Jesse Marsch: CanMNT manager

15 hours ago, Hawkguy said:

It's insane that these people are what we have to listen to in Canada as far as experts. 

There's zero chance Mauro would EVER be considered for a Bundesliga job, let alone a Premier League job. I wouldn't even expect Mauro to get a legitimate shot a Championship level team, maybe even League 1 in England. 

Marsch, like him or not, is so far ahead of Mauro that's hilarious to even mention them in the same category. 

Mauro is not the bar. Herdman is!

15 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

In every interview I have seen from him about loving our player pool, he has mentioned "intelligence" and "athleticism." So who knows. 

Really?! I expected him to call them morons and sloths. What do you want him to say? 

I need to vent my disappointment with this selection. It may take me a couple more weeks. Hopefully, I'll be over it by the Dutch game.

Definitely by the end of Copa America,

But if Marsch soils the bed, I'll issue several I-told-you-so posts. On the other hand, if Marsch is housebroken and there's no shit to clean up, I'll gladly eat crow.

Incidentally, today I understand the posters who didn't like Herdman. I feel the same way about Jesse (James). He's all sizzle and no steak.

4 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Really?! I expected him to call them morons and sloths. What do you want him to say? 

I know his appointment has really hurt you personally, you have told us, but not sure what you are on about.

The context was whether he would pick a certain player.  Those were the positive qualities he choose to highlight in our squad during multiple interviews, so I thought it might be a clue as to what players he will chose.  I think the player has one of those qualities and not the other (at this point in his career.)  Hence the "who knows."

Simple. 

1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I know his appointment has really hurt you personally, you have told us, but not sure what you are on about.

The context was whether he would pick a certain player.  Those were the positive qualities he choose to highlight in our squad during multiple interviews, so I thought it might be a clue as to what players he will chose.  I think the player has one of those qualities and not the other (at this point in his career.)  Hence the "who knows."

Simple. 

There's a meme in other sports that reminds me of Marsch's intelligence and athleticism. Play the right way. It's a catch-all phrase that means everything and nothing.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Charlie points out the biggest flaw with Marsch and his tactics in managing CMT. Canada's biggest weakness is the back line. Marsch's style of play demands that the back line be the strongest aspect of the team because as Charlie said the backline will be left on an island by themselves. We'll see how Marsch reconciles this problem.

Edited by Sal333

18 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

There's a meme in other sports that reminds me of Marsch's intelligence and athleticism. Play the right way. It's a catch-all phrase that means everything and nothing.

Then you honestly need to stop paying attention to memes and other sports and watch/read what he said or better yet watch his football (that is not over a decade old).  Stop letting others ( but only those who have something negative to say) tell you what to think.

He didn't say "play the right way".  If you watch, you there are lots of good qualities to have as a footballer.  He mentions a number of other ones in reference to specific players.  "Athleticism" and "intelligence" were his responses to the question, from multiple interviews, about what attracted him to the squad. 

To be clear, not the only qualities he mentioned but one that he repeated as a deciding factor in coming.

You nailed your colours to the mast on this, I respect that. I find it hard to respect the honesty ignorant takes to support that position and especially saying you are imaging your I-told-you-sos when Canada fails.

Again way too personal for me to take seriously.

39 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

I need to vent my disappointment with this selection. It may take me a couple more weeks. Hopefully, I'll be over it by the Dutch game.

But if Marsch soils the bed, I'll issue several I-told-you-so posts. On the other hand, if Marsch is housebroken and there's no shit to clean up, I'll gladly eat crow.

Incidentally, today I understand the posters who didn't like Herdman. I feel the same way about Jesse (James). He's all sizzle and no steak.

I have similar feelings but I won't issue any  "I told you so posts"😀 I can be won over as I was with Herdman after being skeptical about that hire and the way it transpired! I don't think it is a bad thing to question the hire because there were going to be risks involved no matter who the successful candidate was, this is normal for any club or national team job and quite frankly is part of being a football fan! There were  misogynist and now hints of xenophobia labels being thrown around for anyone who opposed or questioned the last 2 appointments which is a little ott in my opinion! 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Totally fair comment and I get why you feel that way.  I agree with a lot of it.  I will only throw in I don't think it's possible we'd hire a coach where 80% of us would be happy.  There just isn't the money and stability for that.

