Jesse Marsch: CanMNT manager

17 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They made a decision to release the women's roster, who play before and let that be the story one day. 

The men, who play after, get their story out a separate day. Otherwise the men overshadow the women, when ticket sales for the Mexico series is an important revenue stream for us. .

Fair enough, although I doubt roster release is going to ultimately damage ticket sales for the women. 

10 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I know this is a safe space buried in the Jesse Marsch thread on the men's forum, so let me ask: isn't Mexico a strange opponent for a rainbow match?

Do you think Mexicans will show up for their women's team and do the puto chant?

I highly doubt it. 

1 hour ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I know this is a safe space buried in the Jesse Marsch thread on the men's forum, so let me ask: isn't Mexico a strange opponent for a rainbow match?

A rainbow what? 

Oh .....wait a sec.

2 hours ago, Vasi said:

Nahhh..They are waiting to put the final touches on MB's contract. Once they do that they will be free to release the roster. 

I guess my attempt at a joke was pretty poor :P

Related to the Marsch rumours about S Korea, it's come out that Xavi Hernandez was offered the Korea job after announcing he was leaving Barça. So perhaps the news about Marsch was indeed true, they were actively looking. 

I just read Paulo Bento was on 1.3 million euros for Korea the WC year, if you add assistants that could be two million or more. Low for Xavi but good for Marsch  I don't think Canada is paying that much, I'd say we're 10-15% lower.

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Related to the Marsch rumours about S Korea, it's come out that Xavi Hernandez was offered the Korea job after announcing he was leaving Barça. So perhaps the news about Marsch was indeed true, they were actively looking. 

I just read Paulo Bento was on 1.3 million euros for Korea the WC year, if you add assistants that could be two million or more. Low for Xavi but good for Marsch  I don't think Canada is paying that much, I'd say we're 10-15% lower.

Interesting that South Korea will be playing WCQ in a few weeks with an interim manager

Just now, jhoops__ said:

Disagree…Mnt playing in the Copa and opening night vs Argentina is as big as it gets for football in our country.

That's as a football fan, fine (though winning gold is bigger than a Copa match in a group stage) but it ignores the discourse of Canadian soccer over the last 15 years. It ignores official CSA policy seeking parity. It also ignores the role the women have had in Canada building the game. And pressuring the soccer establishment.

All we're saying is you don't bury an Olympic champion callup for home games beneath a men's friendly callup. And they didn't.

4 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That's as a football fan, fine (though winning gold is bigger than a Copa match in a group stage) but it ignores the discourse of Canadian soccer over the last 15 years. It ignores official CSA policy seeking parity. It also ignores the role the women have had in Canada building the game. And pressuring the soccer establishment.

All we're saying is you don't bury an Olympic champion callup for home games beneath a men's friendly callup. And they didn't.

Certainly the WNT deserved the roster drop attention, no doubt.  Also, this MNT roster is not just for a friendly.   It’s pretty much a Copa drop with perhaps a few extras.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It’s also just a basic social media/comms strategy. Canada soccer gets most of its engagement for roster drops and key tournaments. You drop both men and women on the same day, you get less engagement than if you split it between days. 

In the past 10 or so days, we’ve hired a coach, announced a women’s friendly, had several big Canadian championship games, dropped a women’s roster and a men’s roster (against huge opponents) is about to drop. Realistically, this is the most relevant Canada soccer has been in the media since the last World Cup, and it’s in the federation’s best interest to time their announcements to maximize attention. 

59 minutes ago, jhoops__ said:

Certainly the WNT deserved the roster drop attention, no doubt.  Also, this MNT roster is not just for a friendly.   It’s pretty much a Copa drop with perhaps a few extras.

Fair enough, though the roster we are going to see now will have quite a few more than we can take to Copa. They've said so. I suspect we'll have 30 guys. 

I imagine it is because we have the money from our fees in Netherlands and France and a few more hotel rooms or plane tickets is easily covered. And then Marsch gets to see a bigger group, and speak to those he has not spoken to personally yet (I get he's been in touch with a core of 6-8 personally so far, but not sure). 

It also is helpful because we have the two friendly games in a short period and will need to rotate, I think.

I think the only restriction will be those few MLS teams playing during the international break, affecting our key players it would be Timbers (Crepeau, Miller, McGraw), St Louis (Hiebert), Minnesota (St Clair, Tani) and Dallas (Fraser). IMO we should take all of them, maybe you could leave out Hiebert and McGraw. There is no other player who may have a reason not to be there of a larger group of near 30.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Related, Xavi was fired today. Because we did that, we have to pay a year's remaining contract, which is 20 million euros before taxes, so they say, 10 million net. If we'd accepted his resigning we would have saved that. 

