Jesse Marsch: CanMNT manager

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

Basically splitting hairs at this point

Ah not really. If the "charitable" donation covers 20% or 100% of his salary. That's a pretty big difference in my mind.

20% ok fine. 100% would be outrageous 

1 hour ago, RS said:

Interesting tidbit from the press release:

The appointment of Marsch is assisted by major philanthropic contributions from the owners of the three Canadian-based MLS clubs – Vancouver Whitecaps, Joey Saputo, and Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment – and supplemented by other private donors. In recognition of their significant philanthropic support, Marsch’s position will be formally titled as the MLS Canada Men’s National Team Head Coach during the term of his initial contract. This type of donor recognition is common at universities and hospitals, in NCAA sports, and is starting to be used in the Canadian sport system – for example, with the Stollery Family Women’s National Team Head Coach support at Golf Canada.

These commitments are part of a forthcoming major gifts program that will provide Canadian philanthropists with a structured opportunity to support Canada Soccer programs of all types – including the Men’s and Women’s National Team systems, from youth teams up through the senior national teams.

Joey Saputo is a philanthropist? That's an oxymoron.

26 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I wonder how the CPL coaches who interviewed for the job feel about it

Booby Smyrniotis we've got some good news, bad news for ya. The good news is we've secured a new "philanthropist" arrangement with MLS teams. The bad news is ahh...

Like they lost out to a more qualified candidate I would imagine.

1 hour ago, Acid-Tone said:

With all things considered, I like the hire. 

And it's a welcome bonus that he'll be a bit more motivated to beat the US than most others would've been.   

And how many times will we play the USA in the next 2 years?

3 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

I copied a post from X that expresses exactly how I feel.   

"Leeds fan here. This is not good. Prepare for someone with an ego who puts himself over the team. He plays a very narrow system so the Alphonso Davies conundrum will be even more complicated than ever. He talks way more than he actually walks."                                                        "

Let me preface with, no matter how much I dislike this decision unlike some in the past, until he loses the job, I will support the coach.  Because if he loses, I lose.

But some of this feels icky already.  That whole phone call thing with Blue made my old school body cringe.  I worked under a boss and his buddy and it wasn't good, especially when the day of reckoning comes and one of them has to save his own skin, then it hurts everybody.

This whole possibility of a soap opera with the US gives me the creeps

I want to get out all my vile and venom now because I am soon going to have to support this.

He did pretty well in MLS and Austria, but didn't have the best of time in Germany or England. He should know Concacaf, which is normally the only teams we play, but not during this current tenure. Anyways, looking forward to seeing his teams

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

Glad they took my advice. Not on who to select, but on getting this done this week. 😉

I am open-minded about this appointment, will take a wait-and-see approach, but I am glad that they are not simply sticking with Biello as a head coach. I don't mind if Mauro, Stalteri, etc. stay on as assistants, mind you.

Marsch was recently on a podcast with Jimmy Conrad & Charlie Davies talking about how optimistic he was about Canada's chances at the Copa, which may be worth a re-watch given this news. I will see if I can find it on youtube when I have a moment

This is the video I was referring to, I forgot that you need a VPN or to be outside Canada to watch it even though it is entitled "Where does Canada rank? | 2024 Copa America Power Rankings And Predictions! | Call It What You Want"

6 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Let me preface with, no matter how much I dislike this decision unlike some in the past, until he loses the job, I will support the coach.  Because if he loses, I lose.

But some of this feels icky already.  That whole phone call thing with Blue made my old school body cringe.  I worked under a boss and his buddy and it wasn't good, especially when the day of reckoning comes and one of them has to save his own skin, then it hurts everybody.

I want to get out all my vile and venom now because I am soon going to have to support this.

That phone call made me cringe also. I didn't know how to articulate it but you just did.

10 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

This is EXACTLY how I feel... except the old school body part. 

6 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

And how many times will we play the USA in the next 2 years?

Good point. I did say that would be a bonus.  So we won't be getting the bonus.  I'm still fine with the hire.

When I wrote "all things considered" in my original post.  I was basing that on who I believe were the other candidates that Marsch beat.

I think he's a better hire than Stefan Kuntz, the CPL guys, or an internal hire. Are we aware of any others that interviewed? 

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

This is the video I was referring to, I forgot that you need a VPN or to be outside Canada to watch it even though it is entitled "Where does Canada rank? | 2024 Copa America Power Rankings And Predictions! | Call It What You Want"

Re-watching this video again through my work computer (which goes through a US VPN), Marsch says in this video from April 1 2024 (where he ranked Canada #7th in the power rankings out of the 16 teams, higher than Conrad or Davies), that Canada's problem (at least post-Herdman) was that they were not organized enough defensively, and that they would have to come up with new solutions to address that, which he says should involve "being more compact and deeper and incredibly explosive on the counter". He also says that after Argentina & Brazil, Canada's attacking group is among the best teams at the Copa. He concludes that he's excited to see what they look like at the Copa America...

Edited by Gian-Luca

Posted (edited)

The best, realistic option available, IMO. With our limited resources and top heavy talent pool, I’m not sure how realistic a tactical renaissance is, regardless of who’s coaching this team.

The most critical aspect for me therefore is finding a coach that will unify the dressing room and reignite the “brotherhood” swagger that was so successful and apparent during WCQ. I think Marsch will get the most out of our players and will have them embracing the scrappy underdog role. Given the crater that the CSA and co. have dug for us, I’m personally fine with that as the pathway forward.

Edited by FC_Hali

14 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Good explainer on how he set things up at Leeds. He plays very narrow so I’m curious what he sees in our roster since we’re strongest out wide. 

An excellent explainer. We selected the wrong coach for the players we got. As you said our strengths are out wide. Marsch's system needs more top-notch midfielders than we can provide. It'll be great watching Davies, Buchanan, Millar and all our other wide players being neutered in midfield.

2 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Im totally good with Marsch as the coach 

I just wish they kept the who "MLS charity" thing to themselves. It sounds a bit too creepy for me. I really don't need to know how the sausages are made

That and the video are not my favourite, if I am honest.

But at the end of the day, the football I watch is on the pitch.

I think he was the best realistic candidate (maybe Kuntz) and gives us a tactical identity that we really need.

You do what you need to do and I don't have to love every bit.

(For instance, the majority of West Ham signing videos make me a bit embarrassed, but they are not for me really.)