Jesse Marsch: CanMNT manager

1 hour ago, Kent said:

For the branding issue. Toronto FC plays at BMO Field, where the M stands for Montreal. No problem. Similarly there are T's for Toronto for the stadium in Ottawa and an arena in Boston (and an M for Montreal in LAFC's stadium).

The Vancouver Whitecaps used to be sponsored by Bell, who was part owner of Toronto FC at the time (at least part of the time).

Allstate, an American company that even has the word state in it to underline that, has sponsored Canada Soccer for years.

Nobody has cared about optics in any of those situations or whatever other ones I have missed. Maybe not quite like for like (maybe the Bell one) but still a touch odd. But ultimately it's helping pay the bills.

You do realize that this is a discussion board for CMNT soccer and not Canadian banks? 

All those examples you provided are not in the business of what they are supporting. The BMO CEO of Scotiabank is not a thing. 

50 minutes ago, kacbru said:

You do realize that this is a discussion board for CMNT soccer and not Canadian banks? 

All those examples you provided are not in the business of what they are supporting. The BMO CEO of Scotiabank is not a thing. 

The thing that made me think of this was when Bell and Rogers bought MLSE, and therefor Toronto FC, and someone jokingly mocked up a picture of the Whitecaps jersey with the small Whitecaps logo in it's corner spot, and the big Bell sponsor on the front was replaced by the TFC logo. The current situation is like being worried about that sponsorship and Bell exerting it's sponsorship dollar power to force Vancouver into bad trade deals with Toronto FC or something. Especially when you consider that it's not "MLS" that is actually sponsoring the head coach job title (like it wasn't TFC sponsoring VWFC), it's the owners of the 3 Canadian teams (that I believe want good things for the Canadian national team, whereas MLS as a whole might want a lower ceiling on Canada's progress, meaning they want Canada to do well, but probably not as well as USA).

2 minutes ago, kacbru said:

Imagine the owners of Cardiff City and Swansea putting up money to pay for part of the salary of the coach of the Wales men's national team - with the condition that it is branded the EFL Wales National Team Head Coach. 

It wouldn't happen.

And we don't eat a lot of Bara brith.

I think it looks wrong because it's not the MLS who put in the money.  

But if that is the actual issue, it a minor negative in a general and critical positive.  Or is there something more?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Do people outside Canada get upset playing in the Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions Cup?  Canadian company (and a name that means Scotland).

The key difference being that there is no hint of a conflict of interest in a multi national corporation being a sponsor of a multi national competition. Imagine if it was called the Canada CONCACAF Champions Cup. Or if Scotiabank was like Red Bull and had their own club in the competition. 

The men’s national coach is responsible for selecting players and the majority of those decisions involve MLS players - so that is where a perceived conflict of interest is concerning. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

He was wanted by the majority of the USMNT fanbase, was the obvious choice in so far as top American coaches, but then he was embarassingly passed over for ....Berhalter 2.0.

A long time ago. His stints at Leipzig and Leeds along with some of his comments on CBS/podcasts turned a lot of people off long before Berhalter was rehired. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

The key difference being that there is no hint of a conflict of interest in a multi national corporation being a sponsor of a multi national competition. Imagine if it was called the Canada CONCACAF Champions Cup. Or if Scotiabank was like Red Bull and had their own club in the competition. 

The men’s national coach is responsible for selecting players and the majority of those decisions involve MLS players - so that is where a perceived conflict of interest is concerning. 

Of course there is a "hint" of conflict of interest, they are actually the Bank of Nova Scotia legally (why are they hiding that) they could secretly favour Canadian teams in set up or format or something because that is where they are ultimately regulated and where a great deal of their consumer business occurs (and their holdings in other countries are  often called different things.) 

But there are rules to prevent this.  And it is pretty silly to think they could get away with it.  Certainly not worth it for them.  It is pretty dumb to think it will happen. Right? 

Same situation with this except there is added insulation in that the donations were publically announced as philanthropic which carries another set of rules. 

Incredibly dumb to announce it and put out the name bright and loud while planning anything that would be a conflict of interest.