But to the point: South Korea offering 1.5 million euros plus to Xavi, over 2 million CDN, if we are going to be generous, was a long way from what he was making as a club manager. In contrast, Marsch did not seem to have any club offer anywhere near that and the Korean salary offer was likely attractive for him. And perhaps he leveraged it to get the CSA to raise theirs.

This is the first year in all the years I've followed the sport that manager signings and firings and changes are more lively and interesting than player movements. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

18 hours ago, Bigandy said:

Hey man,  Maybe you should take a quick break to relax. 

Throwing insults around and jabs whenever someone disagrees with you on an online forum is pretty absurd... don't you think? We can also have a private discussion where we compare our playing resumes if you truly believe I've never played at a high level but to justify one's opinion by attacking anothers playing level is a bit pathetic imo. 

Honestly man, go read your posts.  You argue incessantly about things you clearly don't grasp or aren't following while claiming other peoples posts and opinions are nonsense.  Get a grip, try to understand you don't know it all and have been proven wrong.

I wasn't trying to insult the level you played or have not played at, i'm truly sorry if it came out that way.  It was purely in reference to not understanding dressing room dynamics and the role assistant coaches and captains play.  I don't know how else to say it, but you were wrong, and most people would eventually realize that and admit it instead of digging in.

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, costarg said:

Difference is I've also been a critic of Sirois, Crepeau, Vitoria, Miller, MacGraw, Choiniere, Borjan, Piette....  I've also supported and pushed for JMR, Gavran, "the Italians", do you see a pattern?  There is no bias, I just call it like it is without allegiance.  Know what else?  So has the media and anyone else who's been watching them.  Just honest commentary which is what we're here for.  Take this how you will, but this is more than you can say for yourself.

I'd love to live in this reality you've created for yourself, where you're the pure, un-biased arbiter of everything to do with soccer in this country and anyone who challenges you is obviously wrong, a newcomer to soccer or a shill.

Connecting comments about Bradley to anti-TFC bias is a stretch.  Being pissed off about all the Bradley crap is actually pretty normal.  I'm a fan and they screwed things up, the team was better than that, and I'm annoyed by it.  It's passion which is normal for a supporter.  Lots of CANMNT and even guys that turned down CANMNT bring out the worst of some of us.  But to come on here and argue against every single honest comment about anyone who plays or played for TFC is not the point of this forum.  Bare minimum here, should be to remove the club goggles at the door and discuss things from a CANMNT perspective.

You'll notice that I haven't argued for or against Bradley in this thread at all. I initially called out the absurdity of your statement that he is responsible for who his father is, then followed that up with two posts pointing out your propensity to go into attack mode when others on here challenge your obvious bias.

Go ahead and check. That's all I've written in this thread (plus one comment about Marsch's appearance on that Jimmy Conrad podcast), meanwhile a not-insignificant number of your 44 posts in here are about the former TFC captain and how much he was a failure in his final years at TFC. Which leads me to ask who is wearing the club goggles in here?

Edited by RS
Added more

3 hours ago, costarg said:

Honestly man, go read your posts.  You argue incessantly about things you clearly don't grasp or aren't following while claiming other peoples posts and opinions are nonsense.  Get a grip, try to understand you don't know it all and have been proven wrong.

I wasn't trying to insult the level you played or have not played at, i'm truly sorry if it came out that way.  It was purely in reference to not understanding dressing room dynamics and the role assistant coaches and captains play.  I don't know how else to say it, but you were wrong, and most people would eventually realize that and admit it instead of digging in.

I think this is a moot point as you're saying my opinions are wrong and your right.  But I'll simplify my arguments. 

I'll simplify my arguments: 1. Wearing a captains armband does not mean it is possible to control every single player on your team at all times, no matter how good of a captain you are. 
Example: balotelli 

2. The role of a 3rd or 4th assistant coach is supportive and that role does not mean they are 100% responsible for every aspect of team dynamics, leadership, etc. 

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Just a general note: 

The most biased thing you can say is that you are not biased.  We all are and everything is.

And having someone/something agree with you doesn't change that.  Google showed that with their AI debacle recently: even a computer can only work what it is has received as input. 

And Lopetegui? Let's get down to some real football manager discussions, what do you think?

Couldn't be less relevant than a hypothetical assistant coach for Canada. 

Regarding assistants, I see a lot of coaches have their usual staff and like to stay with them. Herdman took his whole core group to TFC. I see Flick rumoured for Barça has two guys he had at Bayern, one a goalkeeper coach, and it's a package deal, he's not told to find local assistants. Marsch apparently has two guys as well, can't find the names now. 

The only difference is that Bradley had never worked with Marsch so he can't argue he's a key piece of his team.