Match Thread: Voyageurs Cup - Quarter-Finals - Leg 1 - Forge v CF Montreal - May 7, 2024

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Didn't see any of the first. Aside from the late flurry of chances Montreal looked the more comfortable side in the 2nd. Both teams can take something from this result, but it puts Montreal in the driver's seat.

5 hours ago, Stanley said:

Yay, let's all channel our inner Toronto Lynx for this game.  Who came up with this genius promotion, the Hartrells?

Maybe, maybe not. Having 15k out to watch a game where your team was the clear underdog but played well enough to get a result against an MLS team should win some new fans, no?

Couldn't make it to the game like many due to work but watched all of it on Fubo. Fun game for any neutral. Forge the better team in the first half. Montreal definitely with the advantage for most of the second with their halftime substitutions. Forge's flurry of chances at the end makes them the slightly better team overall but the result puts them in a tough spot going to Montreal.

1 minute ago, longlugan said:

Couldn't make it to the game like many due to work but watched all of it on Fubo. Fun game for any neutral. Forge the better team in the first half. Montreal definitely with the advantage for most of the second with their halftime substitutions. Forge's flurry of chances at the end makes them the slightly better team overall but the result puts them in a tough spot going to Montreal.

This made me chuckle!! Good thing you were 'working'. 🙂

43 minutes ago, johnyb said:

Maybe, maybe not. Having 15k out to watch a game where your team was the clear underdog but played well enough to get a result against an MLS team should win some new fans, no?

And, even if all those kids only paid, say, $10 each Forge still did pretty well on ticket sales.

Posted (edited)

I'm confident the school children did not pay entry. Typically these arrangements are done with schools for free. Schools do not pay thousands to get kids to sports events. Happy to be proven wrong on this. 

Edited by Mihairokov

1 minute ago, Mihairokov said:

I'm confident the school children did not pay entry. Typically these arrangements are done with schools for free. Schools do not pay thousands to get kids to sports events. Happy to be proven wrong on this. 

The Jays do school days where it is all filled through group sales deals, the kids come close and far on subway, buses etc, it is a zoo outside the dome before and after with all the buses pulling up. 

I just had it on in the background while working, but it seemed like a pretty even match. Hopefully all those kids enjoyed what they saw. The second leg should be entertaining

10 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

I've been involved with a school field trip to a local minor league team's school day in June for several years now. I don't know what arrangements other schools make but for us the kids who want to attend (it's an optional outing) pay the $15 or so for the ticket, which is equivalent to the lowest priced ticket tier for that team. Most come loaded with another $40 or so of mom and dad's money and spend it on overpriced concessions. The team does very well for itself that day.

I would be very surprised if any minor league team running such an event was letting kids in for free. What would be the point?