige of the Euro. And I don't think they're wrong, at least globally. The Copa changes format more often, bounces it's timing around, used to be every 2 years, and has frequently been a tournament where teams have dressed experimental squads. But I do think CONMEBOL is working to make it more prestigious, and they can get it there. Settle in to a more permanent 4 year rotation. Leave it at 16 teams (combined w/CONCACAF is the way to go, imo). Teams have definitely been taking it more seriously the last few cycles.

And I think because Canada has never participated in it (or even really had the opportunity to, outside of one failed invite), it's not in the casual sports fans awareness. But that can change, starting very soon.

2 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

I mean it doesn't help that they are holding it the same year as the Euro...

Copa America with 16 teams could probably pretty popular if it was held in a separate year from WC and Euro.

I did think the timing between the WC and Euro was pretty good because of the lack of competition, but I think it ended up being "the start of a new cycle" for teams with more experimentation, and I don't think that's what CONMEBOL wanted.

I actually kind of like the timing lining up with the Euro. It is almost like we are having a World Cup in two parts. And I think it allows the prestige and seriousness of the Euro to rub off on the Copa a little. Plus the timing midway between World Cups is ideal. 

And I agree that keeping a consistent 4 year cycle, with a 10 Conmebol + 6 concacaf format is the way to go. Having the US and Mexico always there will build the profile of the tournament and it becomes effectively a championship for the entire Western Hemisphere.

On 6/11/2024 at 12:17 PM, mpg_29 said:

I mean it doesn't help that they are holding it the same year as the Euro...

Copa America with 16 teams could probably pretty popular if it was held in a separate year from WC and Euro.

Make Copa America a 16 team tournament from now on rather than just 10 teams 

In London for work and yesterday came across a big and very HD screen with a hundred of those hammock chairs, near Euston Square, and sat down beside a bunch of Albanians, they were playing Croatia and up 1-0.

So we started chatting and when I mentioned Canada playing Argentina they knew we'd hired Jesse Marsch, and so I said, I guess if you are Leeds fans you'll have an opinion. But no, they were Arsenal supporters, but actually had a positive view of Marsch and felt he was a good hire. They did not have any sort of negative take on him at all. 

Always great to meet footie fans everywhere who love to chat about the game in general, about literally anything, they were telling me how hard it was to get tickets at Emirates and they only went to away matches.

17 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

In London for work and yesterday came across a big and very HD screen with a hundred of those hammock chairs, near Euston Square, and sat down beside a bunch of Albanians, they were playing Croatia and up 1-0.

So we started chatting and when I mentioned Canada playing Argentina they knew we'd hired Jesse Marsch, and so I said, I guess if you are Leeds fans you'll have an opinion. But no, they were Arsenal supporters, but actually had a positive view of Marsch and felt he was a good hire. They did not have any sort of negative take on him at all. 

Always great to meet footie fans everywhere who love to chat about the game in general, about literally anything, they were telling me how hard it was to get tickets at Emirates and they only went to away matches.

Euston Tap, housed in one of the gate houses outside the station has the best selection of beer and cider on tap anywhere I've seen. Worth a go, if you're still there.

2 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Euston Tap, housed in one of the gate houses outside the station has the best selection of beer and cider on tap anywhere I've seen. Worth a go, if you're still there.

Thanks for the tip, wish I had known....London has a lot of mediocre to poor pubs, and a lot who have decided it is a better business to serve food than to serve drink. You can also see some poor staffing at pubs. Much better pubs in a lot of other places, like Dublin.

Though most have a decent selection of beer and other, I am not much of a drinker but found a pub's own bitter a few times. Or half a dozen alcohol free options. 

Watched England in a pub in South Kensington (very enjoyable to pretend to care that England was crapping their pants), 60 min of Spain at Gatwick, flew, listened to the first 10 minutes of Canada on Argentine radio as I walked from the shuttle stop to my home in Barcelona, then settled in around m. 15.

6 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Marsch " the ref didn't call the foul on Shaffelburg because he was scared  it was a penalty"...wow. He also said Argentina should be fined for coming out late and he pointed  to the Latino journos to quote him. I like Jesse. He's got big cojones.

"Scared because it was a penalty" is either poor officiating or wrong by Marsch. VAR was going to check it, so if it's a penalty it's flagged even if he doesn't call it initially. As it is, he missed a foul outside the box, which is still poor.

1 minute ago, Watchmen said:

"Scared because it was a penalty" is either poor officiating or wrong by Marsch. VAR was going to check it, so if it's a penalty it's flagged even if he doesn't call it initially. As it is, he missed a foul outside the box, which is still poor.

It could be both.

The ref could have forgot VAR in the split second after years without it and bottled making a call.  Which would be poor officiating and Marsch would  be right. 

Or the ref could remember VAR, Jesse be wrong and the call is still wrong.