Jesse Marsch: CanMNT manager

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

Source?

With all due respect, its just common sense. For all the flaws he undoutebly has the man could have still invested his money in better and safer venture from a business standpoint. He got Canadian Soccer and is still in it because when all is said and done it genuinely does matter to him.

40 minutes ago, kacbru said:

I can't wait for MLS Canada Men's National Team Head Coach to name his first roster and then have to explain why all the MLS-based players have been held back because MLS doesn't break for FIFA windows.

I'm going to give this new job title the Rogers Centre treatment

2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

When Herdman was manager, certain powerful and rich people in Canada donated oodles of money to make sure we qualified for 2022.  Those charter planes shuttling us between Toronto and Central America did not come free.  Maybe some of them had MLS links.

They just didn't see value in "anonymous" donation anymore. Got to love marketing/sponsorship because usually those comes with *expectations

Posted (edited)

I wonder how the CPL coaches who interviewed for the job feel about it

Booby Smyrniotis we've got some good news, bad news for ya. The good news is we've secured a new "philanthropist" arrangement with MLS teams. The bad news is ahh...

Edited by SpursFlu

I understand the concerns being raised of the Canadian MLS teams investing in this hire, but I feel they might be overblown. 

I think they likely understand that if Canada Soccer is doing well, attention is brought to the sport, which raises their team profiles and butts in seats in Montreal, Vancouver and Toronto. So spending a bit to get a higher profile coach more likely to succeed is beneficial for them as well. 

Just now, SpursFlu said:

I wonder how the CPL coaches who interviewed for the job feel about it

Don't know and don't care. We were into getting the best possible coach and I'd argue Marsch is a way better option then either at this stage.

I would also argue (not to you but in general) that we are doing stuff like this specifically *because* of the CSB deal. Due to lack of cash at hand we have to turn to donors and when you essentially ask for charity you don't get to quibble about who give it to you unless there are genuinely horrible people. Blue found the money, good on him for that and noting more to it.

In a very real way that kind of things is part of the price we need to pay the get the CPL on solid footing (which I am ok with paying) and due to how terrible at negotiating Montagliani and co were (which I'd rather not pay but here we are).

One could just as easily say that this ties the reputations of the MLS teams to success of the CMNT; and that they should now be more invested in success. (If one were engaged in loosely supportable speculation.)

4 minutes ago, phil03 said:

With all due respect, its just common sense. For all the flaws he undoutebly has the man could have still invested his money in better and safer venture from a business standpoint. He got Canadian Soccer and is still in it because when all is said and done it genuinely does matter to him.

I kid, but this is basically what he did no? He lives and is clearly more invested in Bologna than Montreal. Obviously a much better opportunity there than here, but the last several years in Montreal have been a case of having very little money to spend on anything, CF Montreal is currently wasting a golden generation of fan support in the team. Not to take away from his donation to Canada Soccer to help us make this hire of course. Most supporters want him to sell the team in Montreal to someone more invested though.

44 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

Part of me is fine with Marsch as manager but the donations from the MLS owners feel very, very bad to me. Feels like preference will be shifted over to their players for future roster builds, but perhaps my tea leaves are suggesting something that isn't there.

I don't agree with this poster too often (well never) gut two old saws come to mind

"He who pays the piper call the tune" and The Golden Rule of Business  "Whoever has the gold, rules"

I'll never object to people funding anything, if they want to put their name on a stadium and get customers and recognition from that, fine.

But I don't see a benefit from this, when Marsch goes does the next guy get money to keep him from going to Azerbaijan and who will be bending his ear and keeping players off or wanting to put players on the team.

Great that money is being raised, that's why we hired Blue but I was looking for money from Ford and Molsons not people with a conflict of interest.

But, like I always say beggars can't be choosers.

Just now, InglewoodJack said:

I kid, but this is basically what he did no? He lives and is clearly more invested in Bologna than Montreal. Obviously a much better opportunity there than here, but the last several years in Montreal have been a case of having very little money to spend on anything, CF Montreal is currently wasting a golden generation of fan support in the team. Not to take away from his donation to Canada Soccer to help us make this hire of course. Most supporters want him to sell the team in Montreal to someone more invested though.

I don't disagree with most of what you said but I'd also argue that as problematic as his micronomaging and tantrums are they do show he still very much care about the Impact... When all is said he could also probably cash in his chips by selling the club (and if it would someone who'd like to keep it in MTL it would be for the best IMO) and reinvest in either Bologna or some other non-Soccer venture but appart from one vague invocation of the danger of a move as part of a plea for more sponsorship money there hasn't ever been any signs its in the cards.

For me the real issue with the guy is that he is a eurosnob and when he rebranded to fit that sporting culture rather then ours he expected the fans to see like him: as us becoming a true grown up club... Instead the fans didn't like that their sporting culture was not considered worthy of a grown up club and wanted to keep their club's name and branding as it was. Since then he has more or less been pouting, with the whole giving more attention to Bologna being a key result of it.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, narduch said:

The press release says the 3 MLS clubs are paying Marsch's salary. That's the source 

Wait a second can we get some clarity here

I'm having a bit of fun with it but the MLS teams are not paying his salary. That can't be correct 

The MLS teams have made a charitable donation (giggle) that will go to a portion of his salary.

