Jesse Marsch: CanMNT manager

24 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

7-The MLS money tells us a few things. First, we have been looking at guys who are asking more for themselves and staff than what Herdman was making. Second, I wonder if we went to look for the money after hearing what was requested, or if we already knew we'd fall short and then had it to offer. 

8-Probably they've asked for 150-200k from each club, this year, and next. Because we had half a million to 7000k to spend but soon found that was not enough. The clubs can get it back via friendlies organised for the NTs, perhaps. 

I've heard previously that Herdman (or at least his support staff) was already being paid for by philanthropic donations, so I don't think anything has really changed beyond having it more out in the open.

Sure, they sponsored his salary, but he's also not going to pick inferior players and lose his job. Why does Marsh care who's paying his salary as long as it keeps getting paid? I know it's the CSA, but are they really going to fire a Manager that has the team performing above its station? I just don't buy it being a problem for the MNT Manager. If anything it's at the youth levels where they're likely trying to buy influence.

2 hours ago, El Diego said:

Did the MLS owners give money to sign a head coach or did they give money to sign Jesse Marsch. If it's the latter then that's very problematic.

You already know the board room babble that'll be mouthed out.

LOL.  Rest assured, these private monies in no way bought those private parties access into Canada Soccer's decision making process.  

OK.  Good to know.

Neither here nor there with the hiring itself.  Underwhelmed but we all know we're in a tight spot these days so here we are.  Could have done worse.

Here's hoping the man is the right man in the right place at the right time.   Just like Herdman was.  

Posted (edited)

I guess the CPL fans have never heard of an endowed coaching positon.  They’re just familiar with paying for things by robbing Peter to pay Paul. 

Here’s and explanation from someone familiar. 

https://medium.com/@kevinablue/how-coaching-endowments-work-and-why-they-are-important-809a477e6ec4

Edited by Meepmeep

17 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Which non-MLS venue should they be playing in? 

Hamilton, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Ottawa, Montreal Olympic Stadium.

I get your point though, but Hamilton literally hosted a pretty big game quite recently. 

To be honest none of us should laugh or complain.

Hes the best CV of a coach in awhile and we actually outbid a team.

also, we knew we were poor. Blue is thinking outside the box and being creative, guys we want to play with the big boys but don’t have the budget. It won’t always be this way, but it is for now. This is a welcome solution I don’t care what it’s called, we got a good coach and I’m happy about it.

he’s wanted this job for years, remember that.

18 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Which non-MLS venue should they be playing in? 

Not advocating for this theory, just providing this as an FYI. The following are the only instances of CMNT playing games in Canada at non-MLS stadiums in the past decade.

Nov 12, 2021 (World Cup Qualifying) Canada/CR at Commonwealth Stadium, Edmonton
Nov 16, 2021 (World Cup Qualifying) Canada/MX at Commonwealth Stadium, Edmonton
Jan 30, 2022 (World Cup Qualifying) Canada/USA at Tim Hortons Field, Hamilton

Prior to this there is one match in Edmonton in 2013 and 2008, Claude-Robillard in 2006...and prior to this they were all non-MLS, technically, but early 2000s are littered with Swangard, Kingston, and Edmonton...

A return to Kingston for literally any footy would be great, IMO.

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Im totally good with Marsch as the coach 

I just wish they kept the who "MLS charity" thing to themselves. It sounds a bit too creepy for me. I really don't need to know how the sausages are made

Yeah I'm sure when it was leaked by Westhead in a few months you'd totally be more cool with it than it being told upfront in the press release so it was out in the open

2 hours ago, Acid-Tone said:

Not too worried about watching how he set up at Leeds. 

Good coaches adapt their "systems" to best utilize and feature their best players. I expect him to do that as well.

But didn’t he set up the same Red Bull way at NY, Salzburg, Leipzig, and Leeds? I think the point is that he is not known as an adaptable manager. He asks his teams to fit his conception of football. Hence his recent failures  

We will see… and our roster is young, at least in the mid and forwards and can run, but if I was a sporting director (or a manager) I don’t think I would go about acquiring our best players if I wanted to press like that. Countering, yes, but a narrow gegenpress with Davies, Buchanan, David - no, not really. 

It also makes for ugly football quite often. And we’ve had enough of that over the years. 

I have little choice but to support the manager but I do not like this one bit, this MLS Canada coach thing is ridiculous and I am not real keen on an American with a spotty record taking over our team! Of course I don't know the dynamics of the hire and maybe this was the best we could do but I am underwhelmed! 

Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2024 at 1:29 PM, Watchmen said:

I don't think there's that many really bashing him. And for those that are, I think it's mostly because of his passport (be it he's not Canadian or he is American, take your pick).

He was considered a bad coach at Leeds because he was American…really didnt get a chance there.

Edited by Raven

55 minutes ago, Meepmeep said:

I guess the CPL fans have never heard of an endowed coaching positon.  They’re just familiar with paying for things by robbing Peter to pay Paul. 

Here’s and explanation from someone familiar. 

https://medium.com/@kevinablue/how-coaching-endowments-work-and-why-they-are-important-809a477e6ec4

I've got no problem with an endowed coaching position.  But it is a bad look when it generates the perception of a conflict of interest.  Westjet head coach, Tim Horton's head coach - all fine.  MLS (or CPL) not so fine.