The name is bad because it is not the MLS that made the donations, but anything beyond that is a huge reach.  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 hour ago, kacbru said:

Imagine the owners of Cardiff City and Swansea putting up money to pay for part of the salary of the coach of the Wales men's national team - with the condition that it is branded the EFL Wales National Team Head Coach. 

It wouldn't happen.

I just don't get how some guys are justifying this. It's completely absurd.

Okay okay...more money? But wait how much!? 250k from each franchise...so we're paying Marsch substantially more than what Herdman got?...okay I want to see results, and that doesn't mean agaisnt Netherlands, Or Argentina but we gotta bear better fruit than what Herdman yielded .

The ends have to justify the shame right?

Posted (edited)

this thread is a clown show with the paranoia...it took like 6 hrs to get his name right on this thread so im hoping maybe a week to start talking about futbol....god i hope they call saputo s son to camp

btw TFC are the most charitable club in the world they are giving 15 mil a year to that charity insigni

Edited by reggietfc

4 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

The name is bad because it is not the MLS that made the donations, but anything beyond that is a huge reach.  

Well full stop, what else do you need?

How did MLS get their name on it, and they didn't have anything to do with it?

Will MLS now better promote the CMNT? Or does this philanthropic sponsorship mean more youth teams littered with their clubs?

All the rest is semantics...as Canadians know the word Scotian or Scotia. To say their is a "hint" of conflict of interest is super naive. 

5 minutes ago, reggietfc said:

this thread is a clown show with the paranoia...

Not really...if all you care about is TFC in the 36 team American League than you've lost sight of the bigger picture. Or you simply just don't care - and that's fine 

I hope I'm wrong, and we all can celebrate with the MLS Canada Men's National Team as he takes us to new honours...not honors. 

11 minutes ago, reggietfc said:

this thread is a clown show with the paranoia...it took like 6 hrs to get his name right on this thread so im hoping maybe a week to start talking about futbol....god i hope they call saputo s son to camp

btw TFC are the most charitable club in the world they are giving 15 mil a year to that charity insigni

Is this a bad time to announce that my official title has changed to "Footy Prime CSN user Canuckia"?

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Shway said:

Will MLS now better promote the CMNT? Or does this philanthropic sponsorship mean more youth teams littered with their clubs?

All the rest is semantics...as Canadians know the word Scotian or Scotia. To say their is a "hint" of conflict of interest is super naive. 

We know how the name got on it, its what the primary Canadian donors had in common.  

If it was called something else, would it be fine? 

Because MLS can't influence anything, there are rules against that in a double layer.  And, again, if they are secretly planning to break those rules, announcing it and using the name is really stupid.

It is what it is. If the owners decided to let the MLS take the name credit, I think its dumb, but it changes nothing substantial. Those who care, like us, read the press release and know who made the donations (we can judge the football); those who don't care, what are they going to do to affect things?

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

Not really...if all you care about is TFC in the 36 team American League than you've lost sight of the bigger picture. Or you simply just don't care - and that's fine 

I hope I'm wrong, and we all can celebrate with the MLS Canada Men's National Team as he takes us to new honours...not honors. 

nah....i care about good players.i dont care where they are playing,can,us ger spain timbucto...i guess you dont  watch nba.nhl.mlb

i would love a 15 team 1st div canadian league.i wish we had that kinda big money backing

28 minutes ago, reggietfc said:

They are still paying Michael Bradley too lol

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

We know how the name got on it, its what the primary Canadian donors had in common.  

If it was called something else, would it be fine? 

Because MLS can't influence anything, there are rules against that in a double layer.  And, again, if they are secretly planning to break those rules, announcing it and using the name is really stupid.

It is what it is. If the owners decided to let the MLS take the name credit, I think its dumb, but it changes nothing substantial. Those who care, like us, read the press release and know who made the donations (we can judge the football); those who don't care, what are they going to do to affect things?

Ya. The Kerfoot/MLSE/Saputo National Team Manager ™️ just doesn't roll off the tounge the same

Edited by narduch

37 minutes ago, Shway said:

Well its 3 mls clubs that provided the money. That's how.

They are not gonna call the coach

"The Saputo Whitecaps MLSE Canadian National Manager"

Holy shit people its a fucking  name it's not that deep.