There is no way they're paying his entire salary 

Edited by SpursFlu

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Wait a second can we gat some clarity here

I'm having a bit of fun with it but the MLS teams are not paying his salary. That can't be correct 

The MLS teams have made a charitable donation (giggle) that will go to a portion of his salary.

There is no way they're paying his entire salary 

Basically splitting hairs at this point.

The press release says 'major contribution'

Edited by narduch

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

I don't think there's that many really bashing him. And for those that are, I think it's mostly because of his passport (be it he's not Canadian or he is American, take your pick).

Well, count me as one of the few who will bash him and it has nothing to do with passports. I'm from Montreal and I was happy when he left and hoped never to have him coach another team I rooted for.  Besides CF MTL and the NT, I also root for Napoli.       

I copied a post from X that expresses exactly how I feel.   

"Leeds fan here. This is not good. Prepare for someone with an ego who puts himself over the team. He plays a very narrow system so the Alphonso Davies conundrum will be even more complicated than ever. He talks way more than he actually walks."                                                          "

Marsch named Canadian men's soccer head coach
Neil Davidson The Canadian Press May 13, 2024

American Jesse Marsch, whose coaching resume include stints in England's Premier League, Germany's Bundesliga and Major League Soccer, has been named coach of the Canadian men's soccer team.

Canada Soccer said Marsch, the former coach of Leeds United, RB Leipzig, Red Bull Salzburg, New York Red Bulls and Montreal Impact, takes over immediately with a contract that runs through July 2026.

Marsch, who becomes the 20th Canadian men's head coach, has a 170-66-103 managerial record, according to Canada Soccer.

“Jesse is a transformational leader who will drive progress for our men’s national team — and for Canadian soccer more broadly — as we enter the most important time in the domestic history of our sport," Kevin Blue, Canada's soccer's chief executive officer and general secretary, said in a statement.

"He’s been a successful manager at the highest levels of global football, helped advance a CONCACAF nation out of the group stage at the FIFA World Cup, and is an experienced builder who will make a significant impact on the landscape of our sport."

The Canadian men have been without a permanent coach since John Herdman stepped down last August to take over Toronto FC.

Assistant coach Mauro Biello has been serving as interim coach since then. The former Canadian international was a candidate for the permanent job.

Canada Soccer said Marsch's hiring was "assisted by major philanthropic contributions" from the owners of the three Canadian-based MLS clubs — Vancouver Whitecaps, CF Montreal (Joey Saputo) and Toronto FC (Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment) — and supplemented by other private donors.

"In recognition of their significant philanthropic support, Marsch’s position will be formally titled as the MLS Canada Men’s National Team Head Coach during the term of his initial contract," Canada Soccer said. "This type of donor recognition is common at universities and hospitals, in NCAA sports, and is starting to be used in the Canadian sport system — for example, with the Stollery Family Women’s National Team Head Coach support at Golf Canada."

Blue's resume included stints as athletic director at the University of California, Davis, and senior associate director of athletics at Stanford University.

A former U.S. international midfielder, Marsch played 14 seasons with D.C. United, the Chicago Fire and Chivas USA from 1996 to 2009.

His served as an assistant coach under Bob Bradley’s staff on the U.S. team that reached the round of 16 at the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa.

He coached the Montreal Impact, now CF Montreal, to a 12-16-6 record in 2012 season but left by mutual agreement after the expansion club's inaugural season.

He took over New York Red Bulls in 2015 and was named coach of the year after leading the club to the MLS Supporters' Shield.

In 2018, he moved elsewhere in the Red Bull soccer family, joining RB Leipzig in Germany’s Bundesliga as assistant manager to Ralph Rangnick. After the 2018-19 season, he became manager of FC Red Bull Salzburg of the Austrian Bundesliga, leading the club to a league and cup double in both of his seasons in charge.

Marsch rejoined RB Leipzig in 2021, this time as manager. He led the club at the end of the year and took over England's Leeds United in February 2022.

He was fired by Leeds in February 2023 with the club just above the relegation zone.

The search for a permanent replacement to Herdman has taken time.

Canada Soccer looked to hire a general secretary first, then a men's coach. But the timeline was delayed when former MLSE executive Allyson Walker was hired but never took up the general secretary job in January, citing undisclosed personal reasons.

The search resumed after Blue was appointed in late February.

It's a big summer for the 49th-ranked Canadian men.

Taking part in Copa America as one of six CONCACAF guest teams, Canada has been drawn in a pool with No. 1 Argentina, No. 32 and No. 42 Chile.

Canada has scheduled high-profile friendlies with the ninth-ranked Netherlands and No. 2 France ahead of the tournament, which runs June 20 to July 14 in the United States.

The Canadian men have gone 2-2-0 under Biello.