Jesse Marsch: CanMNT manager

14 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

This'll likely come out in the wash, if it hasn't already, but I would not be surprised if Blue, in his effort to correct the financial boondoggle the CSA got themselves into, approached the owners of the Canadian MLS clubs to see if they might help underwrite Marsch's salary. It is a smart move, all things considered, but if and only if he did not give away too much in order to secure this donations.  Aside from some super clunky branding, what else are the MLS owners/clubs getting in return for their philanthropy. I don't doubt that Kerfoot and Saputo were on board to kick in cash for the good of the game in this country, and perhaps once they were on board MLSE had to chip in or end up looking like Big City Dickwads.  But there is no way in hell Marsch would sign a contract where he is forced to select players from specific clubs because those clubs have subsidized his salary. From what I've read, that is just not in his character.

CSA may have promised MNT matches in all three cities. What else might they have promised? We may find that it isn't much at all, but time will tell.  I, for one, am not particularly worried about this arrangement. In fact, this might be a bit of genius scrambling, the sort of stuff a small business owner such as myself kinda admires. 

I would rather trust a deal between CSA and MLS than between the CSA and some shady offshore Spanish media company who has a history of fucking over federations. Kek.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

BTW KJ leaked on OneSoccer that we are playing the US in a friendly in the fall.

This was already leaked by Westhead two months ago (March 18th)

https://www.tsn.ca/national-team-success-could-compound-canada-soccer-s-financial-woes-1.2091802

Unless KJ said:

- if it was in September or October

- what city the USA is hosting us in

....than that's old news.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Posted (edited)

As for hiring Marsch, I feel this is a solid hire.  Is he an upgrade on Herdman? Who the hell knows, but I feel he comes into the team at a time, and with the experience, skillset, and drive to help our program take an additional step--maybe two?--and that is probably as good as it gets for us right now. That sounds like faint praise, but it really isn't. We have to be pragmatic on this journey. We're barely toddlers on the world stage. We've got to develop better systems for developing players and coaches etc. and we have to get better at raising money for our programs, and all of this will require steady, intelligent leadership and time.

Marsch is but one piece of the next step. I hope he helps us advance the cause. Blue, the CPL, the MLS are some of the other important pieces. I am optimistic. Cautiously, of course. 

Edited by The Beaver 2.0

4 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Joey Saputo is a philanthropist? That's an oxymoron.

I can't speak about Joey himself, but with a broader brush, the Saputo's are definitely major philanthropists.  I've heard of 7 figure cheques being written on more than a few occasions.  

I’m a little disappointed. I would have rather them waited to get someone to really take this team to the next level. I just feel he won’t get the players respect. At the very least this team needed a no nonsense manager.

Kerfoot has funded Canada Soccer for more than 15 years particularly residency to friendlies to youth teams for the women but has eschewed publicity. Saputo is using his name rather than CFM which tells me, it's also personal. MLSE has MLSE Foundation for these type of things. 

And all 3 MLS teams have been directly/indirectly involved with Canada Soccer from youth development to matchday ops. New MLSE head also has a penchant for these type of deals and said the World Cup is the thing he's most excited about that is under MLSE's umbrella. So, I don't see Canada Soccer needing to give away anything consequential. Canadians pay for their tax deduction.

If it's like NCAA model, they get their name plastered here & there + VIP access but otherwise, it's about personal legacy, passionate about a sport/school and giving back. 

So, Blue is pulling more levers like we wanted. Player fees are increasing. And now he got Saputo/MLSE who weren't previously linked directly to funding Canada Soccer. But truly new things are transparency about these type of deals and branding of a manager. 

5 hours ago, Sal333 said:

I copied a post from X that expresses exactly how I feel.   

"Leeds fan here. This is not good. Prepare for someone with an ego who puts himself over the team. 

Different angles and ways to see this.  In his time with the Impact, he definitely put the team over the player, and I'm ok with that part, but not sure I ever noticed him putting himself over the team.  I can see him confronting a guy like Davies to play more of a role as opposed to doing whatever he wants. Personally I feel that's a good thing.

My concern was his obsession with Collen Warner and Davy Arnaud over Patrice Bernier.  Seemed like the same recipe over at Leeds when the team was chasing US players.  I hope being a national team we'll be sheltered from that.  I'll be concerned the day he starts MacGraw over Bombito.

Posted (edited)

Lets be honest, someone with his resume, if they had an European/South American passport, we'd be reacting differently. Objectively, he checks all the boxes: has coached in Canada, knowns CONCACAF, was a former international assistant coach during WCQ and a World Cup, has coached in Europe and has done so at the highest level, and is a good motivator. On top of that, he seems to dislike Berhalter and likely has a bone to pick with the USSF.  Arguably one of higher profile and experienced coaches we have ever hired. IMO its worth giving the man a chance.

Edited by LeoH037

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

It's a 2 year appointment.

Can't see it being more or less than that, honestly.

2 years works for every party.

And if Smyrniotis and Wheeldon are serious about wanting the job in two years, now is the time for them to start working on padding their resumes and challenge themselves. Because if in 2 years they're still just kicking around in CPL, my answer is still "hard pass" no matter how many times they've won the CPL.

100 years from now no one is going to care how Marsch got this gig.  Hopefully within a couple of months from now no one will care, we'll just all be glad that he did. 

LOL.  Of course the opposite may be true.  Nobody wants that but a lot of the wrong kind of noise already on day one.  Bit of a fumble that, which is too bad.      

2 hours ago, shermanator said:

People cry for more funding for the national teams and then bitch when that funding comes. Canadian soccer in a nutshell.

Yeah, normally people whining on the internet doesn't bother me, but some of the takes in this thread are straight up embarrassing. Think I'm gonna give this thread a pass from now on.

14 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

The last two clubs he coached maybe (19-14-25)?

Let's be real.

If you have a winning record in the Bundesliga or the Premier League, you stay or move up in those league (or similar). You don't jump to international football (maybe at the end of your career) normally and certainly not to a team FIFA-ranked in 40s.

Would you take his MLS record alone,  88-37-52?  

33 minutes ago, costarg said:

American ok, but where do you see the spots exactly?  170-66-103

That is a good record overall but his most recent time at Leeds wasn't great, I followed the Impact while he was there and he wasn't in Germany for long, his record in what I consider two of the top leagues in the world is unimpressive! Since he hasn't managed a national team before I think this is a risk regardless of the passport, I really hope it works!

10 minutes ago, masster said:

One of the main reasons I like this hire...is that Marsch was interested in our program and this position before we became 'good'. He isn't just somebody jumping at the opportunity of a home World Cup. That makes me believe his intentions are more than just a pay cheque.

I think his intentions are legit , at the same time I am sure he has a massive chip on his shoulder, and wants to prove some doubters wrong .