Before we start coming up with conspiracy theories lets gove this at least a month. Then start coming up with your lizard theories please.

Also, our youth teams have always been mls heavy. They cant get more mls heavy then they are now. 

2 hours ago, kacbru said:

It wouldn't happen.

So? I don't even care about this new honorary title in Canada, why would I care if that hypothetical honorary title happened in Wales?

This is just a funny little footnote and a bit of positive publicity for the Canadian MLS teams. Thank you for supporting the national team Canadian MLS teams! And we're done.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

So? I don't even care about this new honorary title in Canada, why would I care if that hypothetical honorary title happened in Wales?

This is just a funny little footnote and a bit of positive publicity for the Canadian MLS teams. Thank you for supporting the national team Canadian MLS teams! And we're done.

It's not Canadian MLS teams though.  It's MLS.  I'm not talking about who actually provided the money, I'm talking about who gets the credit.

6 hours ago, Kent said:

The thing that made me think of this was when Bell and Rogers bought MLSE, and therefor Toronto FC, and someone jokingly mocked up a picture of the Whitecaps jersey with the small Whitecaps logo in it's corner spot, and the big Bell sponsor on the front was replaced by the TFC logo. The current situation is like being worried about that sponsorship and Bell exerting it's sponsorship dollar power to force Vancouver into bad trade deals with Toronto FC or something. Especially when you consider that it's not "MLS" that is actually sponsoring the head coach job title (like it wasn't TFC sponsoring VWFC), it's the owners of the 3 Canadian teams (that I believe want good things for the Canadian national team, whereas MLS as a whole might want a lower ceiling on Canada's progress, meaning they want Canada to do well, but probably not as well as USA).

I wonder considering MLS is a registered trademark ™️ if they had to request permission from the league FO to do that. It's extremely odd to brand without in fact getting money from the brand. Or to use a registered name officially without an official agreement. 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Kent said:

So? I don't even care about this new honorary title in Canada, why would I care if that hypothetical honorary title happened in Wales? ...

The three Canadian MLS clubs are members of the CSA and compete in the Canadian Championship rather than the US Open Cup. All three have League One level teams. TFC wanted to have a team in CanPL at launch alongside their MLS team. The Whitecaps are going to be part of Project 8 at launch. Not the same scenario as Wales where the clubs in the English pyramid (Cardiff, Newport, Swansea, Wrexham and Merthyr) are not part of the FAW and are not linked to Welsh domestic football.

The addition of MLS to the MNT job title has given some of the more extreme nationalists on here a reality check more than anything else as to what the status of MLS currently is in a Canadian context. FIFA has been happy to allow the USA and Canada to share leagues for close to 60 years now because they are happy to do whatever it takes to get the sport to break through to the same level as sports like hockey and baseball who have also traditionally used that approach in a North American context.

MLS isn't an alien intrusion but something that is the flagship of our sport in Canada in domestic pro league terms as far as the mainstream media and most sports fans are concerned.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I wonder considering MLS is a registered trademark ™️ if they had to request permission from the league FO to do that. It's extremely odd to brand without in fact getting money from the brand. Or to use a registered name officially without an official agreement. 

100% they did - MLS pretending they didn’t know is right up there with “Canadians can’t count as domestics because of US labour laws”. Anyone who has followed the league for any amount of time knows that the head office controls anything and everything in the league. 

5 hours ago, kacbru said:

It's not Canadian MLS teams though.  It's MLS.  I'm not talking about who actually provided the money, I'm talking about who gets the credit.

Except how often do you think people are going to see this job title outside of the announcement news where it's stated who gave the money? I might be wrong, but I'm guessing it will be very rare for anyone more casual than us to see this job title.

And besides, so what if the entire league gets credit? The effect of that in Canada would presumably only be beneficial to the Canadian teams. I don't think someone is going to see the job title and suddenly become a Real Salt Lake fan.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I don't know anything about trademarks, permission, etc. But to answer your first question, yes, MLS is trademarked... kinda.

https://www.crea.ca/standards-programs/trademark-protection-competition/

If you don't want to click the link, MLS is trademarked and it stands for Multiple Listing Service.