I choose to be happy, confident, and hopefully as surprised as I was with Herdmans results.

Edited by costarg

If he fails there is always time to pull a Morocco and hire someone else months before the World Cup.

Personally I have a feeling he will surprise people. The bigger risk will be someone poaching him.

We should have some set goals.

Making the Nations League semis. Making the 2025 Gold Cup semis.

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

If he fails there is always time to pull a Morocco and hire someone else months before the World Cup.

Personally I have a feeling he will surprise people. The bigger risk will be someone poaching him.

Reaching the NL semis has to be a minimum expectation for this group, regardless of Marsch.  

The Gold Cup is an expanded format, with 2 teams from AFC, CAF, CONMEBOL and UEFA. Typically I would say GC semi final must be the minimum expectation, but with the expansion I think semi final could be a major achievement.

Who knows what teams show up, though. Will it be invite or some form of qualification mechanism? If I were a team from another confederation anticipating to be in the world cup, I would want to be part of the Gold Cup to get familiar with the environments in a tournament setting.

That could lead to some pretty serious teams coming over here to participate in GC 25, but on the flipside CONCACAF may not want all heavy hitters coming and embarassing their home nations, so maybe they'll be some weaker teams tossed in. 

Regardless, much as I want to say GC semi, I am going to put that on my wishlist and downgrade my expectation to QF, at least until we know who the participants are. 

4 hours ago, Shway said:

Apologist theory.

Remember this was mentioned because it was stated that MLS is our top league, and someone rightfully replied basically with "how if Canadians aren't considered domestic."

It's still a big deal because when you take the Canadian teams out of that 42 list, it probably drops drastically.

oh wow great point..last time i checked they are still providing the bulk of the players and now are paying for a upper tier coach,meanwhile the cpl have broke the csa and its funny they are allowed to have 7 imports per club.and are helping other countries like trini to fill there roster and maybe beat us on given day

23 minutes ago, gator said:

I have similar feelings but I won't issue any  "I told you so posts"😀 I can be won over as I was with Herdman after being skeptical about that hire and the way it transpired! I don't think it is a bad thing to question the hire because there were going to be risks involved no matter who the successful candidate was, this is normal for any club or national team job and quite frankly is part of being a football fan! There were  misogynist and now hints of xenophobia labels being thrown around for anyone who opposed or questioned the last 2 appointments which is a little ott in my opinion! 

I love to argue the good and the bad of his football and the possible player selection but it feels very far from that sometimes. 

15 minutes ago, narduch said:

I think he is here for the 2 years, most likely not beyond that, good or bad.  Someone said they were okay with that and I think I am too.  That would be the time to build really long term, hopefully with someone Canadian.  We needed the best candidate available for a crucial time. I feel that was him.  

About getting fired or poached: one thing maybe I get from perspectives beyond this board is that the bar is actually low, especially in the short term.  I think we can do something at the Copa, and will be disappointed if we don't, but in the end it is all about the World Cup, which is when the contract ends.  As far as being poached, worth remembering he turned down a couple chances to jump straight back into (admittedly rough situations in) the Premier League.  He wants an opportunity to shine, I think, and that's one of reasons I take his comments about our squad seriously.  

Just now, reggietfc said:

oh wow great point..last time i checked they are still providing the bulk of the players and now are paying for a upper tier coach,meanwhile the cpl have broke the csa and its funny they are allowed to have 7 imports per club.and are helping other countries like trini to fill there roster and maybe beat us on given day

lol what.... 

My friend only worry about our competition, and not about the nations that beneath us. Plus you're spewing out false information.

Rampersad and Moore are the only born Trinis.

Long are those days.

17 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I feel like the worse attribute a coach can have is a system he likes to play. I think a manager should coach according to the players he has at his disposal and who they are playing against. Even more so with a national team when you're basically forced to coach what you've got. You can't go around the world signing players who have attributes that suite your style of playing. In other words.. you can't set up Canada to play like Barcelona when they're playing against France. You might be able to when they're playing against Guatemala

I also mentioned a dislike of coaches that can't bend to their rosters a while back.  However there are two different things to this.  1- Is formation vs system.  It's possible to play a specific system yet be flexible in formation and Marsch has shown this flexibility.  2- It really helps that his system fundamentally does suit our squad.  On paper this "should" be a good fit.   Any Ozil/Pirlo types will not play under Marsch, I guess its a good thing we don't have that player. 

I was way more concerned about Herdman adopting the Costanza approach to soccer, "just do the opposite". 

• "Croatia dominates the midfield?  Lets not play midfielders and play on the wings!"  
  • "Our strength is counter-attacking with our speed?  Lets learn possession football!"
  • "We don't have strong CB's?  Lets play with 3!"

From what I've seen Marsch's approach is a lot more logical and pragmatic, yet very taxing and intense.

29 minutes ago, narduch said:

I have alluded to something like this, as well, and now with the three Canadian MLS ownerships involved with their endowment, it makes "moving in a different direction" in latter 2025 an easier option than a cash strapped organization being married to their guy for better or for worse.

I hope he takes us to another level in both performance and results.  However, I suspect that he'll have a fairly short leash around these parts, so that should make for some entertaining future posts.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Shway said:

lol what.... 

My friend only worry about our competition, and not about the nations that beneath us. Plus you're spewing out false information.

Rampersad and Moore are the only born Trinis.

Long are those days.

if only this if only that  ..im giving you facts...no mls no world cup

i dont care what league the players come from,i want a strong nat team and a good domestic league.

im done with topic

cheers

Edited by reggietfc

58 minutes ago, narduch said:

I think there is no real litmus test big enough to justify canning him at any point before the World Cup. 

The only scenario really is if the core player group tells the CSA they don't want him anymore, there would have to be that sort of situation. 

We have a number of nice challenges in the next year and a half: win a game in Copa America, first, then get out of the group; get to a Nations League or Gold Cup final in 2025. Win one of those finals and thus a trophy before the World Cup.

I even suspect we'll get home games next Gold Cup (I think we should). Then we will likely be touring our two venues before the World Cup doing the obligatory friendly preparation matches, so local organising committees and events people in stadiums can get sharp on FIFA standards. In other words, we'll even have chances to get results, official and in friendlies, before the WC.

Just doing one of the three main things (win at Copa and get out of our group at Copa, get to another final, win a final), will be enough to mitigate any problems in any of the other scenarios.

But now that we have Marsch in as our manager, who should make our 26 man squad for Copa America?

- GK (3)- Maxime Crepeau, Dayne St Clair, Jonathan Sirois

- CB (9)- Alistair Johnston, Moise Bombito, Joel Waterman, Derek Cornelius, Kamal Miller, Luc de Fougerolles, Sam Adekugbe, Lukas McNaughton, Scott Kennedy

- RWB (2)- Tajon Buchanan, Ali Ahmed

- LWB (1)- Alphonso Davies

- CM (4)- Stephen Eustaquio, Sam Piette, Ismael Kone, Mathieu Choiniere 

- AM (2)- Jacob Shaffelburg, Liam Millar

- CF (5)- Jonathan David, Ike Ugbo, Theo Bair, Cyle Larin and Jacen Russell Rowe

Assuming it is 26 man squads, then I definitely hope Marsch chooses these players

28 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I have alluded to something like this, as well, and now with the three Canadian MLS ownerships involved with their endowment, it makes "moving in a different direction" in latter 2025 an easier option than a cash strapped organization being married to their guy for better or for worse.

I hope he takes us to another level in both performance and results.  However, I suspect that he'll have a fairly short leash around these parts, so that should make for some entertaining future posts.

I am not sure he would be canned no matter how bad the results are, do you think the 3 clubs will dig deeper for a buy out clause then hire MLS Canada Coach 2? Others seem to think he is the guy right through the World Cup and I tend to agree, let's just hope he isn't a disaster! The last few seasons I have seen QPR make a bunch of managerial changes, the dynamics are a bit different for a club manager with many more matches but I have seen 1st hand what a problem waiting for a guy to turn things around can be, let's hope we have got things right here! As far as entertaining posts on here I mentioned about a message board meltdown yesterday! 🤣